oochymp

NHL Offseason Thread

Joel Ward's agent says nine teams have shown an interest in signing him, there were a lot of comments earlier about him wanting to stay in DC but it sounds like length of contract is the issue, he wants a four year deal but the team doesn't want to give him more than 2, while I can respect that when you're talking about a 34 year old player, I'd say go ahead and give him the four year deal, I'd love to see him retire as a Capital

Mike Green signed a 3 year $18M contract with Detroit, very similar to the deal he just finished and he's been pretty much universally viewed as overpaid. I wish him the best and hope Detroit's expectations aren't too high but I think that contract indicates they're gonna count on him for too much. That $6M per year puts him 12th among defensemen, granted everyone above him has a seven year deal or longer so in total money it's not that high, but that's still way too much to pay a guy who's now nothing more than a very good bottom pairing defenseman.

Huge trade in Penguins land.

Pens got:

F Phil Kessel

F Tyler Biggs

D Tim Erixon

2nd Rounder 2016

Leafs got:

F Kasperi Kapanen

F Nick Spaling

D Scott Harrington

1st rounder 2016

3rd rounder 2016

Pretty happy with that. Spaling was a good player but I don't think he does much off the Pens. The 1st and 2nd swap is dependent on the pens making the playoffs, but then instead the 2017 picks are swapped. Kapanen was our first pick last year, and he was killin it in the AHL last year.

All that said didn't expect us to make a huge splash like that, and pretty happy we did. Kessel/Crosby should be a really fun line to watch next year. This will let Hornqvist move down to the second line to help out Malkin.

Also signed Plotnikov from the KHL. Supposed to be pretty good, he'll probably play on the top 6.

Edited by theMileHighGuy

Martin St. Louis has decided to hang up his skates.

"I have been blessed to play for 16 years in the NHL; it has been an amazing ride," St. Louis said. "I would like to thank the Tampa Bay Lightning and New York Rangers organizations and owners for providing me the opportunity to play the sport I love for so many years." St. Louis had 391 goals and 1,033 points in 1,134 games with the Calgary Flames, Lightning, and Rangers. He won the Hart Trophy and Ted Lindsay award after scoring 38 goals and a league-leading 94 points in 82 contests back in 2003-04. He won the Art Ross Trophy again more than a decade later with 60 points in 48 contests in the lockout shortened 2013 season. He's also a three-time Lady Byng winner and a Stanley Cup champion.
Source: NHL.com

Caps just traded Troy Brower, a goalie prospect, and a third round pick for TJ Oshie, even though there's no way now we bring back Ward, I'm still pretty excited

yes Blues lose Oshie

the more I think about it the more I like our top six now, Ovi, Backstrom, Kuzy, Burakovsky, Williams, and Oshie, holy shit that's gonna be good, MacLellan has done a fantastic job as GM so far, I was a little worried when we hired internally that we'd end up with McPhee 2.0 but he's actually made intelligent moves

Edited by oochymp

Jesus christ St Louis. Don't just GIVE Oshie away for a pile of a dog shit.

:yes:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/3158/ryan-oreilly

Ryan O'Reilly has inked a seven-year, $52.5 million contract with the Buffalo Sabres.

O'Reilly will get the vast majority of his money in the form of signing bonuses, which apparently provides him with some protection against escrow. O'Reilly is a better player than he is fantasy contributor in standard leagues as a lot of his value comes from the fact that he plays a two-way game. If we were to just focus on his offense, then O'Reilly is unlikely to ever significantly surpass his current career-highs of 28 goals and 64 points, which he set in 2013-14. Even factoring in what he brings to the table defensively though, his cap hit is excessive. The Avalanche were justified in trading him rather than concede to his demands.

Man I like O'Reilly, but not that much!

He is the hockey equivalent of Mario Williams. Both chasing the dinero to rot away in BuffaLOL and never sniff a championship. :smug:

Edited by FartWaffles

Too much for us. Hope it works out for Buffalo.

Buffalo is gonna be better than Colorado next year

We have the better goalie, still have the better offense. The West is a war everh night so it all depends on if the defense is better.

Ryan O'Reilly now makes more money than Tavares, Hall, Benn, Seguin, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kopitar, Keith, Karlsson, Doughty, Price or Quick.

The Flyers got what they wanted: a two-way defenseman and speedy right-winger. Love it.

Apparently they have some good dmen stashed already. I don't think Hextall is going to be a flashy signing type of guy. Just re-sign talent from with in and draft. Usually the best policy in any sport besides occasionally the NBA.

Salaries keep rising in sports. This is nothing new. And to you Avs fans, if the Sabres finish with more points than the Avs next year you can wear the avatar of my choice for the playoffs. If the Avs finish with more than the Sabres, I'll wear one that you choose (that mods approve obviously)

Salaries keep rising in sports. This is nothing new. And to you Avs fans, if the Sabres finish with more points than the Avs next year you can wear the avatar of my choice for the playoffs. If the Avs finish with more than the Sabres, I'll wear one that you choose (that mods approve obviously)

I'm in.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Brandon Saad. That was a pretty big trade and everybody here was shocked about it. Mostly because we were assured by everybody in the organization he'd be extended. We thought Sharp and Bickell would get the axe but it seems like Saad wanted too much money. At least we got a decent return for him.

I'm in.

Cool. See you in April

Cool. See you in April

Count me in as well. ;)

Edit: Although since it's potentially two avatars if you win, I think you should also have to have a sig of our choice on top of it to balance it out.

Edited by FartWaffles

Fair enough.

blawts lawst

• Upvote 1

I'm still confused as to why Talbot and Hagelin were both traded away.

Talbot was a damn beast while Henrik was out injured and tbh seemed like he was in better form over the last part of the season.

Hagelin I expect a lot from and the Rangers got no where near the value for him they should have gotten. Just don't understand either trade.

Sad to see St Louis retire so much talent and excitement in his hayday and proved that being an undersized forward means nothing.

Jesus christ St Louis. Don't just GIVE Oshie away for a pile of a dog shit.

Brouwer is solid and will fit in well with the Blues play style.

Edited by BJORN