BC

Bounceback Candidates 2015

Was pondering some players that have seen recent dips in production, that have a good chance to bounce back and regain their old forms, or perhaps make significant improvements. Eli Manning popped in my head for the reason being that he's at some point going to have Beckham Jr and Cruz on the field at the same time, while also having two runningbacks that have excellent receiving abilities. Vereen is probably the most underrated FA signing. The screen game and Beckham Jr could really allow even a painfully average quarterback to excel. That tight end Donnell is going to see some really soft coverages. Even with not being much of an Eli fan, he is going to connect on some ridiculous plays thanks to the athleticism of his playmakers. OBJ will bail him out of bad throws left and right if he stays healthy.

Let's keep injured players out of it, anyone can say someone who's been hurt in the past will be more productive in the future. Next-man-up RBs are also kind of lame; I think we all can see Lance Dunbar / McFadden breaking out.

Some people believe that CJ Spiller with Brees could have a Sproles-like result, so it could be cool to see Spiller have a monster year, and not too improbable.

Jacob Tamme, the next man up TE for the Broncos. Even if they are an above average offense, Peyton's best tight end has never been lower than 600 or so yards and 7 or so TDs.

Others?

Edited by BC

Andre Johnson

-Andrew Luck and a receiver friendly offense should bring him back to Pro Bowl form.

Jason Witten

-Had the lowest yardage total of his career outside of his rookie year. With Murray gone, I expect the Cowboys to pass more than last year, and Witten should be the one to benefit the most from that.

Getting ready for work. I'll think of some more later.

Stevie Johnson....because Philip Rivers.

• Upvote 2

Trent Richardson.

I believe Indy is a shitty system for RB's with neckbeard and that behind Oakland's line there's be some nice holes especially if the passing game gets going.

• Downvote 2

Sean Lee

Let's keep injured players out of it, anyone can say someone who's been hurt in the past will be more productive in the future.

and to add to the conversation, I'll throw out Hakeem Nicks, not because I think he necessarily will bounce back, but because I think he needs to or he could be out of the league next year, he's already on his second one-year contract in a row with a different team after petering out in NY, I have trouble seeing him get another shot next year if he doesn't step up this year

Edited by oochymp

Trent Richardson.

I believe Indy is a shitty system for RB's with neckbeard and that behind Oakland's line there's be some nice holes especially if the passing game gets going.

He has never had a good year to bounce back from

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Trent Richardson.

Raiders would be well the raiders if T rich sniffs any of Murray touches.

Edited by monstersofthemidway

I agree with Bjern, Stevie Johnson is a prime candidate IMO. Jameis loves a veteran WR, so I'll say Vincent Jackson could surprise with some big numbers (via tons of targets) this year with us all expecting that to be Mike Evans. Kendall Wright is the best route runner and probably most reliable WR for a QB who can be very accurate underneath in Mariota as well as can get open and sit in zones when Mariota scrambles. Could see a bump in numbers there. :shrug:

• Upvote 1

I agree with Bjern, Stevie Johnson is a prime candidate IMO. Jameis loves a veteran WR, so I'll say Vincent Jackson could surprise with some big numbers (via tons of targets) this year with us all expecting that to be Mike Evans. Kendall Wright is the best route runner and probably most reliable WR for a QB who can be very accurate underneath in Mariota as well as can get open and sit in zones when Mariota scrambles. Could see a bump in numbers there. :shrug:

interesting to hear you say that about Wright when one of the biggest complaints I've heard about him is that he likes to freelance too much, which Munchak apparently let him do a lot more of than Whisenhunt has, now I think his ability to freelance makes him a great asset paired with Mariota's scrambling, but I think you're the first person I've heard say Wright is a great route runner

It's funny because Tamme is a Falcon.

LmaoBCfail

LMMFAO

---

How bouts Peyton Manning winning a supa bowl? :smug: :awaitnegsemote:

interesting to hear you say that about Wright when one of the biggest complaints I've heard about him is that he likes to freelance too much, which Munchak apparently let him do a lot more of than Whisenhunt has, now I think his ability to freelance makes him a great asset paired with Mariota's scrambling, but I think you're the first person I've heard say Wright is a great route runner

Munchak was just terrible at head coach. He's a oline coach who should of stayed an oline coach. Wright has sure handsand runs routes efficiently.

However here are the top 3 I think wI'll be in the running.

Eli Manning

Cruz coming back heathly, Beckham being best rookie wr and vareen signing. He bow has weapons and if his oline could hold up, he could have a great bounce back year.

Adrian Peterson

Surprised nobody mentioned him. I know it was legal issues that kept him out but this should be a player who will get attention for a bounce back.

Nick Foles

I'm going to throw out a hail Mary here. After a career year he fell off last year. 13 TDs to 10 ints last year. Now that he is in St Louis with a run game and fast wrs, I think he bounces back in a big way for them.

Munchak was just terrible at head coach. He's a oline coach who should of stayed an oline coach. Wright has sure handsand runs routes efficiently.

However here are the top 3 I think wI'll be in the running.

Eli Manning

Cruz coming back heathly, Beckham being best rookie wr and vareen signing. He bow has weapons and if his oline could hold up, he could have a great bounce back year.

Adrian Peterson

Surprised nobody mentioned him. I know it was legal issues that kept him out but this should be a player who will get attention for a bounce back.

Nick Foles

I'm going to throw out a hail Mary here. After a career year he fell off last year. 13 TDs to 10 ints last year. Now that he is in St Louis with a run game and fast wrs, I think he bounces back in a big way for them.

I didn't say Wright was an awful route runner, just that I hadn't seen anyone refer to that as one of his strengths. In fact, a google search of "Kendall Wright route running" brings up a plethora of articles talking about how he needs to be or is working on his route running, that he was given a lot of flexibility in his route running early, how he didn't do any routes at Baylor and the like. What I'm getting at is that it's not one of the top attributes that comes to mind when I'm thinking about Wright's strengths. That said, I think his ability to free-lance will be extremely helpful with Mariota's scrambling ability and I think that gives him potential to have a huge season, also going into year two of the new system should help.

As to the guys you brought up:

How is Eli Manning a "bounce back" candidate? he had 4410 yards last year (second best total in his career) completed 63.1% of his passes (a career best) averaged 7.34 YPA (a number he's only topped four times in eleven seasons) threw 30 TDs (second highest career total) and only 14 INTs (third lowest of his career, but his best year on that was his rookie year when he only played 9 games and threw 9 INTs, so really his second best year if you look at INTs/game) I really don't see what he's bouncing back from

I'd put AP in the same category as injured guys with "of course he'll likely be back at least close to the same form we saw before he missed time." If anything he's more obvious than guys coming off injuries because well, he's not coming off an injury.

Nick Foles is an interesting choice and I could definitely see him bouncing back in a new setting, I'd add that with Jeff Fisher calling things Foles won't be asked to do too much

Keenan Allen is gonna tear it up this year imo. He'll go right back to being Rivers' favorite target and he'll be an MVP to a lot of people's fantasy teams next year who maybe waited on taking a WR in favor of RB's or a QB early.

I didn't say Wright was an awful route runner, just that I hadn't seen anyone refer to that as one of his strengths. In fact, a google search of "Kendall Wright route running" brings up a plethora of articles talking about how he needs to be or is working on his route running, that he was given a lot of flexibility in his route running early, how he didn't do any routes at Baylor and the like. What I'm getting at is that it's not one of the top attributes that comes to mind when I'm thinking about Wright's strengths. That said, I think his ability to free-lance will be extremely helpful with Mariota's scrambling ability and I think that gives him potential to have a huge season, also going into year two of the new system should help.

As to the guys you brought up:

How is Eli Manning a "bounce back" candidate? he had 4410 yards last year (second best total in his career) completed 63.1% of his passes (a career best) averaged 7.34 YPA (a number he's only topped four times in eleven seasons) threw 30 TDs (second highest career total) and only 14 INTs (third lowest of his career, but his best year on that was his rookie year when he only played 9 games and threw 9 INTs, so really his second best year if you look at INTs/game) I really don't see what he's bouncing back from

I'd put AP in the same category as injured guys with "of course he'll likely be back at least close to the same form we saw before he missed time." If anything he's more obvious than guys coming off injuries because well, he's not coming off an injury.

Nick Foles is an interesting choice and I could definitely see him bouncing back in a new setting, I'd add that with Jeff Fisher calling things Foles won't be asked to do too much

Oh I was just stating what Wright was. I didn't mean to say u didn't think or know that lol.

And ok so if we are doing non obvious ones I'll take Foles for now.

Eli had a sneaky-good year last season.

• Upvote 1

For those saying Eli had a good season, they're absolutely right. Eli might just have had the best year of his career, but outside of Cruz and OBJ the rest of the team was a mess.

For those saying Eli had a good season, they're absolutely right. Eli might just have had the best year of his career, but outside of Cruz and OBJ the rest of the team was a mess.

so others on the team might be in position for bounce back years, but not Eli

:Eagles: Sam Bradford - I've always said I like Bradford despite him being in that cluster of a mess in St Louis. He's now in a QB friendly offense in Chip's system and has a plethora of weapons around him. Not to mention he should have a very solid running game. "IF" Bradford can stay healthy, I honestly believe he was have a great year and be an easy candidate for come back player of the year. The talent is still there.

:Vikings: Adrian Peterson - To be quite honest, I think Adrian Peterson is going to run away with this award. In no scenario do I bet against Adrian Peterson. In my mind, he is still the best RB in the league until proven otherwise.

:Colts: Andre Johnson - I didn't write off Dre as most did (not here). I still believe he can play at high level. Maybe not at the high end of the elite totem pole but a very solid season. I think he can still put up 90ish receptions and 1200+ yards. Dre is about to be in the best situation of his career. It sucks that he had to wait until the end of his career but he's with one of the best QB's in the game and he won't be the main focus either with Hilton drawing attention on the deep ball.

:Cardinals: Darryl Washington - He's so underrated that even if he does come back and play at an elite level, he's get over looked. Washington was a top 3 ILB in my eyes for the past several years. There is simply nothing that he can't do. He's a tackling machine, can get pressure and sack the QB, stuff the run, and he was one of the top end covering LB in the league.

I also like the Stevie Johnson mention. Still one of the better route runners in the league and really hasn't been in a great situation his entire career to be honest. The 49er situation last year was a wreck and I know he has a lot more to offer than what transpired last season. He was also dealing with groin injury I believe.

To be quite honest, I think Adrian Peterson is going to run away with this award.

Do you really think the NFL would allow the comeback player of the year award go to a player who's coming back from a suspension? That feels like a pr nightmare

Edited by oochymp

Well, players who haven't played the year prior do qualify to be a candidate for the award. It doesn't say specifically the reason why in which they would qualify or not :shrug:

so others on the team might be in position for bounce back years, but not Eli

Victor Cruz could be a good one. Gonna be tough for defenses to zero in on him.

How Kiko Alonso for a homer pick? Love this dude's skill set. He's a side line to side line tackler and he has play making ability both in coverage and as a pass rusher.

I expect Victor Cruz to have a big season. Everyone is focused on OBJ because of him stepping in last year for Cruz, but he can still ball.

Didn't even realize the Chargers picked up Stevie Johnson. Definitely see a good year coming for him.

Colin Kaepernick-QB-SF: New Coach Jim Tomsula says he is going to allow Colin to use his legs even more than he already has the past two years. If he is successful in running and also Carlos Hyde is a successful rusher this could open up for more passing yards and most likely more Passing TD's than 19 that he had last year.