DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

NFL Draft Thread

I'm cool with Kevin Johnson, but man I really wanted Dupree. Steelers getting him at #22 was the biggest steal/best value of Day 1.

Texans got the biggest steal in Round 3.

Texans got the biggest steal in Round 3.

TEXANS DA GREATEST. BEST TEAM EVER TO STEP ON THE GRIDIRON. TEXANS TEXANS TEXANS

Edited by Zack_of_Steel
  • Upvote 1

TEXANS DA GREATEST. BEST TEAM EVER TO STEP ON THE GRIDIRON. TEXANS TEXANS TEXANS

RapB8vm.gif
-----------------------------------------------
Broncos draft:
1 DE Shane Ray Missouri
2 OT Ty Sambrailo Colorado State
3 TE Jeff Heuerman Ohio State
4 C Max Garcia Florida
5 CB Lorenzo Doss Tulane
6 DT Darius Kilgo Maryland
7 QB Trevor Siemian Northwestern
7 CB Taurean Nixon Tulane
7 S Josh Furman Oklahoma State
I'm not normally one who likes trading up in the draft to pick a player who is a team strength, but I really like Shane Ray and the way he plays. More importantly, he was really high on the Broncos' big-board, I think I read something like 10th overall. It's certainly a good pick for the future with DWare potentially in his last season with the team. At least Ray will get a year of tutelage from DWare, and be an imposing tandem with Von Miller for years to come. I like the fact that he owned up to his mistake in his post-draft interviews, and that he's starting his career in the league's substance abuse program.
Sambrailo was a guy who wasn't very high on my list. More athletic than strong, short arms, no mean-streak... everything I don't like in an offensive linemen. They are adamant about how great of a fit he is in Kubiak's system, which I can certainly see. He has the tools to be efficient in the ZBS, but right now I'm still not sold. One upside from him is that he's versatile, and has played every position on the line other than center.
I could go on and on about Heuerman, but long story short I'm extremely stoked we got him. I've thought he had an argument for the best TE in the draft for weeks now.
I love the pick of Max Garcia as well. We have a lot of questions at center, and signing Gino Gradkowski from the Ravens did nothing to belay my concerns. Word is Max will start practices at RG behind Louis Vasquez, but will have every opportunity to earn a starting role.
I don't know much about the duo from Tulane, but I found it kind of interesting that we selected them both. Chemistry can go a long way, and it might be good to have them together going through OTAs and camp.
I read a lot on Kilgo during our mock game, and really didn't like a whole lot that I came across. Taking plays off, crushed against double-teams, hit and miss interviews. Pluses he got centered around his effectiveness one on one, and his strength. He may turn out to be a good mold-able kind of guy, but all I'd want out of him at this point is someone who can really push Sylvester Williams, who definitely needs it.
I think Siemian was a complete waste of a pick. Wasn't great in what little he played at Northwestern, and he's still recovering from an ACL surgery. I don't think he's going to healthy enough to fully compete by the time cut days roll around. I'll be especially miffed if this results in us releasing Zac Dysert to keep him on the team.

http://www.battleredblog.com/2015/5/3/8541695/jaelen-strong-chose-11-for-a-reason-vengeance

Jaelen Strong Chose #11 For A Reason...Vengeance

As if Jaelen Strong needed any more motivation to be the next great Texans receiver, the man now feels just a wee bit slighted by the fact that a whopping ten wideouts were drafted ahead of him.

Go ahead, Jaelen. Use that anger. Become the monster that you were born to be.

:megusta:

When athletes are snubbed it stokes a fire. Former William & Mary wideout Tre McBride is all kinds of lit up.
McBride was listed as a top 100 prospect by NFLDraftScout.com (99 overall) and the 15th-best wide receiver in this class. In February Dane Brugler called McBride a "Pierre Garcon-like player" with "tape that could land him in the top-100."
But McBride fell all the way to pick No. 245, where the Tennessee Titans scooped him up and made him part of an impressive wideout haul, including Dorial Green-Beckham.
He's going to remember the slip, clearly, having changed his Twitter name to "Pick 245."

also:

COLUMBIA, Tenn. – The moment the Titans drafted Marcus Mariota, he became the favorite to be their starting quarterback this season.
Coach Ken Whisenhunt even said that's the plan.
Zach Mettenberger, who started six games last season as a rookie, is conceding nothing, however. So said tackle Taylor Lewan, who is Mettenberger's closest friend on the team.
"That is the mentality that Zach has. He thinks of himself as a starter, and the guys in the locker room do also. I don't think he is going to give it up easily," Lewan, last year's first-round pick, said Monday.

Lewan also said Mettenberger never asked for a trade, put those reports on his agent, looks like training camp will be interesting, I just hope this doesn't create a divided lockerroom

Edited by oochymp

Can't wait for Mett to get the "Glennon" shaft and not be given a fair shot.

• Upvote 1

Can't wait for Mett to get the "Glennon" shaft and not be given a fair shot.

There's a reason guys like Mettenberger and Glennon get that treatment. They suck.

There's a reason guys like Mettenberger and Glennon get that treatment. They suck.

Still clear bias in both situations. Mariota and Winston shouldn't have the job before ever taking a camp snap. (See: Josh McCown)

Mettenberger did show some promise last year, it was just hard to see because as a team we absolutely sucked. It also seems that he has a lot of support in the lockerroom as well as the fan base. I'm just worried that if Mariota is thrown in and struggles (as you'd expect a rookie to) there will be calls for Mettenberger to take over, and I don't know that I'd expect any rookie to handle that well.

Titans showed their retardation by drafting Mariota to begin with.

Mettenberger is garbage, but Mariota is garbage that's been set on fire.

• Upvote 1

I'd disagree Air, but there's nothing we can way really until he plays a game. It It is what it is.

Mett showed promise though. Great value for a 6th rounder.

I'd disagree Air, but there's nothing we can way really until he plays a game. It It is what it is.

Mett showed promise though. Great value for a 6th rounder.

Naw man, 99.99% sure that Mariota is gonna be trash.

His only redeeming quality is his personality makes him easy to root for.

• Upvote 1

He lacks good pocket awareness but I think he has quite a bit of arm talent. Throws darts and is usually accurate. The good thing is even though he has questionable pocket awareness is when he does have to scramble and throw he can do it effectively. Edited by Chernobyl426

Titans showed their retardation by drafting Mariota to begin with.

Mettenberger is garbage, but Mariota is garbage that's been set on fire.

The words. They were taken from my mouth.

He seems like a real good dude, and watching his interviews... I would love to see him succeed. However... That whole talent thing (or lack thereof) might hinder that.

You know, it seemed like there were a lot of teams that were making huge offers to get Mariota, I can't convince myself that that many NFL executives are that wrong about a prospect. Certainly he could flop and we might be looking back in 5-10 years (or maybe even sooner) and wishing we'd taken a trade offer, but at this point I'm not going to assume that I know more than a bunch of guys who spend a lot more time than any of us researching these players and whose livelihoods are actually on the line in making these picks.

Those guys make huge mistakes every year. It's actually safer to just assume that they are wrong.

• Upvote 1

Air's hate for his new QB is hilarious.

Agreed with Cherns....Mett won't get a fair shot which I think is the worst thing Titans can do for both guys.

Dumbing down the passing concepts for Mariota is cool, but it's still a new pro-style offense for him. They have the perfect opportunity to give Mariota time to adjust while Mett starts next season. If Mett does better than expected then you have a trade piece in Mariota. They are taking a win-win and making it a bad bet.

Mariota has great mechanics, arm talent, mobility, and IQ. Not sure what is fueling Ferve's hate other than him being a hater.

There should be no worries in ability to learn the play book or go through his reads. He's been doing that from the start at Oregon. Also his arm strength is more than good enough and he can make all the throws you need to as an NFL QB.

I'd expect him to be a bit shaky from the get go as its the transition and yea his pocket presence can use a bit of work but he also has the ability to run up field and when he does not take an RGIII hit.

Agreed with Cherns....Mett won't get a fair shot which I think is the worst thing Titans can do for both guys.

Dumbing down the passing concepts for Mariota is cool, but it's still a new pro-style offense for him. They have the perfect opportunity to give Mariota time to adjust while Mett starts next season. If Mett does better than expected then you have a trade piece in Mariota. They are taking a win-win and making it a bad bet.

Mariota has great mechanics, arm talent, mobility, and IQ. Not sure what is fueling Ferve's hate other than him being a hater.

He hates him because Tony Dungy called him the next Aaron Rodgers. :troll:

• Upvote 2

His awareness in the pocket is atrocious... He feels a rush when it doesn't exist, he steps into other rushers without knowing any better. He gets happy feet and looks like he's dancing instead of playing QB. He will stick to his first read way too long hoping something will change and not scan for other options. He aborts plays too often because he isn't used to going through long progressions which leads to him breaking the pocket and trying to run, which won't be nearly as successful in the NFL when there are fine options to throw to.

Guys like that just don't make it in the NFL, ESPECIALLY not when they start from Day 1. You risk, more than other prospects, completely fucking him over. You can ruin his mental approach to the game and permanently 'break' him. The last thing you want to a rookie QB seeing ghosts is put him in right away behind a shoddy offensive line -- and PFF rated the Titans pass blocking as 29th last year, giving up 31 sacks in under 600 passing plays.

With that said, Mariota is a smart guy. As many of you said... Maybe the Titans can dumb down their offense. Maybe they can dumb it down to such a point that he can get the ball out to his #1 over and over without the need to feel pressure... Where he won't abort plays prematurely. Where he won't see ghosts, where he might actually start going through his progressions...

That's a lot of if's though and I am not counting on it to happen.

I can't explain to you how much I HATE HATE HATE QBs who can't feel pressure. It just leads to bad things -- and Mariota has it bad both ways. He can't feel / see it when it's there and he does see / feel it when it's not there. It's something that can get better when a guy sits and he works on it... But if he can fix that issue in Spring before he starts real games... That alone might make me a believer.

But not yet.

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 2

With that said, Mariota is a smart guy. As many of you said... Maybe the Titans can dumb down their offense. Maybe they can dumb it down to such a point that he can get the ball out to his #1 over and over without the need to feel pressure... Where he won't abort plays prematurely. Where he won't see ghosts, where he might actually start going through his progressions...

this doesn't make any sense, literally in the same line you say Mariota is smart and that the Titans need to dumb down their offense for him, that seems quite contradictory to me

this doesn't make any sense, literally in the same line you say Mariota is smart and that the Titans need to dumb down their offense for him, that seems quite contradictory to me

Being Smart =/= Handling Complex NFL Offenses Day 1 =/= Being a great (or even good QB)

Football IQ =/= Actual IQ

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 1

His awareness in the pocket is atrocious... He feels a rush when it doesn't exist, he steps into other rushers without knowing any better. He gets happy feet and looks like he's dancing instead of playing QB. He will stick to his first read way too long hoping something will change and not scan for other options. He aborts plays too often because he isn't used to going through long progressions which leads to him breaking the pocket and trying to run, which won't be nearly as successful in the NFL when there are fine options to throw to.

Guys like that just don't make it in the NFL, ESPECIALLY not when they start from Day 1. You risk, more than other prospects, completely fucking him over. You can ruin his mental approach to the game and permanently 'break' him. The last thing you want to a rookie QB seeing ghosts is put him in right away behind a shoddy offensive line -- and PFF rated the Titans pass blocking as 29th last year, giving up 31 sacks in under 600 passing plays.

That's a lot of if's though and I am not counting on it to happen.

I can't explain to you how much I HATE HATE HATE QBs who can't feel pressure. It just leads to bad things -- and Mariota has it bad both ways. He can't feel / see it when it's there and he does see / feel it when it's not there. It's something that can get better when a guy sits and he works on it... But if he can fix that issue in Spring before he starts real games... That alone might make me a believer.

But not yet.

I guess this is going in circles because from a football standpoint I've heard your point of view on him as a player and I still don't agree with it lol.

I get from your perspective he is a bad prospect, but sometimes it just seems like you hate the guy is all I was saying. But if your dislike is rooted in football reasons then that is fine. Guess we will just agree to disagree.

It seems like I hate the guy? I said just a few posts ago that he is a very likeable guy. He is somebody I WANT to root for. And I hope he proves me wrong, I really do. I just wish he had time to sit and learn a little and take it all in before being thrown to the wolves.