Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Ravens Trade Haloti Ngata to Lions

People have been saying real hush hush that the Lions are moving to a strong hybrid defense like the Ravens. I don't love the move, but I can dig it. Didn't give up a future pick, so that's great.

There were Lion fans on twitter who were all like... "What is Eddie lacy gonna do now?".... I just kinda laughed. I mean, I like Ngata, but... Talent along the Detroit DLine isn't exactly a new thing.

Not a bad consolation prize after losing Suh.

Losing a 4th and 5th round, I'd say it is. Give me Suh and the 4th/5th over Ngata and a potential 3rd any day.

Losing a 4th and 5th round, I'd say it is. Give me Suh and the 4th/5th over Ngata and a potential 3rd any day.

is one of the picks conditional? I saw Ngata and a seventh rounder for a fourth and a fifth

Well, they couldn't strike a deal so they decided to make a move for a proven play maker for their D-line after losing Suh and Fairley.

Even with a guy I really like, like Ngata.. Having to cough up draft picks to still be worse at the position is kind of funny. And if Nick does indeed sign elsewhere, Ngata won't really be much of a factor in my opinion. He may still play well individually... But at 31 and the Lions needing so much help, he will be about done before they become a semi-force again.

• Upvote 1

is one of the picks conditional? I saw Ngata and a seventh rounder for a fourth and a fifth

Yes but Lions will likely gain a 3rd or so in draft as a result of losing Suh. 4th/5th for Ngata/7th is correct.

Yes but Lions will likely gain a 3rd or so in draft as a result of losing Suh. 4th/5th for Ngata/7th is correct.

fair enough, I wasn't thinking about conditional picks (and I don't think most NFL execs think in those terms either) it is worth noting that for conditional picks, free agents added are considered in determining those as well as free agents lost, but adding Ngata won't factor in because it was a trade (not that anyone said it would, just a preemptive point)

I think you guys are over valuing 4th and 5th founders. Teams like the Ravens manage to find gem there. But most of the time you get players who don't amount to anything. Give me Ngata over those picks any day.

• Upvote 1

I know the Ravens were looking to dump his salary so getting picks in return is great for them.

I think you guys are over valuing 4th and 5th founders. Teams like the Ravens manage to find gem there. But most of the time you get players who don't amount to anything. Give me Ngata over those picks any day.

My thoughts exactly. If Suh's asking price didn't fit into their cap plans, trading for Ngata is a good route to go.