Favre4Ever

Patrick Willis Plans to Retire

Welcome to the Al Chris Borland show.

Man, TGP's main banner's gonna really be outdated now...

• Upvote 2

This sucks. Patrick Willis has been one of my favorite LB's in the league since his rookie year. Physical, great tackler, high motor, leader, play maker, great hits, sideline-sideline player, exciting; everything you want the leader in the middle of your defense to be. It sucks to see him go so early in his career. He was definitely having a Hall of Fame career. If he's really retiring over an injury, that speaks volumes because it's no question how much Patrick loved the game. I respect his decision and wish him the best.

30 is a great time to retire for players who actually take hits on a play-by-play basis. I don't blame him.

Wow all my favorite players are gone.

It seems early for such a premiere LB to be retiring. I remember when Willis had nothing but hype coming out of college. One of the few guys to be all that and more throughout his career.

Will be a huge loss not only for the 49ERS but the NFL as a whole.

Was there some major injury concerns? As far as I recall it was just this last year that he had to abstain from playing due to injury. He's not super old and he can still play, clearly.

Is there a chance that he's not liking the direction the 49er organization is going, and wants to play for another contender to win a SB before he actually retires? I.e. Pulling a Brett Favre

If Patrick Willis is indeed retiring, it's a sad day for the NFL. He will be missed greatly by not only 49er fans but all NFL fans as well. One of my favorite players since he came into the league and he's been a consummate pro throughout his career. Played the game the right way at an all-pro level for a long time. Best of luck to whatever holds in the future for him.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the Al Chris Borland show.

Bo & Bow show. :notbad:

You have to wonder how many things this offseason with the 49ers, this Willis news included, wouldn't have happened if Jim Harbaugh were still head coach.

This is a complete shock to me. Was there any indication of this at all?

At first it was weird since MJD retired, but now it effectively works as a fitting tribute to two very good players of the 00s. :yep:

That works. :notbad:

I heard Willis is retiring for religious reasons.

Wow. If he's doing it for that, much respect. That's not an easy decision when you have it made in the NFL :clap:

Edited by Dutch

It was a pleasure to watch the guy play. I heard Justin Smith was thinking about hanging it up too. 49ers could be losing 2 massive pieces to their defense. At least with Willis stepping away from the game the hers have Borland and Bowman to man the inside. Losing Justin Smith could be disastrous for that team.

I heard Willis is retiring for religious reasons.

any more details than that?

Earlier today, Ruthless Sports Guy reported at BASG that a source indicated Patrick Willis is retiring in part due to "a religious awakening of sorts".

I can't confirm that is the only reason, but I am hearing from a source that he wants to be more involved with his church. I have heard that is strictly related to his church, and has nothing to do with his recent toe injury recovery.

If you follow Willis on Twitter, you might have noticed in recent months that he has tweeted much more frequently on the subject of religion. I figured he was getting a little more religious, but never thought that it would result in his decision to walk away from football. He has dealt with a toe injury lately, and has a history of broken hands, but it sounded like his rehab was going well on the toe.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/3/9/8175389/source-patrick-willis-wants-to-get-more-involved-with-his-church

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/source-patrick-willis-is-retiring-after-religious-awakening/

Edited by Favre4Ever

interesting, I'd always wondered if any players took issue with playing on Sundays

I bet he comes back. Sitting around at 30 won't be appealing for very long. It's obviously a tough time for SF with the fallouts of the other pillars, so that had to have something to do with it.

Edited by BC