Sign in to follow this  
ATL_Predator

Russell Tebow is here.

Russell Wilson says God spoke to him right after Super Bowl interception
Posted by Mike Florio on July 6, 2015, 5:47 PM EDT

That new Russell Wilson interview, nearly a full hour in all, contains plenty of interesting things. Along with multiple examples of Wilson hearing the voice of God, directly and audibly.

The one that surely will get the most media attention comes from Wilson’s claim that God told Wilson not to have premarital relations with his new girlfriend, Ciara. But Wilson also says God spoke to him after that fateful interception at the end of Super Bowl XLIX.

“The play happens, and they pick the ball off. And I take three steps,” Wilson said. “And on the third step God says to me, ‘I’m using you. . . . I want to see how you respond. But most importantly I want them to see how you respond.”

Plenty of athletes and non-athletes over the years have claimed to have a direct pipeline to God. For those of us who believe in God but haven’t heard Him speak in an audible voice but have felt His nudge at a more vague and visceral level, a claim that He uses actual words with others can be both confusing and a bit off-putting. For those who believe that God doesn’t care about the outcome of sporting events, a claim that He is preparing an athlete for similar situations in the future can be both confusing and off-putting.

Regardless, Wilson seems to be saying that, above the din and the chaos of the moment, he heard God say, “I want to see how you respond. But most importantly I want them to see how you respond.”

I’m not sure I want to see how some of you will respond in the comments.

Edited by ATL

I’m not sure I want to see how some of you will respond in the comments.

• Upvote 1

I now officially hate Russell Wilson.

STOP using Christianity as a platform for self gratification, fucker.

• Upvote 1

Ok...I take it back...don't show that guy the money...

:troll:

For the sake of getting somewhere, let's take out what we all actually believe and keep it about what is and isn't okay to come public with.

He needs to keep being the Russell that came into the league, going to visit the terminally ill children on tuesdays, and just carrying himself in that humble way that he does. People see that and appreciate those things, and these are the types of things that I think most all people can relate to. A lot of people just want to see others do good, helpful, world-improvement types of acts regardless of what we believe.

I kind of do get it. He's sitting there, long offseason, after kind of a brutal last play after playing his ass of and typically coming up with the clutch plays up until that moment. He's itching to be better, and to be more, so he probably completely over-thought how to articulate it, and got the idea of inspiring the world to be abstinent and to be obedient individuals, identifying that God is the source of all love in the world and to continually preach this. Upon realizing this, I think he'll retract to his former self of just going to Seattle Children's and focusing on perfecting his game, and just never put himself first or ever come off as anything other than humble. The Ciara bit and the "God told me such and such" are definitely out of his element.

It's pretty much always the case with someone who is on the brink of / or has actually accomplished full-blown stardom that they screw something up once being at or near the top. This dude is no different.

Edited by BC
  • Downvote 12

For the sake of getting somewhere, let's take out what we all actually believe and keep it about what is and isn't okay to come public with.

He needs to keep being the Russell that came into the league, going to visit the terminally ill children on tuesdays, and just carrying himself in that humble way that he does. People see that and appreciate those things, and these are the types of things that I think most all people can relate to. A lot of people just want to see others do good, helpful, world-improvement types of acts regardless of what we believe.

I kind of do get it. He's sitting there, long offseason, after kind of a brutal last play after playing his ass of and typically coming up with the clutch plays up until that moment. He's itching to be better, and to be more, so he probably completely over-thought how to articulate it, and got the idea of inspiring the world to be abstinent and to be obedient individuals, identifying that God is the source of all love in the world and to continually preach this. Upon realizing this, I think he'll retract to his former self of just going to Seattle Children's and focusing on perfecting his game, and just never put himself first or ever come off as anything other than humble.

It's pretty much always the case with someone who is on the brink of / or has actually accomplished full-blown stardom that they screw something up once being at or near the top. This dude is no different.

You do realize that, based on the idea that what he supposedly believes is real, he will go to Hell if he never retracts this statement, right?

I kind of do get it. He's sitting there, long offseason, after kind of a brutal last play after playing his ass of and typically coming up with the clutch plays up until that moment. He's itching to be better, and to be more, so he probably completely over-thought how to articulate it, and got the idea of inspiring the world to be abstinent and to be obedient individuals, identifying that God is the source of all love in the world and to continually preach this. Upon realizing this, I think he'll retract to his former self of just going to Seattle Children's and focusing on perfecting his game, and just never put himself first or ever come off as anything other than humble. The Ciara bit and the "God told me such and such" are definitely out of his element.

didnt_read_midget_gif_zps8d40723a.gif

You do realize that, based on the idea that what he supposedly believes is real, he will go to Hell if he never retracts this statement, right?

What? Got me a bit confused here.

Tim Tebow goes out of his way any time there's a camera to remind everyone he's a Christian... Not really fair to compare the two based on this.

Wilson said all these things in an interview in a church. His relationship b/w him and God is his alone, but it isn't uncommon, or unusual for anyone in a church to talk about what God has done in their life.

• Upvote 1

...I love you Dmac.

But when you're saying God is telling you things immediately after you lost the SB like a chosen one....and then demanding more money than any other QB/Player in the league...something doesn't add up.

Humility and being open is one thing...self-appointing yourself as a divine football player and prophet of God is shameful..which is what's going on here.

Russell Wilson is the NFL's up and coming attention whore. He's going to have to fight Chip Kelly to take the full spotlight

It makes it easy to hate Russell but he's far from the first elite level athlete with a messiah complex. We just happen to live in an age where you can't say shit without somebody hearing/repeating what you say. I think it probably has to take borderline psychotic levels of egotism to believe yourself to be an elite NFL QB, not to mention an all time great,which in many statistical respects, Wilson already is. Some guys are just more cognizant of what and how to say things. Definitely a douchey thing to say on Wilson's part though.

...I love you Dmac.

But when you're saying God is telling you things immediately after you lost the SB like a chosen one....and then demanding more money than any other QB/Player in the league...something doesn't add up.

Humility and being open is one thing...self-appointing yourself as a divine football player and prophet of God is shameful..which is what's going on here.

Russell Wilson is the NFL's up and coming attention whore. He's going to have to fight Chip Kelly to take the full spotlight

Yea, I'm gonna leave all his comments about what God told him, etc, alone. Lol.

But on an un-relating note, How in the world have you managed to get around F4E's evil filter??

Dmac's Boy

Gets me every time. :mjlaugh:

What? Got me a bit confused here.

He has to retract this lie or he's going to hell (if heaven and hell are real). You can't lie and use your faith as a platform for self promotion.

He's either lying or needs to see a psychiatrist. Probably both.

Edited by BwareDWare94

He's full of shit, DMac, and I'm hard pressed to call that opinion over fact. I don't believe him. I think we can see right through this bullshit. He's using his faith as a means to gain something for himself through the eyes of other people, and that is not right. Lying to the world about having God "talk to him" is wrong in the eyes of God.

He very well could be suffering from a grandiose delusion, in which in his mind he might actually be telling the truth about God talking to him.

I personally find that more believable than it being a scheme to garner more popularity or whatever. I just don't get the vibe that Wilson would stoop to that low of a level.

He's full of shit, DMac, and I'm hard pressed to call that opinion over fact. I don't believe him. I think we can see right through this bullshit. He's using his faith as a means to gain something for himself through the eyes of other people, and that is not right. Lying to the world about having God "talk to him" is wrong in the eyes of God.

Well, nothing I'm about to write reflects my views on Wilson's comments, or Wilson but...

Like the last thing I said on the thread about equal "marriage", unless if what any Christian says about God goes explicitly against the characteristics of God given to those Christians in the Bible, we are reducing God to our own image if we assume we know how God reacts to certain things.

And not only that, but it isn't uncommon for Christians to assume God is the one talking to them when certain things happen.

If you are a Christian and you are going through a rough patch and don't know how you'll make it, etc, and a song like this comes on, and you start praising God through the song and the message clicks in your head, many Christians consider that "hearing" God's voice. And would say something along the lines of "God just told me I'm an overcomer". This same principle is often used when some instantaneously happens (some says something to you, you see a poster, etc), "God caused me to be at this very spot to hear/see this very thing therefor he is speaking to me" is often said.

If something doesn't go your way, you make a mistake or you're just in a bad circumstance (for example, throwing a pick in the last second of the Super Bowl) there are many ways you might react to a situation like that. Christians commonly believe that when they are put in those situation, how they react is being tested. And when that clicks in some people's head, "God, the devil, and people who don't like me, or don't like my faith are all waiting to see how I react to this situation that I'm in", they take it as "hearing" God say this to them.

And for many Christians, their conscious itself (at least when whatever their conscious is telling aligns with the Bible) is the Holy Spirit. So when you're about to have sex with the sexiest woman you've ever seen and (for Christians) that little voice tells you to not do it, that, to many is the Holy Spirit directly talking to you. And if you are a Christian who believes in the trinity, the Holy Spirit is God himself, so therefore God is the one talking to you.

It isn't at all strange or out of the ordinary for Christians, at least when doing testimonials, or whatever, to say things as though God was speaking to them directly with a voice. Some of us (like me, and I believe Florio, the guy who wrote the article) believe that God indirectly speaks to us by subtle things that happen (or don't) in life, and have never literally heard a voice that says xyz.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter how you believe God speaks to you as long as you believe God is with you, and that whatever you believe is coming from him aligns with the Bible.

I can see how, to some, the idea of God "talking" to us wouldn't make any sense. I can see how to many people this is just another attempt by a "nice guy" to try and use his supposed faith, etc, as gratification, especially with how much money we all know he wants/is demanding. But in this particular case he was talking to a church, and to me personally it sounded like any other testimonial you hear at these kinda things, only difference being that he's a professional athlete, and their was a lot of.... Theater and what seems like exaggerations on the side...

• Upvote 2