Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Defensive PI could become a 15-yard penalty

Posted by Mike Florio on February 24, 2015, 2:32 PM EST

In past years, teams periodically have pushed for a transformation of the defensive pass interference penalty from being a spot-foul to a 15-yard walk-off. Recently, there’s been no momentum toward making a change of that nature.

There may be now.

NFL executive V.P. of football operations Troy Vincent told Judy Battista of NFL Media that the league may explore making defensive pass interference a 15-yard penalty as an alternative to making pass interference subject to replay review.

While that tends to take the sting out of a bad pass interference call, it creates a fresh incentive for defensive backs to tackle any receivers who get behind them. Why not gladly give up 15 yards in lieu of being burned deep?

It makes much more sense to make pass interference subject to replay review, as the CFL did in 2014. Getting it right should be about getting it right, not reducing dramatically the potential consequences of getting it wrong.

Far better than to make defensive pass interference a 15-yard penalty would be to create two tiers of pass interference, as there is for roughing/running into the kicker and as there used to be for face mask fouls. While far from a perfect outcome, it’s much better than removing the spot-foul outcome of defensive pass interference.

Source: ProFootballTalk

Oh, thank god. Please, please do this!

Oh, and get rid of illegal contact while you're at it.

do it

nFSebim.gif

This should be called the Joe Flacco rule, he's the absolute king of throwing up prayers and drawing PI.

You took the words right out of my mouth. It's been well-documented that the Ravens benefit from more defensive pass interference penalties than any other team.

I'd rather see them just lax on the rule a lot more because I'd hate to see what would have been a TD turn into a 15 yard penalty due to a PI. However, if they don't see that as an option I'm glad they're doing something about this rule. I'm up for anything that helps the defense a little more.

All of this "should have been a TD" talk...there's no guarantee the ball gets caught, and THAT is why the spot foul rule was fucked up and stupid in the first place.

PLEASE do this! Tired of offenses using this to get easy yards.

Thank god. No one knows what PI is anymore. Stop penalizing teams so much for them when about half the time the refs are wrong.

This should be called the Joe Flacco rule, he's the absolute king of throwing up prayers and drawing PI.

Yeah, really! It's gotten pretty ridiculous lately as well.

Interestingly, Eli Manning is 2nd on drawing PIs since 2008.

Edited by BigBen07