Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Rand Paul Proposes Largest Tax Cut in US History

So when you called me phial it wasn't a joke/quasai-insult?

So when you called me phial it wasn't a joke/quasai-insult?

Did you find it insulting?

No but I could see you meaning it as one.

Have you ever paired an Iowa pork chop with a German Reisling ?

A 14.5% flat-tax will definitely help some folks out, but make no mistake this plan was designed for the direct benefit of those on the uptick of 500-600k every year. The more money you make, obviously the higher percentage of new income you're going to see. That's fine though, personally, I don't really give a fuck about how much money other people have.

Where I don't see it working is the incredible amount of tax revenue they're going to lose. Right now, this country is collecting more income via taxes than ever, and still adding billions to the deficit every year. He's proposing to basically axe the revenue streams for medicaid and social security, and banking on economic growth to cover the balance. When you're already bringing in 2 trillion dollars or something less over the next decade from the cuts, that's gonna be a pretty big bridge to cross. He better hope that America goes spend-crazy right away and doesn't stop, because it's been shown that the people getting the biggest breaks from this plan aren't going to contribute much.

A 14.5% flat-tax will definitely help some folks out, but make no mistake this plan was designed for the direct benefit of those on the uptick of 500-600k every year. The more money you make, obviously the higher percentage of new income you're going to see. That's fine though, personally, I don't really give a fuck about how much money other people have.

Where I don't see it working is the incredible amount of tax revenue they're going to lose. Right now, this country is collecting more income via taxes than ever, and still adding billions to the deficit every year. He's proposing to basically axe the revenue streams for medicaid and social security, and banking on economic growth to cover the balance. When you're already bringing in 2 trillion dollars or something less over the next decade from the cuts, that's gonna be a pretty big bridge to cross. He better hope that America goes spend-crazy right away and doesn't stop, because it's been shown that the people getting the biggest breaks from this plan aren't going to contribute much.

I'd say taking the axe to social security is what we need. Formulate a new plan for older folks who've already retired, but put a "Born before this date" stamp on it then slowly let those who received it die out. It sucks to have so many people pay into social security for all these years to not get anything back but that's just what we have to do to not go into tremendous depths of shit.

I think a flat tax is stupid, but I doubt people are going to complain when they have their taxes cut. Rand's biggest piece when talking about it was cutting out loopholes though. The rich aren't going to be able to dance by through legal flaws anymore, they're going to pay a straight forward 14.5% like everyone else.

I think given the amount of natural resources that America has we can boost American production and skyrocket the economy. We have to make it more affordable for business to stay in the US compared to transitioning to third-world countries and paying Chinese kids $2 a day to make goods. Lowering tax rates definitely helps do that.

Government is just gonna need to back off on shit like military and entitlements to make it possible.

Have you ever paired an Iowa pork chop with a German Reisling ?

I'm curious to see where this is going...no I haven't.

Guest Phailadelphia

I'm really eager to see Phail get involved in this thread, because this has the makings for a really educated discussion on economics. Will probably devolve into insults tho. :coffee:

Kansas is 3 years deep into a very similar experiment if you want to get a peak into how it would probably go at a national level.

PSA: Kansas went from having a big surplus to being broke.

Guest Phailadelphia

To me, the most confusing part of the flat tax argument is how anyone can call it fair when almost every study (at least the ones I've read) point to a marked increase in income inequality. That's pretty damning for any arguments of fairness.

To me, the most confusing part of the flat tax argument is how anyone can call it fair when almost every study (at least the ones I've read) point to a marked increase in income inequality. That's pretty damning for any arguments of fairness.

That's a matter of perspective. Whether people consider equal income or equal percentages taxed as "fair".

Slightly off topic, but I had to post this.

1797489_10152976084650197_80712907667456

I like Ron Paul, but that's hilarious. :lol:

• Upvote 2