Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

" We're On the Verge of Discovering Signs of Alien Life "

NASA's top scientist predicts that we'll find signs of alien life by 2025, with even stronger evidence for extraterrestrials in the years that follow.

"I think we're going to have strong indications of life beyond Earth within a decade, and I think we're going to have definitive evidence within 20 to 30 years," NASA chief scientistEllen Stofan said Tuesday during a panel event on water in the universe.

"We know where to look. We know how to look," Stofan added. "In most cases we have the technology, and we're on a path to implementing it. And so I think we're definitely on the road."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/08/nasa-alien-life_n_7023134.html

Once again, I love me some space related topics of discussion. I know I am not alone in this train of thought, but the universe is just too vast and too expansive to not contain other lifeforms -- right? The truth is out there, and I want it!

Yes, the article states it's not really like full blown aliens that we will be discovering, but merely signs of living organisms... It's a good start.

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 1

TGP has already discovered an alien race.

BC's nipples.

:kobe:

What are they basing this conjecture on? Why do people assume there must be alien life? I think it'd be awesome if we did, but the chances are very very low that we will actually find anything ever. The universe is simply too vast.

Very exciting stuff. Lost among a lot of us, I feel, is the sheer awe of technology and discovery that we are experiencing in our lifetimes. We see it with our electronic gadgets, but they've become so commonplace we take their abilities for granted. Things like this, however, are undeniably incredible. The next 50+ years are going to be amazing in terms of astronomy.

Who else is counting down to that 2017 solar eclipse?

I honestly believe if we come in contact with alien life, that they'll find us first. I do think that if we find other sentient life, it'll look roundaboutly like us. Some evolutionary changes, but not grey black-eyed twigmen.

• Upvote 1

What are they basing this conjecture on? Why do people assume there must be alien life? I think it'd be awesome if we did, but the chances are very very low that we will actually find anything ever. The universe is simply too vast.

I think part of it is a genuine yearning for it... But I think there is a science there. It's far beyond my knowledge or understanding, but just having to do with the atoms and molecules found in other places in the universe and how they interact with each other. It's almost impossible for life of some kind not to be out there.

I honestly believe if we come in contact with alien life, that they'll find us first. I do think that if we find other sentient life, it'll look roundaboutly like us. Some evolutionary changes, but not grey black-eyed twigmen.

Absolutely. Heck, who is to say they haven't found us already. It's prevalent in the US, but really everywhere in the world. We have an arrogance about us that doesn't really provide for the fact that we may not be the smartest, most advanced, or most capable. Everyone is always so caught up in us finding them, and in regards to this story and whatnot, ya that is a big part of it. But we rarely give thought to the chance or possibility that it may not totally be within our control.

I think the chances of them finding us are far greater and will come much sooner...

I just hope it happens in my life time...

I honestly hope we never meet alien life, who says they come in peace?

We'd probably try ruling over them and they would get pissed off and destroy us all.

Absolutely. Heck, who is to say they haven't found us already. It's prevalent in the US, but really everywhere in the world. We have an arrogance about us that doesn't really provide for the fact that we may not be the smartest, most advanced, or most capable. Everyone is always so caught up in us finding them, and in regards to this story and whatnot, ya that is a big part of it. But we rarely give thought to the chance or possibility that it may not totally be within our control.

I think the chances of them finding us are far greater and will come much sooner...

I just hope it happens in my life time...

And yet just about every depiction of aliens in fiction assumes the opposite, assumes that whatever other life forms are out there are more advanced than us. I can't think of a single representation that doesn't assume that at least the vast majority of alien life forms are more intelligent than us. What would we do if we discovered life on another planet but it was actually further back in the evolutionary chain than we were? What if we discovered a planet that had life but the most advanced form was closer to the neanderthals than modern man? It's actually harder to wrap your head around, but what if we are the most advanced life form in the universe? I think those questions are a lot more interesting.

District nine is kinda like that.

And yet just about every depiction of aliens in fiction assumes the opposite, assumes that whatever other life forms are out there are more advanced than us. I can't think of a single representation that doesn't assume that at least the vast majority of alien life forms are more intelligent than us. What would we do if we discovered life on another planet but it was actually further back in the evolutionary chain than we were? What if we discovered a planet that had life but the most advanced form was closer to the neanderthals than modern man? It's actually harder to wrap your head around, but what if we are the most advanced life form in the universe? I think those questions are a lot more interesting.

Nah, those are boring questions. If we really are the most advanced form of life, meeting / finding the other life forms won't be so exciting. I mean, just the event itself would be, but after that.. Meh. That's when we would establish control and dominance over them.. Probably use them for slaves, extort them, and abuse them to make our global elite more rich than they already are....

How boring... It would be so much more exciting if they wanted to establish dominance over us. :ooo: