oochymp

NHL Offseason Thread

I'm really surprised nobody's started this yet, but here you go.

First big bit of offseason Capitals news:

June 25, 2015, 2:15 pm
Defenseman Mike Green and center Eric Fehr will not be returning to the Capitals next season and will test the unrestricted free agent market on July 1, the agent for both players told CSNwashington.com on Thursday.
“The Capitals have been open and transparent and honest and I think both players were clear in terms of their willingness and intention to stay if it was going to make sense,” said Craig Oster, who has been representing Green and Fehr since they were teenagers.
“It’s a function of where the Capitals are as an organization, changes that have been made there and the salary cap as to why they weren’t in a position to do much more than they were. At the end of the day, it’s a decision by them as to how they make their best team and based on all the factors it wasn’t going to work out for Mike or Eric or the organization and both sides will continue to move on.”

sad news, Green was actually close to returning to form last year when he wasn't asked to play 25 minutes a game, now somebody'll probably pay him to be a top line defenseman and he won't live up to the contract, but he wasn't gonna get off our third line and he'd cost more than a third line defenseman should

Fehr is pretty disappointing too, he's never been great but he's been one of our more consistent players over the last few years, he can also play just about anywhere which was a huge bonus

The good news here is that they haven't told Ward he's not coming back, I'm gonna be real sad if we don't keep him around

Was gonna bump the old thread. Draft tomorrow, Avalanche hold the 10th overall pick.

We need a left-shot defenseman so god damn bad it's not even funny. Hope our kids gets a shot this time around. (Bigras, Siemens)

The draft is being held about 15 minutes from my apartment. Gonna head downtown tonight and see if I spot any important people... :shifty:

Oh yeah, and Flyers need to play it cool this offseason. No splashy signings, keep clearing cap space, draft some forwards, re-sign Vorachek.

By Colorado Avalanche

Print E-mail

The Colorado Avalanche Hockey Club announced today that the team has acquired forward Carl Soderberg from the Boston Bruins in exchange for a sixth-round selection in the 2016 NHL Draft (previously acquired from Boston).

Soderberg, 29, appeared in all 82 games for the Bruins this past season, tallying 44 points (13g/31a) with a +10 plus/minus rating. He finished tied for third on the Bruins in points, while also ranking third in assists. The Malmo, Sweden native scored five power-play goals, tied for second on the club.

:notbad: But could mean Factor is gone.

Sabres draft is interesting. Obviously we take Eichel at 2 but I could see Murray using 21 to try to move up or trade for a player.

Edit: or it turns out we traded the 21st pick an hour before I posted this. Lol

Edited by blotsfan

Sabres draft is interesting. Obviously we take Eichel at 2 but I could see Murray using 21 to try to move up or trade for a player.

Edit: or it turns out we traded the 21st pick an hour before I posted this. Lol

https://twitter.com/SWhyno/status/614438696625012736

Milan Lucic has been traded to the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for the 13th overall pick in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft, goaltender Martin Jones, and Colin Miller.

That gives Boston the 13th, 14th, and 15th picks in this year's draft. It might seem odd for Boston to trade Lucic after trading Dougie Hamilton given that many would have predicted that the Bruins motivation for trading Lucic would be, in part, to pay for Hamilton. That being said, Lucic is set to become a free agent at the end of the 2015-16 campaign and the Bruins might have felt that they wouldn't be able to afford him at that point, irrespective of the Hamilton situation. Los Angeles might have similar difficulties, so this might prove to be a rental, but Lucic's blend of grit and skill will certainly help the Kings rebound from a disappointing 2014-15 campaign.

Woah Dougie to Calgary.

Gonna miss ya ROR. :(

Happy with the Devils pick. Czech players work good with us.

Love the Rantanen pick. ROR got us a good haul. He wanted 8 yrs 64 mil what the fuck.

Well that's an interesting day for the Sabres...

Love the Rantanen pick. ROR got us a good haul. He wanted 8 yrs 64 mil what the fuck.

Yeah I was actually joking with my friend that gpt me into hockey that Sakic should just trade O'Reilly's ass to the shitty Sabres, and it fucking happened! Love what the Avs have done these past couple days.

I really like Rantanen's speed, aggressiveness, handling, and situational IQ. Pair him up with Landy. :megusta:

The Flyers got what they wanted: a two-way defenseman and speedy right-winger. Love it.

Little surprised the Caps drafted a goalie in the 1st after resigning Grubauer, BPA and long term planning I suppose, just hope it doesn't mean we're expecting to lose Holtby

Now that I've looked into it more, I really like the O'Reily trade. Grigorenko desperately needs a change of scenery (we fucked up his development so badly) and while Zadorov is probably going to be good, we have a lot of good young defensemen and if we had to trade one, he would've been my pick. Our big weakness has been 0 offense and now we're fairly stacked at forward.

Love what Calgary has done.

Caps re-signed Beagle, hard to believe he's turned into a lifetime Capital, usually guys of his ability level end up bouncing around the league

Bruins better have something up their sleeve in the coming days. Right now Krejci's wings on the 1st line are....umm... tbd? To make things worse, we barely put a dent in our cap problems with our recent boneheaded trades. We need to somehow find a way to get Chris Kelly and Reilly Smith off this roster.

I'd LOVE to make a run at RFA Brandon Saad. Would probably have to give up a 1st rounder + more as compensation but at 22 years old he's worth it. No way would Chicago would match a 6M+ per year contract.

We also desperately need another quality defenseman. Francois Beauchemin, Christian Ehrhoff, or Paul Martin would be ideal but I doubt we get someone that good. Right now our D corps is

1st pair: Chara - Seidenberg (both players shells of themselves)

2nd pair: Krug - McQuaid (Krug is a great puck mover offensively. McQuaid is ok, gets injured all the time tho)

3rd pair: Millar - ummmmmm Trotman/Morrow/Warsofsky? All terrible options

IDK every team's defenseman group in the NHL but it's safe to say this is one of the 5 worst.

Not to mention our dipshit of a GM is trading away 3rd rounders for goons like Zac Rinaldo. A 3rd rounder for a player that had 1 goal last season in 58 games (TOI/G was 9). What a joke. I have so much confidence that Don Sweeney is going to be a disaster during his short tenure as Bruins GM.

Francois made expendable after the Beiska trade.

I'll be really surprised if one of the Penguins' big 4 isn't traded. My bet would be on Fleury but there's literally nothing to replace him. With how they all played in the playoffs, I wouldn't be opposed to trading Crosby, Malkin, or Letang either as long as the price was right.

Something kind of cool, the Florida Panthers drafted the goalie from my hometown NAHL team, Ryan Bednard. He played for the Johnstown Tomahawks, got to see him play a couple of times last year.

Don't know if you guys are following the Mike Richards drama, but it's starting to look like the guy was mixed up in some serious shit...

Mike Richards, whose contract has been terminated by the Los Angeles Kings, is part of an ongoing investigation by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police for an off-ice incident, a source told ESPN.com on Tuesday.

A spokesperson for the RCMP in Manitoba told ESPN that, as of Tuesday, no charges have been brought against Richards but declined to comment further.

The source said that Canadian Border Services is also involved in the investigation, but a spokesperson declined comment, citing Canadian privacy laws.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25229118/report-mike-richards-part-of-canadian-mounted-police-investigation

Our sources say Richards was stopped while crossing from the United States into Canada on June 17th ... and we're told he was questioned about oxycodone pills, a powerful painkiller.

For the record, Richards has NOT been charged with a crime.

However, he has since been cut from the team for "a material breach of the requirements of his Standard Player's Contract."

We reached out to Richards' agent for comment multiple times but haven't heard back. Canadian officials refused to comment, citing privacy laws.

http://www.tmz.com/2015/06/30/nhls-mike-richards-nhl-notified-about-oxycodone-drama-at-canadian-border/#ixzz3eb20EHyK

Oxy? Yikes, Mike. Now, that second link is TMZ, for the record.

Edited by SteVo

Richards was/is known as a mega party animal. lol ask Alex Burrows but this just takes the cake.

Richards was/is known as a mega party animal. lol ask Alex Burrows but this just takes the cake.

I'm aware. That's why Philly traded him in the first place.