Sign in to follow this  
Bangy

Mayweather vs Pacquaio Fight Thread

Ok so as we all know one of the biggest fights in boxing history takes place tonight so I thought it would be worthy of a one off thread.

5 long, hard and frustrated year has led up to this glorious day and not only is the fight going to be interesting because of the 5 year fued between these guys but they both have completely different styles of boxing.

Floyd has his legacy on the line here as one of if not the greatest boxers of all time. Say what you will about him outside the ring but inside he is a tactical genius and a counter punching God that is going to try and do what ever he can with his defensive style to preserve that undefeated record.

Pacquiao has more wins but also a few more losses and has been knocked out and had his career at one point on the ropes, however, he came back stronger than ever and his speed and punching power is almost unrivalled in the division.

Imo this will live up to the hype and is going to get messy, as much as I'd love Pacman to win I also want Mayweather to preserve his unbeaten streak. I'm going Mayweather who ya got.

Glad i didn't spend 100 on this. The streams held up surprisingly well.

Interested to hear Ed's opinion on the match. From listening to the discussion afterwards many people are pretty disappointed, Ed did say that he wasn't expecting too much though, as did Surge.

Overall as a fair weather boxing fan, I enjoyed the coverage and the hype this week. It was fun to follow and I want more big matches like this. I really don't get why the marquee matches have to be so expensive though. To me that'd be like the NFL charging you $100 to watch the super bowl, or the NBA charging $40 to watch game 7 tonight. They can't make money outside of the PPV, or at least lower the price by a lot? Did Ali fights used to be on PPV, or Tyson? I think it'd be more popular if it was more accessible.

Edited by RevisFan81

I didn't even watch the fight, but judging from what other people have told me, it is exactly how I expected it to be.

All Mayweather does is punch and run, rinse and repeat. It will win you boxing matches, but it will not win my entertainment. Mayweather has pretty much single-handedly killed boxing tonight. He's such a paper tiger champion.

Edited by FartWaffles

Haven't watched boxing since I was a kid. Was pretty fun, and I thought Mayweather's strategic, evasive style was cool.

I'll be honest it wasn't the fight I thought it would be but I thought it was a good fight.

Mayweather knew his counter punching and staying on the outside style would be perfect to counter to Manny's close and brawl on the ropes style.

Mayweather executed his fight plan perfectly that he made Manny look sloppy and sluggish. Mayweather landed the cleaner of the punches and slipped and moved when he needed.

I would still love to see Khan vs Mayweather. I feel that their style would match perfectly for a great fight.

22111_616882222564_5193987474573896123_n

I'm a fairweather boxing fan myself, but that fight pretty much went exactly like I thought it would. I knew it would be boring because Mayweather would dominate defensively, as he did. I don't even know if the outcome would have been any different 5 years ago. Crazy thing is Mayweather was better then, too.

• Upvote 1

I don't think it would have been different. Floyd dominated with his superior reach & skill. People are going to blame Mayweather for the fight playing out like it did but it really was Manny who had to bring the fight to Floyd. Anyone expecting Floyd to go in the ring and brawl with someone is just ignorant. I actually like watching Floyd because of his immense skills, though I don't like all of the holding.

I can't believe Manny thought he won, citing that Floyd "didn't do anything." Like Manny did? Lol I only gave Manny 3 rounds, one of which was the twelfth which Floyd obviously threw away. Floyd gave him a boxing lesson, plain & simple. And now all the excuses are flying out with the injured shoulder....right...

• Upvote 1

People bust on Mayweather for not being aggressive enough. But the reality is, that fight went exactly the way he wanted it to. He controlled it basically from the opening bell until the last round. Pac had a few good rounds, but for the most part, Floyd fought his fight. He has always counted on his opponents making mistakes and capitalizing on them.

I feel like a lot of people never really watched him fight before, and then they watched last night and thought he sucked. lol. My Facebook timeline is littered with people who probably watched boxing for the first time in their lives last night. Then there are the MMA fans on their high horses thumping their chests about how last night proved boxing is dead.

If boxing is dead, it's only because Floyd was good enough to kill it. It's not his fault he's by far the best fighter of the last 10 years. Why he put off the fight originally, nobody will ever know. But I really don't think it matters at this point. I feel like people still expect every real boxing match to be like Rocky movies. But the reality is way different. So I guess it's boring.

Some people are screaming for a rematch. I think it would be a gigantic waste of time, because it would be the same thing all over again.

• Upvote 2

You can't have early 30s Manny, so why do people want a rematch? If he was to win at any point, it would have been when they originally tried to put the fight together, and even then it would be a toss-up.

The funny thing about people's reactions to the outcome of this fight is that they assume Mayweather "ran away" during the fight. There's something to be said about be skilled enough defensively to avoid as many hits as possible.

This fight was a gigantic waste of time the instant Pac fell out of his prime. We knew who'd win this fight, and it happened rather convincingly. I hope nobody here shelled out $100 to watch a fight that was done the instant it was scheduled. Manny was a great fighter, and had he fought Floyd in his prime, he could have challenged and possibly beaten him, but Manny is a shell of his former self and was pretty much Floyd's next "out of his prime" punching bag.

I don't hold Floyd Mayweather in all that high of a regard, as I think he avoids taking chances and rarely fights someone who can actually beat him. However, that 0 in the loss column is impressive, nonetheless.

You can't have early 30s Manny, so why do people want a rematch? If he was to win at any point, it would have been when they originally tried to put the fight together, and even then it would be a toss-up.

The funny thing about people's reactions to the outcome of this fight is that they assume Mayweather "ran away" during the fight. There's something to be said about be skilled enough defensively to avoid as many hits as possible.

This fight was a gigantic waste of time the instant Pac fell out of his prime. We knew who'd win this fight, and it happened rather convincingly. I hope nobody here shelled out $100 to watch a fight that was done the instant it was scheduled. Manny was a great fighter, and had he fought Floyd in his prime, he could have challenged and possibly beaten him, but Manny is a shell of his former self and was pretty much Floyd's next "out of his prime" punching bag.

I don't hold Floyd Mayweather in all that high of a regard, as I think he avoids taking chances and rarely fights someone who can actually beat him. However, that 0 in the loss column is impressive, nonetheless.

That's because nobody in boxing right now can... and it's been that way for years. lol. Look at Floyd's list of opponents though. There are some really good fighters... Cotto, Marquez, Maidana, De La Hoya, Mosley, Hatton, Zab Judah, etc...

• Upvote 1

Well, of course he has some impressive opponents, but this version of Manny Pacquiao does not count among them, though it'll be heralded as Floyd's best moment.

People bust on Mayweather for not being aggressive enough. But the reality is, that fight went exactly the way he wanted it to. He controlled it basically from the opening bell until the last round. Pac had a few good rounds, but for the most part, Floyd fought his fight. He has always counted on his opponents making mistakes and capitalizing on them.

I feel like a lot of people never really watched him fight before, and then they watched last night and thought he sucked. lol. My Facebook timeline is littered with people who probably watched boxing for the first time in their lives last night. Then there are the MMA fans on their high horses thumping their chests about how last night proved boxing is dead.

If boxing is dead, it's only because Floyd was good enough to kill it. It's not his fault he's by far the best fighter of the last 10 years. Why he put off the fight originally, nobody will ever know. But I really don't think it matters at this point. I feel like people still expect every real boxing match to be like Rocky movies. But the reality is way different. So I guess it's boring.

Some people are screaming for a rematch. I think it would be a gigantic waste of time, because it would be the same thing all over again.

I don't know what it is with MMA fans...they're just so insecure about their sport. Yeah there are some great UFC fights but there are also really boring ones where the superior wrestler just lays on a dude for 3 rounds or you have one round of fireworks and the guys are gassed out for the rest of the fight.

Beware, you mention about Manny not being in his prime anymore yet it's the exact same for Mayweather. Difference here is that where Mayweathers counter punching has always been on point that now he's lots his knockout power he can rely on his movement and that counter right.

The same result would have happened even 5 years ago if we are being honest. Tbh I think this card is probably the first time in a long time I've prefered boxing over Mma. You really saw the tactical side of boxing last night.

Edited by Bangy

I loved seeing Floyd control the fight, like others have mentioned. He played great defense at the start and let Manny get gassed by wasting a bunch of punches on him while he was blocking. It was hilarious in the round (I forget which, we had a few problems with our streams) where Manny went into flurry mode three consecutive times and Floyd just guarded and shook his head at him in between, lmao.

Then Floyd opened it up toward the second half of the fight and dropped his gloves and kept baiting Manny successfully. Floyd had him the entire way and from round 8 or 9 on Manny looked visibly tired while Floyd looked like he could've gone another 5 rounds.

A KO would've been cool, but I could definitely get into boxing if fights are often like this.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Amir Khan is calling Floyd out again... lol. Khan would get wrecked twice as badly as Pacquiao did last night.

Amir Khan is calling Floyd out again... lol. Khan would get wrecked twice as badly as Pacquiao did last night.

If we were talking about pre Virgil Hunter Khan then yes if agree as he was basically a Pacquiao clone without the power and a glass chin.

Khan since he has been with Hunter has changed from the stand and trade attempted brawler to a mid range stick and move boxer that uses his key strength being his punching speed to open opportunities.

The intriguing thing in that match up would be to see how legit the claims of Mayweather struggles against Speedy southpaws, on Khans side would he be able to use his speed and avoid the counter right.

Honestly there fighting styles would complement each other for a great fight.

Ed posted a link in the 'box, but I thought I'd post it here.

http://gawker.com/manny-pacquiao-sued-by-disgruntled-fans-for-hiding-shou-1702378786

Fans suing Manny for not disclosing his rotator cuff.

Mayweather on Manny's injury:

“If [Pacquiao] would have come out victorious, the only thing I could have got up here and said was, ‘I have to show respect and say he was the better man. Both my arms were injured. Both my hands were injured, but as I’ve said before, I always find a way to win.”

Those same fans would have been incensed if the fight was cancelled due to injury.

• Upvote 1