Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Bucs Trading Glennon to Draft Winston Is Mistake

It's mid-February, and I'm already very concerned about where the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are headed.

A month before free agency and two-and-a-half months before the 2015 NFL Draft, Bucs fans should be worried about the direction of the team at the most important position on the field.

Are the Buccaneers about to make a major mistake? Is Tampa Bay destined to draft an immature quarterback?

For a bit of context, let's follow the bouncing ball over the last 15 months in Tampa ...

Two Decembers ago, following the completion of a 4-12 season, the Bucs fired Greg Schiano. Shortly thereafter, Tampa Bay brought in Schiano's polar opposite, Lovie Smith. Players love Lovie, some reportedly loathed Schiano -- so the move had to work, right? Tampa was incredibly aggressive in free agency, signing a bunch of notable players, including quarterback Josh McCown, who was fresh off a career year in Chicago. Lovie immediately gave McCown the starting job without any type of competition against second-year pro Mike Glennon. The Bucs let everyone know -- through their actions and their words -- that 2014 would not be a rebuilding year. This team was expected to be in the thick of the playoff race.

Then Tampa Bay crashed and burned, posting an unfathomable 2-14 mark. This offseason, there's been plenty of buzz about Glennon being on the trading block. On Wednesday, the Buccaneers cut Josh McCown. All signs point to the Bucs plucking a quarterback with the top overall pick in late April.

And round and round we go.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000470412/article/tampa-bay-buccaneers-should-pass-on-jameis-winston-in-draft

It's just one persons opinion, but it's one I generally agree with. It's known the Bucs need to do something with their QB situation. But of all the options out there, I genuinely believe that drafting Winston is the absolute worst way to approach solving that problem. I am not much a fan of Mariota, either... But at least he's a good person.

The article is fairly long and goes more in depth than what I C&P'd above. From NFL.com, it was actually a surprisingly good read, in my opinion. Check it out.

What do you think the Bucs should do?

What do you think the Bucs should do?

Well clearly Lovie and co. are not sold on Glennon, and because of that they basically HAVE TO draft who they think will be their potential franchise signal caller. Whether that's Mariota or Winston is irrelevant. The Bucs put themselves into a position where they've got to gamble on a quarterback whether they like it or not.

You aren't Lovie though. Have you seen enough from Glennon to keep him around or are you saying you would take the Lovie route as well?

And taking a guy just for the sole reason that he's "safe" isn't the right option either.

You aren't Lovie though. Have you seen enough from Glennon to keep him around or are you saying you would take the Lovie route as well?

Honestly I'd draft Mariota or Winston. Otherwise the Bucs will very likely end up with a Top 5 pick in 2016 as well as Lovie likely losing his job. My personal opinion on how to build a franchise follows as...

1. Acquire a franchise quarterback

2. Protect franchise quarterback (O-line)

3. Build defense to get to opposing quarterbacks

If you don't get the franchise quarterback, at best you will be in limbo as a fringe playoff contender, but drafting too late for a blue chipper at quarterback. Pretty much exactly where my Texans are at.

• Upvote 1

I've voiced my dislike for drafting a QB in the 1st round at all this year before, but for the sake of discussion I'll assume Winston and Mariota are the only options.

Here's the way I see it. There's 3 general traits all great QB's have in today's game: On field physical ability, on field mental ability, and off the field dedication to the game (Which obviously aids the on-field mental ability).

Every QB bust lacks at least one of those. For a few it's physical, for most it's mental due to either not having the capability to make quick and accurate decisions, or the time just isn't put in off the field to be good at those things to begin with.

Obviously we aren't going to know how these guys pan out until they are in the league, but from everything I've read or heard from the different analysts that look at these guys, there's a suggestion that Mariota could possibly lack in on-field mental ability, while Winston is more likely to lack in off the field dedication.

Now it stands to reason if Winston indeed would lack off the field dedication, than his on-field mental ability would also take a hit, as is the case with many before him who had great college level skill but couldn't translate to the NFL. I'd personally rather see us take a chance on Mariota based on his possible off the field dedication to the game, which as we've also seen with many QB's can result in an improved on the field mental ability.

At this point Glennon leaving is the only option. Bucs have made their bed, time to lie in it. Though I still hate that Lovie didn't even give Glennon a chance.

Glennon will likely never be more than an average starter. His accuracy is all over the place and he has zero mobility. I'd like to keep him as a backup but if someone comes offering a 3rd or 4th, I say take it.

Sorry, Glennon is nothing more than a good backup QB. It's really not all that hard to see when/if you watch him play in any of the games he's gotten his chance in and he's gotten plenty of chances.

Winston is clearly the better on-field QB and that's pretty much the consensus. If the deep investigation/background check on Winston comes out clean, then he will, and should be, the pick. It's the ONLY thing that is keeping him from being the unquestioned top pick.

The draft is a crapshoot, for the most part, especially when picking a QB. When you need one, and you think there is one in the draft, then you have to take that leap. Only time will truly tell.

If you want to win (get into the playoffs and advance/win the SB), you need a QB.

Of course you don't take one just to take one, but once again, if you think there is a potential franchise QB, you have to take him.

I will be good with either QB and let time be the teller, but I would prefer Winston. Of course the off the field stuff needs to check out first. That's my stance/opinion on it.

Edited by BucD

It's the ONLY thing that is keeping him from being the unquestioned top pick.

You referring to his talent level or the thought that Bucs are taking him #1?

Any chance the Bucs let Winston/Mariota sit their rookie years or would they immediately be given the starting job?

Edited by RevisFan81

Any chance the Bucs let Winston/Mariota sit their rookie years or would they immediately be given the starting job?

Doubt it. That's almost unheard of nowadays.

Doubt it. That's almost unheard of nowadays.

:yeahthat: remember how the Jaguars were going to let Bortles sit his rookie season? unless you haven a serviceable starter ahead of him, like the Titans did in Hasselbeck when we drafted Locker, a highly drafted rookie will end up starting

But neither Winston or Mariota will be franchise QBs... So what you are saying is the Bucs shouldn't draft either of them? ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Actually... Yes. Lol, if Lovie Smith and Co. agree with you, it'd be a bad idea link your fate to a QB bound to bust.

But God forbid they pass on one of them and they pan out somewhere else...

Either most anticlimatic first pick or best smokescreen ever....

I'd still take an epic defensive player (or trade down and do the same) and just take Hundley or somebody later on and let him compete with Glennon. I almost pity Buc fans.

• Downvote 1

Unless Jameis gets popped for another stupid crime/controversy before the draft, I'm convinced the Bucs are taking him first overall.

I was more or less trolling....kinda what I feel Lovie was doing.

Fact is we are not even half-way through the process. Calling your #1 pick right now for ANY reason is just talk.

I pity JD for being a moron and suggesting the Bucs draft nameless epic defensive player (lol) and then let two shit QBs who have no business starting for anyone battle in camp (how many times have the Bucs done this?). If you're going to give some BS about drafting some epic defensive player instead of a QB you should at least put a name to that, but you can't because there isn't any. :rolleyes:

I pity JD for being a moron and suggesting the Bucs draft nameless epic defensive player (lol) and then let two shit QBs who have no business starting for anyone battle in camp (how many times have the Bucs done this?). If you're going to give some BS about drafting some epic defensive player instead of a QB you should at least put a name to that, but you can't because there isn't any. :rolleyes:

He's trolling, man. lol