Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

The Baltimore Riots

The issue is assuming that racism is tied to class warfare. I don't disagree at all that poverty is a serious issue... but as I said before in this thread, there are also a TON of super poor white people. We all know that. Giving black people access to better paying jobs wouldn't eliminate racism at all. I don't think it would even make a dent in it, in all honesty.

The reason people are racist has nothing to do with money. Poverty among ethnic minorities is only a result of social oppression. So, while better jobs would help people get out of poverty, which is a good thing, it wouldn't eliminate racism. I would bet my entire life that if somehow, today, everyone had the same amount of money in the U.S. that racism would still be extremely prevalent.

That's my point in this thread in a nutshell. And anyone who agrees with that point can at least understand why the riots happen, even if they don't condone them. I sure don't. But who am I to say that I wouldn't do the same thing? I've never been in a position where people don't listen to me no matter what I say or no matter how many times I say it. You can only be peaceful for so long. People of color have been talking for decades... sometimes peacefully, sometimes not... but it takes two sides to have a discussion. And when rights and lives are on the line, I can't blame them necessarily for getting violent. What other options do they have?

@Phail (does anybody know how to fix the copy/paste function not working on a new computer? I can do that, and I can't use the quote function at all on the new farm computer)

Whether we like it or not, violence only perpetuates stereotypes. Not in the case of all of us folks who've made the progression to not being ridiculous assholes, but to the folks who are still racist in this country. Violence, looting, destroying property--that is not helping their cause. It is undermining what they've worked for for years. It stalls progress.

People are gonna stereotype minorities regardless of what they do... that's what racism is. So they might as well do what they have to do to get their voices heard... they have nothing to lose and everything to gain. It's obvious they aren't going to get anywhere by peaceful means. They've been trying for decades... hell, centuries... to make equality a reality.

Did white people persuade blacks to be their slaves? Hell no, they took them by force. How about moving Native Americans to the shittiest parts of real estate in the country... what little of them survived, at that? Nope. Moved them by force.

Like it or not, people who get things done do so by force. That's the way it always has been in every civilization from the beginning of time until now. I don't see how it's ever going to change.

The other issue with all this "perpetuating the stereotype" is that its all again tied to the "media" and what they show.

Blacks were not the only ones looting. The "media" hasn't shown these but the pics are all over social media.

Additionally, when reports (that most people don't even remember) of people rioting when there teams win a championship, or the Wildcats losing in the NC game, its slightly covered, and you were seeing outlets just calling them people who had too much adrenaline, or just idiots. Not thugs, etc.

Anyway, this police brutality thing is not a white vs. Black thing, its a police brutality thing. All lives matter, but police brutality against specifically African Americans is at an excessive rate. The people who are protesting with those signs up are alluding to that specific issue.

Common sense welcomes you to the party Dmac.

The faces of the racist cops in Baltimore.

11202838_10153218139976336_3467271436815

This court case should be interesting.

• Upvote 1

As I said previously and like DMAC just repeated it is a police brutality thing. And again people attach themselves to these events for different reasons and intentions which unfortunately cause explosive debates and conversation that detract from the actual issue at hand.

Justifying the reasons behind the riots and protest by brining up poverty is way off hand IMO, that opens up a different conversation that doesn't really take place in this one. I grew up around nothing and read down the list of things I was blessed to do, as well as my friends who have done just as much, more, or end up being criminals. And guess what they all have very different shades of skin.

Because all of this has been pretty much what I have come to expect, but there is a new level of issues as I'm seeing more and more white people on social media, regular media, and everyday conversation adopting the idea that "people should stop breaking the law" if they want to stop being treated poorly. People that I work close with and respect have said that. An ignorant point of view is growing and worse that perspective furthers the cultural stereotypes that so many people have fought to break down.

Edited by butta55