Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

NASCAR Discussion Thread

crazy to see Jimmy not survive the first cut, it's weird for NASCAR because it demonstrates exactly what they wanted the new Chase system to do, which is force drivers to go for wins, but at the same time it definitely weakens the appeal when one of the most recognizable drivers is no longer in contention

we're going into the Contender Round and no more bonus points for wins (I still don't get that rule) here are the twelve drivers remaining (who are currently tied because no bonus points):

Matt Kenseth

Joey Logano

Denny Hamlin

Carl Edwards

Martin Truex Jr.

Kurt Busch

Jeff Gordon

Brad Keselowski

Kyle Busch

Ryan Newman

Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Kevin Harvick

Edited by oochymp

Matt Kenseth has been suspended for 2 races for intentionally wrecking Joey Logano.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't go ahead and suspend him for all three of the remaining races, wonder if that'll become a story line for the championship race if Logano advances

I decided we didn't need a new NASCAR thread, Daytona's Sunday and the 24 is on the Pole, I don't expect Chase Elliot to fully pick up where Gordon left off, but he's certainly starting off right

By Jared Turner
Feb 24, 2016 at 9:08a ET
In one of the most unexpected manufacturer realignments in NASCAR history, Ford Performance announced Wednesday morning that Stewart-Haas Racing will switch from Chevrolet to Ford as its auto manufacturer partner starting with the 2017 NASCAR season.
SHR currently fields the teams of Tony Stewart, Kevin Harvick, Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick, and has been with Chevrolet since its inception in 2009 when Stewart joined with team founder Gene Haas to become co-owner of the organization formerly known as Haas CNC Racing.
“Motorsports is an extremely challenging environment where in order to maintain success you have to constantly innovate. It’s true in NASCAR and it’s true in business,” Haas said. “We’ve enjoyed great success with Chevrolet, but this opportunity with Ford allows us to evolve while continuing to compete at the highest levels of the sport.”
SHR has won two Sprint Cup championships in its seven-year existence -- with Stewart in 2011 and Harvick in 2014.
“I am proud of our association with Chevrolet as they helped build our organization into the team it is today,” said Stewart. “This new partnership with Ford allows us to strengthen our position in the sport and ensure the long-term stability and success for everyone who is a part of Stewart-Haas Racing.”
The move to Ford will mean the end of SHR's longstanding technical alliance with Hendrick Motorsports -- a fellow Chevy organization -- from which SHR receives engines and chassis.

Carl Edwards is retiring effective immediately, Daniel Suarez will be taking over the 19 car, surprising would be an understatement

I've stopped caring about NASCAR but had to stop when I heard this news. Stunning is an understatement.

Only a casual NASCAR fan now, but I read this today and was like... wow.

:(

Another shocking NASCAR retirement, Dale Earnhardt Jr. is hanging up the helmet after the season. NASCAR has to be shitting their pants with ratings dropping and now their most popular driver leaving.

R.I.P NESKAR