FartWaffles

2015: Hot seat coaches

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8355/sean-payton

SI's Peter King mentioned that 2015 could be coach Sean Payton's last season with the Saints.

We doubt King has been told anything about Payton's seat being hot; it's simply common sense. The Saints are coming off their second 7-9 finish in three seasons, which sandwiched an 11-5 campaign that saw them lose in the Divisional Round. GM Mickey Loomis made sweeping changes to the roster and the team's identity this offseason, suggesting the Saints want to become tougher. Payton might need playoff success to secure his job for 2016, but it's hard to see the Saints actually firing the coach that pulled the franchise out of the gutter.

So with this news I thought it was appropriate to start this old thread up again. Who do you guys think are on the hot seat?

Here's my list...

:Bengals: Marvin Lewis

-It seems as though Mike Brown will never fire Lewis, but if this team underachieves again he might just get the boot. His 0-6 playoff record is just plain atrocious.

:Steelers: Mike Tomlin

-Steelers rarely fire their head coaches, but it may be time to at least consider it. I feel as though the Steelers under Tomlin are slowly regressing, especially on the defensive side which is supposed to be Tomlin's specialty. They need a spark in my opinion.

:Browns: Mike Pettine

-When you coach the Browns, you're always on the hot seat.

:Titans: Ken Whisenhunt

-Whiz is going to need Mariota to save his job. He's been less than stellar to say the least.

:dolphins: Joe Philbin

-He's got the pieces now, so there's no more excuses for him to make about not making a legit playoff push this year. He needs to take that next step in his coaching career.

:panthers: Ron Rivera

-He's just not head coach material in my opinion. Tends to coach scared, and the team has stalled over the years.

:Redskins: Jay Gruden

-RGIII fiasco aside, this team is just not very good. Whether or not the full blame is deserving for Gruden, he still needs to bring the Redskins back to relevancy soon, or it's going to be the axe for him.

:Giants: Tom Coughlin

-If the Giants struggle again, Coughlin will likely just retire before getting the axe. This team has definitely underachieved over the past couple years.

Edited by FartWaffles
  • Upvote 2

Rivera isn't leaving unless he dies or the Panthers utterly flounder. We're stuck atm.

Lewis needs to be gone.

Whiz has the rookie qb excuse, he's not getting canned unless we're absolutely atrocious

Marvin Lewis won't get fired. Saints would be nuts to fire Payton, he would have about 30 teams lining up to hire him.

If the Jags start out like 0-7 or whatever again like they did his first two years, I've gotta think it wouldn't be that surprising to me if the Jags fired Gus Bradley unless they start that bad again and finish spectacularly. But if say he starts 0-8 or something and ends up 3-13 again I think he's in trouble. It might not be "fair" given how trash the team was his first year taking over, but Gus and others have used different speak this offseason leading up to the year. It's obvious they feel like they need to produce now, no more mulligans it seems.

Rivera isn't leaving unless he dies or the Panthers utterly flounder. We're stuck atm.

Why do you think Rivera's job is so safe? Any reasoning for this?

Whiz has the rookie qb excuse, he's not getting canned unless we're absolutely atrocious

Yeah Whiz will likely get the benefit of the doubt at least for this year, but taking a 7-9 team and turning it into a 2-14 team is no bueno no matter how you look at it.

Marvin Lewis won't get fired.

What else does your crystal ball tell you?

If the Jags start out like 0-7 or whatever again like they did his first two years, I've gotta think it wouldn't be that surprising to me if the Jags fired Gus Bradley

Gus just barely missed making my list. He is definitely a (dis)honorable mention. :laugh:

Yeah Whiz will likely get the benefit of the doubt at least for this year, but taking a 7-9 team and turning it into a 2-14 team is no bueno no matter how you look at it.

oh, we were definitely shitty last year, and another 2-14 season would force the team to at least consider replacing him, but as long as Mariota at least looks decent and we're competitive in most of our games he'll get a pass

I can't see Marvin Lewis getting fired. Mike Brown is in love with the dude.

Surprised Chip didn't make anyone's list. Eagles front office is definitely drinking the kool aide right now and I think the fact that he hasn't been able to draft a QB in the first round probably saves him from getting canned this year, but with all the changes he's made in really making this his own roster I think he's under more pressure than ever.

I'd say Chip is one of the very best x's and o's, game day coaches in the game today. You can't argue with the results. 20-12 with great offensive numbers despite having nothing but back up QB's at his disposal. I haven't been a fan of all the moves he's made in the offseason thus far but lets see how it plays out on the field.

If Marvin misses playoffs his head should be off. Will stay if he makes it tho.

If Marvin misses playoffs his head should be off. Will stay if he makes it tho.

Marvin Lewis is like a black Jeff Fisher. Good enough to win enough games to sell some tickets and that's about it.

Why isn't Chip Kelly on any list?

The dude is trying to take full control of a team and if it fails..it will ruin that franchise for years. Eagles need to put a stop to it before it's too late.

Why do you think Rivera's job is so safe? Any reasoning for this?

Because Jerry Richardson is too nice to be an owner.

Why isn't Chip Kelly on any list?

The dude is trying to take full control of a team and if it fails..it will ruin that franchise for years. Eagles need to put a stop to it before it's too late.

At the same time though that's why the Eagles wanted Chip Kelly so bad. They've been all in with him since day 1. It's never a guarantee when you bring a guy in from college, but the ownership loves him. Hard to see them getting rid of him without getting him his franchise QB and something tells me they aren't sold on Bradford being that guy. They're just hoping he's better than Foles. Go big or go home. You play to win the game. I think it's the right move to let him figure it out because like I said before, there aren't many who can match Kelly as a game day coach or with x's and o's.

Yeah, I don't see the Chip Kelly kool aid going sour that quickly, especially since he does have a division title to his name

• Upvote 1

Because Jerry Richardson is too nice to be an owner.

That was always Wayne Weaver's (first Jags owner) problem. Then he made a kneejerk firing of Coughlin after the team was handcuffed by salary cap woes in 2000 which led to mediocre records from 2000-2002 and Weaver let fans get in his ear and fired Coughlin. He has since said it's the biggest mistake he's ever made in his life. After that he was broken, dude let the franchise unravel from the business side and he finally figured out maybe this whole NFL Owner thing wasn't for him.

I feel like the Eagles have to be a total disaster for Chip Kelly being fired to be a possibility. A disappointing season could put him on the hot seat for 2016 though.

I think Jason Garrett is gone if Dallas misses the playoffs. :Cowboys:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8351/joe-philbin

The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins firing coach Joe Philbin in-season "remains a possibility."

This is pure speculation at this point, of course, but when given the chance, owner Stephen Ross failed to endorse Philbin as the Dolphins' coach for the remainder of 2015. Miami is off to a lousy 1-2 start, barely squeaking by the Redskins Week 1 before losing back-to-back games to the Jaguars and Bills. According to writer Barry Jackson, players are also starting to make some noise, complaining about the length and intensity of a recent practice. The Dolphins were believed to be privately flirting with now-Falcons coach Dan Quinn after last season.

I think if you're Philbin, you have to be prepared to be given the ax mid season. And honestly, it may be sooner rather than later. I'd be pretty shocked if anyone but Philbin is our first coaching casualty. A lot can change in a short span of time though, so we shall see.

• Upvote 1

:Bengals: Every year.

:Giants: every 4 years.

:Saints: Payton starting to run low on time.

:Lions:

:Chiefs: Reid so bad

:Colts: not his fault because Grigson is stupid

:dolphins:

The Dolphins are playing well below their potential. They have all the pieces but it isn't coming together. The team is still very young and talented. Get rid of Philbin now and get someone in there that knows what they are doing and get turn this team around.

Oh, and I can't leave out Marvin Lewis. He should have been fired like 5 years ago.

This year has to be Marvin's last chance. The team looks really good, especially Dalton. If they can't win this year in the playoffs in a weak AFC, changes would have to be made.

But they probably wouldn't, because Bengals.

:Rams: Jeff Fisher