Sign in to follow this  
DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Top 10 SGs

Last year's can be found here: http://www.thegridironpalace.com/forums/index.php?/topic/70350-top-10-sg/

A lot of players who were on this list last year aren't this year. Which I guess speaks at how weak in general the position is outside of the top. Which hopefully should make for a somewhat interesting conversation...

Anyway, like with the previous thread, your opinion/critiques/personal rankings are welcomed. Especially since I won't be able to post the next group until Tuesday night, at which point this thread will probably be dead. Lol. I'll probably post the next 3 tomorrow morning before I leave.

12. Victor Oladipo

hi-res-Preview_crop_north.jpg?w=650&h=44

18 PPG/ 4.2 TRB/ 1.7 STLs/ 4.1 AST/ 2.8 TOs

16 PER/ 44% FG/ 34% 3P/ 47% eFG/ 53% TS

Why he’s not in the top 10:

Oladipo made the move from PG to SG and I’d say it went very well his first year at the position. He was asked to shoot more, and carry a bigger load on offense and he responded well, shooting better from virtually everywhere. He was also one of the most aggressive players in the league this year as only three shooting guards drove to the basket more (Elfrid Payton surprisingly drove to the basket more). And he played very good defense. His offense is far from complete though, he eats up too many possessions by just dribbling, and his jumper, while improving is a work in progress. I think he will climb to the top 10 next year.

11. Louis Williams

457808322.jpg?w=594&h=349&crop=1

16 PPG/ 1.9 TRB/ 1.1 STLs/ 2.1 AST/ 1.3 TOs 20

PER/ 40% FG/ 34% 3P/ 49% eFG/ 56% TS

Why he’s not in the top 10:

Speaking strictly offensively, Williams has an argument for being in the top 10. He takes a little too many 3s imo, but that aside, he gets to the line at an incredible rate which makes his offensive game very efficient despite not being the best shooter around. He was so good on offense this past season that the offense scored nearly 5 points less with him out of the game then in it. The issue with Williams is that if he isn’t getting to the basket, and drawing fouls, his offense crumbles. Defensively Williams is also pretty bad. He isn’t as bad as he was in the past, but even last year he was underwhelming on that side.

10. Kyle Korver

Kyle-Korver-Continues-to-Impress.jpg

12.1 PPG/ 4.1 TRB/ .7 STLs/ 2.6 AST/ 1.4 TOs 15

PER/ 49% FG/ 49% 3P/ 67% eFG/ 70% TS

Why he’s in the top 10:

Isn’t it obvious? His three point shooting. It isn’t like me to put a guy in the top 10 because they do one thing well, it is extremely unlike me to put a guy in my top 10 because he does one part of one thing extremely well. But it speaks volumes of how valuable Korver was to the Hawks. First of all, a TS of 70 is unheard of. Even for Korver, that’s ridiculous, and he did it while averaging more 3 pointers then just about any other season outside of one, and he never had a 3 pt FG this high. And his shooting did more then just add tons of points, it completely changed the way teams played the Hawks. I’d go as far as arguing that he was the MVP of that offense with the way he opened the game up for everyone. Especially Teague.

Why he isn’t higher:

Still can’t play defense. This past season was slightly better for Korver as he was in a far better system that hid some of his flaws, but still, his defense was still pretty bad. He also didn’t contribute in many ways outside of his shooting, which means that when that wasn’t on, he wasn’t doing anything. Korver is a phenomenal shooter. But even for him, last season, and not only was it probably his best shooting year ever, but the most he’s ever impacted a game.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F
  • Upvote 1

Due to injury I'm sure u left Kobe out right? I'm curious to see where u would rank him though.

Probably 5th or 6th. At least if we are assuming that he finished out the season the way he started. But yea, I leave the cut off to about give or take 50 games.

Harden Butler and Thompson ahead of him if heathly if he could stay heathly. That's the problem. 5th seems fair

Please tell me Wes Matthews will be on this list.

My Butler love come true :wub:

Without disclosing where he's on my list, where do you think he belongs?

6 or 7, and thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for not having JJ Redick way too high.

• Upvote 1

I can already tell I'm going to take Dmac out behind the woodshed with the way this list is going....

200_s.gif

• Upvote 1

Major props for the inclusion of Khris Middleton. He was quietly very good last season. He had a tendency to take bad shots but all players go through that phase.

6 or 7, and thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for not having JJ Redick way too high.

After I ranked Korver, I felt obliged to list him somewhere. Lo.

I can already tell I'm going to take Dmac out behind the woodshed with the way this list is going....

200_s.gif

Lol, it could of be 100 times worse then I made it. Haha.

Alright, I'm back so I can finish this. Lol.

6. Tyreke Evans

tyreke_evans_640x313.jpg

17 PPG/ 5.3 TRB/ 1.3 STLs/ 6.6 AST/ 3.1 TOs

18 PER/ 45% FG/ 30% 3P/ 48% eFG/ 51% TS

Why he’s in the top 10:

Evans was arguably the most aggressive player in the league last season as nobody drove to the basket more than Evans did. It’s not new for Evans to take it hard inside, but this past season was his most successful, and he did so more often than ever before. He also generated the 3rd most amount of points of any player on drives to the basket with around 539 points in 2014-2015. What was more impressive was his three point shooting which also improved this past season despite taking more threes than ever before. Evans was probably also the best distributor of the 2 guards, he is so good that he was often asked to take the role of the 1 guard, and distribute the ball, he filled that role great coming out with the best AST/TO ratio of any player on this list, and finishing with the highest assist rate then anyone else on this list. This was done without a crazy increase in turnovers, which speak volumes of how much better he’s gotten there.

Why he’s not higher:

Evans didn’t get to the line as much as usual, and when he did get to the line, he actually shot worse than in the past seasons. He’s also still not all that much of a threat outside of the paint as he has no jumper, which ultimately kills the spacing. If Evans could get that FT rate back up to years past, there’s no reason why he can’t be a 20 point guy, but the issue with Evans is that every year it seems, he fixes one issue to have another complete different issue rise. His defense is also very unimpressive for a guy with Evans level of aggressiveness and overall talent. He’s very much a work in progress, but showed more promise than ever last season.

5. Dwyane Wade

48fca720-b055-5c25-c847-60f90d5fc35f-bet

21.0 PPG/ 3.5 TRB/ 1.2 STLs/ 4.8 AST/ 3.4 TOs

21.4 PER/ 47% FG/ 28% 3P/ 48% eFG/ 53% TS

Why he’s in the top 10:

At this point, Wade is arguably one of the greatest players of all time, when it comes to employing multiple tactics, tricks, and overall savviness to get to the paint and score on the inside despite getting older and older, and having really no outside game. Wade had the highest field goal in the NBA when driving to the basket, and shot well over 60 around the basket. He did all of this with major changes happening left and right from the start of the season to the end, and while battling health issues and having no other threat around him for a good majority of the season. And with the loss of LBJ, Wade had to go back to handling more of the ball handling/ and dishing out and he responded pretty well looking good as ever at finding the open guys around the basket and out on the perimeter. Wade also excels at handling the pick and roll on defense as he can always find ways to stick with his man before, and after them.

Why he’s not higher:

Overall inefficiency this past season compared to the three previous seasons took a massive dip, across the board. Regular, and effective field goal dropped by around 7 points, and his field goal percentage on 2s dropped by almost 7 points with his TS% dropping by 5 points. He also had TO average since 08-09 at around 3.4, and averaging around 11.9 turnover rate. More than likely, this can, and should be attributed to losing a lot of the talent around him, and even going through a lot of roster turnover as the season progressed. But this, plus an increase in how some other players performed this season dropped him for me.

4. Goran Dragic

dragic.jpg

16 PPG/ 3.5 TRB/ 1.0 AST/ 4.5 AST/ 2.2 TOs

17.4 PER/ 50% FG/ 35% 3P/ 56% eFG/ 58% TS

Why he’s in the top 10:

No shock to see Dragic fall (although it’s only 2 spots) on this list from his performance two years ago, this was pretty much predicted. But don’t let his seemingly worse numbers fool you, he actually shot better from everywhere on the court but the 3 point line where there was a drop off. Only Harden and Evans drove to the basket more per possessions then Dragic, and even Harden shot nowhere near as well as Dragic (67% around the basket!) did around the basket. Not only that, but when driving to the basket, only two players in the league shot better (LBJ, DWade) and in the case of Wade, did not attack as much as Dragic did. Most of his dropoff in stats can be attributed more to playing time than anything else as his minutes, shots, and usage all dipped. He was still a great distributor when asked to be a floor general as he had the second best AST/TO ratio among players on this list, and was second among starting SGs in assist rate. Dragic will never be confused for Tony Allen, but last year he was a pretty good defender as long as he wasn’t dealing with screens.

Why he’s not higher:

I think anywhere between 6th and 2nd is where Dragic will remain for the rest of his prime, which is totally fine. The biggest reasons for why he’s not higher can be attributed to his drop off with shooting the three, as that was/is the only real difference between last year and this year. His defense, compared to the guys higher wasn’t anywhere near as good either as he finished out with a negative plus/minus on defense, and both the Heat and PHX were better on that side with him on the bench.

• Upvote 2

I just can't fathom why Wes Matthews isn't on this list unless you're worried about his injury, which is justified. At the same time, if he returns to 100%, he's better than 6--12.

Don't think you can really argue with this list. Harden is by far and away the best SG in the league and Butler and Thompson are top three.

How many games did Matthews play? As I'm guessing the only reason he isn't here is because he played less than 50 games? If he was eligible imo Mathews would be 4

Butler finally there :wub:

He deserved it, guy was a beast this year. And this is coming from someone who hates the Bulls.

I just can't fathom why Wes Matthews isn't on this list unless you're worried about his injury, which is justified. At the same time, if he returns to 100%, he's better than 6--12.

Matthews to me is a 3 and D guy who's defense was lacking this year. Every player I put in the ranking I'm reading and able to defend, Matthews... Not so much. :p