Sign in to follow this  
Sarge

Marriage Equality Ruling

I don't think anyone should be surprised by this ruling, I am glad it wasn't the Virginia case that went that far, we already have the interracial marriage case :ninja:

It's not surprising at all. It's just nice that it's finally official.

Washington Post put together a graphic that shows how quickly this shift occurred

How same-sex marriage became legal across the country - Washington Post

the start of the curve may have taken a while to come, though I think that's arguable when you consider that Lawrence v. Texas (in which SCOTUS said states couldn't ban consentual adult homosexual intercourse in private) didn't happen until 2003 (twelve years ago to the day) but it's undeniable that once momentum started change came incredibly quickly

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 1

I think marijuana will follow a similar path, as it should.

"The Supreme Court can no more repeal the laws of nature and nature's God on marriage than it can the law of gravity, Huckabee said. Under our Constitution, the court cannot write a law, even though some cowardly politicians will wave the white flag and accept it without realizing that they are failing their sworn duty to reject abuses from the court. If accepted by Congress and this President, this decision will be a serious blow to religious liberty, which is the heart of the First Amendment."

Huckabee is fucking drunk. Referred to it as judicial tyranny.

Edited by Chernobyl426

Yea man, millions of other people being happy ruins my life here in America. Time to move to Turkmenistan.

• Upvote 1

As great as this is, it really covers up the SCOTUS massive failure in regards to Obamacare the other day. It really entertaining / sad / exciting reading all the social media platforms today though.

What a fairly large contingent of white Christians in this country fail to realize that there is a significant difference between religious liberty and bigoted discrimination.

no, I think the issue is conflating religious liberty with state issued marriage licenses, there's nothing in this ruling that requires a church or any other religious institution to perform or recognize a gay marriage, though I think a lot more churches are coming around on this issue than you might think

• Upvote 1

11390065_1620299788225300_89099136690190

Found this funny.

Then you remember that there are disgusting people in this world. Not even God endorses this guy. Pretty sure God would be embarrassed by people filled with so much hatred.

1zwhmih.png

Edited by Favre4Ever

It's both entertaining and disappointing that people still believe everyone should live their lives according to the religious wishes of the few.

It is even more ridiculous to me that people can skew and bastardize the word of God into something so resentful and full of hatred. I mean people have been doing that for centuries and beyond , but ... I'd like to think that eventually that train of thought will diminish.

There will always be idiots. I'm just glad this is one easy political issue that is over forever.

I just got around to looking at the actual opinion (Link) and interestingly they did address the religious freedom argument as follows:

Finally, it must be emphasized that religions, and those who adhere to religious doctrines, may continue to advocate with utmost, sincere conviction that, by divine precepts, same-sex marriage should not be condoned. The First Amendment ensures that religious organizations and persons are given proper protection as they seek to teach the principles that are so fulfilling and so central to their lives and faiths, and to their own deep aspirations to continue the family structure they have long revered. The same is true of those who oppose same-sex marriage for other reasons. In turn, those who believe allowing same-sex marriage is proper or indeed essential, whether as a matter of religious conviction or secular belief, may engage those who disagree with their view in an open and searching debate. The Constitution, however, does not permit the State to bar same-sex couples from marriage on the same terms as accorded to couples of the opposite sex.

Then you remember that there are disgusting people in this world. Not even God endorses this guy. Pretty sure God would be embarrassed by people filled with so much hatred.

But Rand Paul's vehement anti-gay stance doesn't bother you? He has even cited religious reasons for doing so. I'm sure he's about to do a 180 on that though, unless he's afraid of losing the evangelical vote.

Big win for America today at any rate.

Edited by theMileHighGuy

no, I think the issue is conflating religious liberty with state issued marriage licenses, there's nothing in this ruling that requires a church or any other religious institution to perform or recognize a gay marriage, though I think a lot more churches are coming around on this issue than you might think

I was more or less referencing individuals, not institutions. I certainly don't believe that religious institutions should be forced to perform or recognize said marriages, but the individuals among those institutions should certainly be held accountable and understand the difference between what they believe and what the law should be.

I say make them read the entirety of the First Amendment. It makes it pretty clear.

Edited by BwareDWare94