Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Data Collection Provisions of Patriot Act Will Expire

#StandWithRand is trending 4th nation wide, right now.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?326084-1/senator-rand-paul-rky-nsa-surveillance&live

PHILADELPHIA – Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) vowed Monday to do "everything possible" end the renewal of the Patriot Act -- even as he conceded that the filibuster he was planning was unlikely to be enough to end the program.

“We do not have the votes to ultimately defeat the Patriot Act. I can delay it; I can force them to debate it so the public at large can know what they’re doing,” Paul said, while asserting that he has public opinion on his side.

“They’ve got the votes inside the Beltway, but we have the votes outside the Beltway,” Paul said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2015/05/18/rand-paul-vows-to-do-everything-possible-to-block-patriot-act-renewal/

Edited by Favre4Ever

Good for him. Hope it works.

Good to see Rand Paul hasn't abandoned all of his views. Really hope he can get this done with the help of some of the few good representatives out there.

WASHINGTON - Three key sections of the Patriot Act are set to expire on June 1 unless the Senate resolves a stalemate with the House over the future of the sweeping anti-terrorism law.

The Senate early Saturday blocked a bill that would have extended the provisions for another two months, leaving the leadership in a tough spot as the deadline loomed and Congress prepared to take a week-long recess for the Memorial Day holiday.

The bill failed on a procedural vote, not garnering the required 60-vote threshold to move forward.

Afterward, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., repeatedly tried to push forward shorter extensions that would allow the bill to expire later in June, but Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., led the objections to that effort.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/05/23/patriot-act-extension-senate-vote/27717837/

I can't find the video on Youtube but the back and forth between Rand and McConnell was hilarious to me. Right after one another McConnell asked for a shorter extension to keep the Patriot Act up and running while the Senate kept debating the issue... Rand Paul kept objecting though. One after another, waiting for Mitch announce his next extension.

Your title is very misleading :(.

I thought it meant the Senate had completely blocked it and it wasn't going to happen. I got all excited.

Your title is very misleading :(.

I thought it meant the Senate had completely blocked it and it wasn't going to happen. I got all excited.

Nah, yuo should know better than that. It will never completely die. It will be reincarnated and mutilated in some shape or form. No matter how much opposition it has. Add enough pork and favors into the bill for certain senators and they will change their votes.

Rand is my hero. Love a filibuster :wub:

Didn't bullshit either. Stayed on topic.

In a statement to POLITICO Saturday, Paul warned that he would not consent to any efforts to pass either an extension of current law or the USA Freedom Act, a reform bill passed overwhelmingly by the House earlier this month.

Story Continued Below

“So tomorrow, I will force the expiration of the NSA illegal spy program,” Paul said.

Because of the nature of the Senate rules, Paul can force the expiration of the PATRIOT Act, which he has vowed on the campaign trail to repeal as president because he contends it invades Americans’ privacy rights.

In a rare Sunday session, McConnell, sources said, appears likely to move the USA Freedom Act, despite his opposition to how the bill overhauls the National Security Agency’s bulk data collection program. That’s because McConnell has little other choice given the vast support within Congress for the bill.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/exclusive-rand-paul-i-will-force-the-expiration-of-the-patriot-act-118443.html#ixzz3be11V8zs

Edited by Favre4Ever

It was a dramatic day on the floor of the United States Senate on Sunday. Unable to overcome parliamentary maneuvers by Sen. Rand Paul, the body adjourned and left three controversial provisions of the Patriot Act to expire.

Trying to beat a midnight deadline during a rare Sunday session, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell tried to fast track a House bill that would overhaul the government's bulk collection of Americans' phone records.

At around 7 p.m. ET., the House bill cleared a key procedural hurdle, but as the sun set on Washington, it became clear that a Senate rule allowing for 30 hours of debate would force parts of the Patriot Act to expire at least temporarily.

Now to see what fun stuff Mitch McConnell and his posse of clowns have up their sleeve.

• Upvote 1

I admire what Rand Paul has done here, but I think it will just alienate him further from the Republican Party and, ultimately, prevent him from winning the primary election.

I admire what Rand Paul has done here, but I think it will just alienate him further from the Republican Party and, ultimately, prevent him from winning the primary election.

He squared off with John McCain on the Senate floor to get an extra 5 minutes of debate time... Those are the types he is alienating himself against... McCain, McConnell, Graham (and like-minded Reps)... So be it. None of those people should be in office, anyway. BUt you may be right about it costing him.

Hopefully Republican support of the Patriot act alienates them from their voting base so these fucktards and their stupid opinions and policies are over and done with. Sadly there are a lot of dumb people in the South and the Mid West that prioritize religious affiliation over everything else that will keep these assholes in theirs seats. What they don't realize is that a lot of these candidates don't give a shit about their religious beliefs and use them so they can get the votes to push policies like this. Why couldn't the Boston Marathon Bomber have blown up Capitol Hill? Oh yeah, they all spend most their time 'raising money' and don't even show up to vote most of the time anyway. Fucking scum bags.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/02/us-usa-security-surveillance-passage-idUSKBN0OI2I920150602

The U.S. Senate on Tuesday passed a bill reforming a government domestic spying program that swept up millions of Americans' telephone records, sending the bill to the White House for President Barack Obama to sign into law.

Reversing U.S. security policy that had been in place since shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, the bill would end a system exposed by former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden in 2013. The eavesdropping agency collected and searched records of phone calls looking for terrorism leads but it was not allowed to listen to the content of calls.

The passage of the USA Freedom Act, the result of an alliance between Senate Democrats and some of the chamber's most conservative Republicans, was a victory for Obama, a Democrat, and a setback for Senate Republican Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

Before passing the bill, Senators defeated three amendments proposed by Republican leaders. By a vote of 67-32, the Senate approved the new act, which the U.S. House of Representatives had passed overwhelmingly last month.

A federal appeals court on May 7 ruled the collection of "metadata" illegal.

The new law would require telephone companies, such as Verizon Communications Inc and AT&T Inc, to collect and store telephone "metadata" the same way that they do now for billing purposes.

But instead of routinely feeding U.S. intelligence agencies such data, the companies would be required to turn it over only in response to a government request approved by the secretive Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court.

Passage of the bill is the first major legislative reform of U.S. surveillance practices since Snowden's revelations two years ago this month.

Along with the phone records program, two other domestic surveillance programs authorized under the USA Patriot Act have been shut down since Sunday. The Senate missed the deadline to extend legal authorities for certain data collection by the NSA and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Before the final vote, the Senate defeated three amendments proposed by security hawks, who argued that the reforms in the USA Freedom Act went too far.

"Before scrapping an effective system that has helped protect us from attack in favor of an untried one, we should at least work toward securing some modest degree of assurance that the new system can, in fact, actually work," McConnell argued.

But legislators defeated by 44-54 a measure that would have doubled to 12 months from six months the amount of time the NSA would have to wind down the existing telephone metadata collection system.

They also defeated by 42-56 a measure that would have changed the treatment of independent advocates in the secretive surveillance court, and rejected by 56-43 a proposal that would have mandated that the U.S. Director of National Intelligence certify the new phone records system works.

Telephone companies had been less than thrilled about potentially overhauling their record-keeping systems to become the repositories of surveillance records, and resisted the prospect for month.

The sensitivity of their push against powerful government agencies is so high that few industry officials or experts are willing to discuss the matter.

Privacy advocates who have opposed the phone records program since Snowden exposed it balked at the amendments. They said the changes would weaken privacy protections in the Freedom Act and hold up the bill.

It was not immediately clear how soon the NSA program would be restarted for six months, until the new system is put in place.

After Obama signs the bill, the executive branch would have to apply to the surveillance court for reauthorization of the program. And officials have said it would take time logistically to bring the system back online.

A senior U.S. intelligence official said the bulk telephone data collection system had been shut down since shortly before 8 p.m. EDT on Sunday.

• Upvote 1

Vin doesn't want to revel in the good news, but is right on it when something bad happens. :smug: