Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Saints Trade Jimmy Graham to Seahawks

Saints are blowing up the team.

What a joyous day.

The real question to me is what in the world happened btw Brees and Graham that hurt their relationship so bad. Nobody talked about it much, but Jimmy G was on my fantasy and I first notice the drop in numbers there. Then I remember watching NO vs SF one Sunday and Brees was intentionally freezing Graham out. No two ways about it, just not throwing to an open #1 target.

That's why I'm not shocked that he was dealt. The Seahawks almost always trade out of the back of the 1st round so not shocked they gave up their #1 pick. But man giving a weapon like this to the team that has went to two straight SBs..... :badass:

Looks like the Seahawks now have the one thing they were missing.

The real question to me is what in the world happened btw Brees and Graham that hurt their relationship so bad. Nobody talked about it much, but Jimmy G was on my fantasy and I first notice the drop in numbers there. Then I remember watching NO vs SF one Sunday and Brees was intentionally freezing Graham out. No two ways about it, just not throwing to an open #1 target.

what makes you think their relationship was bad?

https://twitter.com/Alex_Flanagan/status/575418821411872768

anyway, this makes a lot of sense for the Saints just because of their cap situation, Graham was their fifth biggest cap yet, yes he's a huge difference maker, but when you're in cap trouble you can't afford the luxury of spending that much on a TE, part of me wonders if we'll see a move soon involving Evans or Grubbs, who are the second and fourth biggest cap hits respectively, does having a great center make having two great guards too much of a luxury?

I think this was a great move by the Seahawks. Yeah they gave up Unger and a 1st round pick but those two assets can't impact their team like a Jimmy Graham can. Graham will be that big target especially in the redzone for Russel Wilson. This makes them a much more dangerous team on offense. I like this move and it will be big for them.

I don't like trading a first round pick, but Unger is very overrated and finding a different Center might be great for Seattle.

No player in the draft at 32nd overall will be better than Jimmy Graham. It's technically possible ofcourse but the odds are slim to none. The Seahawks have been to two Superbowls in a row. They have kept their main nucleus of players. They don't need much to get over the top. Maybe they think if Russel Wilson threw to Jimmy Graham on the 1 yard line in the Superbowl instead of giving it to Lynch they would have won.

:smug:

What an exceptional player to get, matchup nightmare for any defense. Imagine lining up a defense against us. You'd be asking your D-line to not let Wilson get behind them, an outside linebacker and a strong safety to try and somewhat slow Jimmy Graham from slaughtering you down the middle, but then also have one of the most devastating forces coming out of the backfield who requires gang tackles to be brought down. Put Graham in motion and we have something similar to what we wanted to ultimately accomplish with Harvin.

But is our O-line is shambles now? In all of a 3-4 day span we lost Zach Miller, Max Unger, and James Carpenter. This is pretty bittersweet looking. 31st overall could've been Byron Jones or a solid corner. It really looks like that position might suck next year and I'm not stoked there.

Edited by BC

what makes you think their relationship was bad?

https://twitter.com/Alex_Flanagan/status/575418821411872768

anyway, this makes a lot of sense for the Saints just because of their cap situation, Graham was their fifth biggest cap yet, yes he's a huge difference maker, but when you're in cap trouble you can't afford the luxury of spending that much on a TE, part of me wonders if we'll see a move soon involving Evans or Grubbs, who are the second and fourth biggest cap hits respectively, does having a great center make having two great guards too much of a luxury?

Haven't looked it up myself, but somebody said they were only saving $2M by getting rid of Graham. And it isn't like teams have the luxury of trading away the dead money with players.

Terrible move. You are right that you don't have the luxury to pay a TE like that with such a terrible cap situation... But in that case, the Saints shouldn't have signed him LESS THAN A YEAR AGO. Ha.

The Saints are a pretty terribly run franchise.

Jimmy Graham will spend his entire career catching passes from midget QBs. :yep:

• Upvote 2

In my mind we traded a soft oft injured TE who couldn't block and dissappeared against good teams for a desperately needed quality center and a first round pick.

Yes we only saved 2 milllion this year but with this trade and the Grubbs trade and releasing Lofton we save 30 million in cap space over the next two years.

I liked the trade. Josh Hill (the backup) isn't the catch machine that Jimmy was but he is a red zone threat that can catch and can also block.

You didn't love having Jimmy Graham?

not saying I didn't love having him when he was here, but I have bashed him here for his lack of blocking and his going down with minimal contact while he was a Saint. I have also said when Gronk is healthy he is the better overall TE.

If he can stay healthy for the full year then great for you guys but I wouldn't run Lynch towards his side.