Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Marco Rubio Officially Joins Campaign Trail

MIAMI — Senator Marco Rubio of Florida told his top donors Monday that he is running for president in 2016, becoming the third Republican to officially enter the contest.

Mr. Rubio will make a formal announcement Monday evening here in which he is expected to present himself as the embodiment of generational change who can unite the Republican Party’s factions and offer economic solutions for the 21st century.

At 43, the youngest candidate in the rapidly growing 2016 presidential field, Mr. Rubio is expected to cast himself as a forward-looking, next-generation leader — and an implicit contrast with both Jeb Bush, 62, whose family has dominated Republican politics for nearly three decades, and Hillary Rodham Clinton, 67, the wife of a former president and the likely Democratic nominee.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/14/us/politics/marco-rubio-2016-presidential-campaign.html

Hewitt: A lot of people are criticizing the President for not enforcing the immigration laws. He's also not enforcing the drug laws in Colorado and Washington State. If you're the president, will you enforce the federal drug laws and shut down the marijuana trade?

Rubio: Yes. Yes, I think, well, I think we need to enforce our federal laws. Now do states have a right to do what they want? They don't agree with it, but they have their rights. But they don't have a right to write federal policy as well....I don't believe we should be in the business of legalizing additional intoxicants in this country for the primary reason that when you legalize something, what you're sending a message to young people is it can't be that bad, because if it was that bad, it wouldn't be legal.

Wrong answer.

Edited by Favre4Ever

It won't hurt him. He'll get the Hispanic vote even if he says he used to idolize Hitler (slight exaggeration but you get the point).

If the Republicans are smart they'll make sure this guy is their Presidential candidate for that fact alone. It's sad but that's what it has come down to at this point.

Edited by Maverick

I kinda agree. Rubio gives the Republicans their best shot. Problem is, I highly doubt he will win the GOP nomination.

And what is it with all these Repubs coming out against marijuana recently? Christie had a piece where he jumped all over marijuana users as liberals that he was going to make sure got what was coming to them if he was elected.

I kinda agree. Rubio gives the Republicans their best shot. Problem is, I highly doubt he will win the GOP nomination.

And what is it with all these Repubs coming out against marijuana recently? Christie had a piece where he jumped all over marijuana users as liberals that he was going to make sure got what was coming to them if he was elected.

I think Rubio has a great shot at the nomination.. Dunno about the Presidency though. Lots of time left though, so we will see.

And I don't know. Being soooo socially conservative is going to hurt them a lot. I realize finding a Republican who is more socially liberal is going to make them less Republican and more Libertarian, but being so Anti-Weed and Anti-Gay Rights is going to crush a lot of hopes and dreams, or so I would imagine.

• Upvote 2

Right, please just fucking drop those two issues.

They are so dumb and they make you basically unelectable in tandem. Plus neither one will be an issue in 20 years, might as well get a headstart on progress.

But those issues are so important to the die-hard social conservatives, and you need votes from them to win the Republican nomination.

Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

But those issues are so important to the die-hard social conservatives, and you need votes from them to win the Republican nomination.

True... One one side, you are definitely correct. As a candidate, I think you can get around that some on certain issues. For one I don't think most of them would mind too much on weed. They may not like it but I think they would get over it. Gay rights is definitely something you would seemingly need to be strong on, but you can walk this line where you are against it personally but won't let your personal feeling inhibit the rights of others and let them choose. It may not be ideal for other side, but I think it's a compromise the far right can mostly get on board with. Abortion is pretty big as well, I don't know if there is much getting around that....

Personally speaking though, I would rather see something more along the lines of what Thanatos was saying. Times are changing. Give me a candidate who wants to get ahead of progress... BE the progress we need. Wouldn't that be refreshing? If only...