Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

What Would Make You Watch More Baseball?

Baseball is an incredible game, but it can get very hard to watch at times. What are some things that would improve the game to the point that you think you'd watch it more?

FTR, I actually prefer to listen to it on the radio.

Here are somethings that would make the game easier to watch:

1. Every pitcher forced to work at a Mark Buerhle pace. The new rules that don't allow pitchers to delay, delay, and delay have already made the game better. This would probably up runs scored while shortening the game. Pitcher's duels might be somewhat entertaining, but nothing beats a game where each team scores a few runs

2. I like the human element of an umpire calling balls and strikes, but I do think that in innings 7-9, electronic monitors should be able to overrule wrongly called 3rd strikes.

Just a couple of things that would make the game even better than it already is. I also think this would draw more fans in.

The extra wild card is one of the dumbest things in sports to me. 162 games boiled down to 1 game? I'd probably murder someone if I watched the Red Sox win 90 games and play great all year, and then they lose because any of the numerous bullshit flukey things that can occur in a baseball game happens, and your season's over.

Also the playoffs have lost that prestige that it had when it was just 8 teams total. Making the playoffs use to be a huge accomplishment and now it's just not as special cause it's easier with the extra slot. They fucked it up badly.

I watch a lot of baseball though. Can't think of any changes to the actual game besides expanding the DH, but that will happen soon.

Edited by BradyFan81
  • Upvote 2

Make the entire league DH. Shorten the season a couple of months so the world series is around September.

I watch like 10 live games a week as is so yeah. But I absolutely hate the 2nd wildcard. At least make it a 3-game set.

I'll watch it no matter what happens...

Shorten the season by about 90-100 games or so, and then we can talk.

Also you'll need to chop my balls off because it's a gutless sport.

I thought I was gonna be the crazy one saying cut the season in half, but a few have already suggested it, the season is just too damn long, I have trouble following when the outcome of individual games just doesn't matter

As for the second wild card, I actually really like that change. They managed to simultaneously add a team to the playoffs and put a premium on winning the division, because if you need a wild card to get in you've got a really tough route. A one game play in is perfect because in addition to being more subject to randomness (bad bounces, bad calls, bad days, etc) by being a single game, you also burn your best pitcher making him only available once in the next round.

82 game season at most, and play up the individual players more. We all know Peyton, Brady, Watt, Calvin, Roethlisberger, AP. Who in baseball does the American public really know? McCutchen, Trout, and Ortiz?

Also steroids.

I don't think I know who any of those people are.

Albert Pujols

uh...

Dan Uggla because Trident loves him or something.

Baseball could make small changes to speed up the game, and they already have, but the soul of the game, the spirit of baseball, is not going to change. At the end of the day, people either like baseball or they don't. The game may be too slow for some, but some simply don't see it that way. Hell, you can make an argument that football is a slow sport (there's five seconds of action at a time), and we all love it.

Another problem Major League Baseball has with the season is that it begins in April, when sports fans are glued to the NBA and NHL playoffs, and it finishes in October, when we're all fixated on football season. We can give baseball our attention in the summer, but that's about it. On a Sunday or Monday night in October, I think most sports fans would rather watch a football game than playoff baseball.

No problem with the second wildcard. Don't want to play in it? Win your division.

Fill the outfield full of alligators, make the base runners run through boot-camp style obstacle courses between the bases, put a Double-Dare style challenge at home plate that must be completed for the run to count.

• Upvote 1