Sign in to follow this  
Sarge

What supplements do you take?

Some of us were talking in the shoutbox earlier about supplements.

I just take a well-dosed Omega 3 fish oil supplement and a multi-vitamin. If you lift weights a lot, the only other thing I think you would need is whey protein and you'd be all set.

But anyone at any activity level can benefit from fish oil and a good multi-vitamin. :yep:

Make sure the fish oil caps are high in EPA and DHA if you decide to buy them. Those are the important aspects of the Omega 3 fats.

Nothing yet. I plan on overhauling my diet to the point where I am only eating chicken, fish, and steak for the most part. So I don't know if I would need to use fish oil if I already have fish in my diet.

I plan on getting on a multivitamin though. Do you have any recommendations for that? And do you know if they help with joints? I know there are probably joint supplements that I can find if not. Since I've started working out more stringently this summer, my elbow has sometimes bothered me and I have knee problems from running.

Food and Water.

• Upvote 1

Usually use a pre-workout before I workout. Maybe not every time but probably 3/4ths of the time. Right now I'm using Mr. Hyde.

After my workout I take this energy protein that comes in a bag. Also has some caffeine in it to give me a little kick.

Before bed I take some Whey Protein.

Just took fish oil for the first time today so I'll probably take one of those every day too.

Nothing yet. I plan on overhauling my diet to the point where I am only eating chicken, fish, and steak for the most part. So I don't know if I would need to use fish oil if I already have fish in my diet.

I plan on getting on a multivitamin though. Do you have any recommendations for that? And do you know if they help with joints? I know there are probably joint supplements that I can find if not. Since I've started working out more stringently this summer, my elbow has sometimes bothered me and I have knee problems from running.

Controlled Labs Orange Triad

Pros:

- excellent nutrient profile

- multi-vitamin, joint support, immune system support all in one

- high quality forms of the vitamins that your body can actually use

Cons:

- Can be a bit pricey depending on your budget.

- You have to take 6 pills of it every day to get the full benefits. 3 with breakfast and 3 with dinner.

I got tired of taking all those pills, so I stopped using it. You could buy a bottle and see if you like it though.

What kind of fish do you eat? Not all fish have high amounts of Omega-3 fatty acids.

• Upvote 1

Omega 3 fish oil is about it for me. Ill drink a prework out shake as well. Pretty much addicted to C4.

Guest Phailadelphia

Caffeine

Fish oil

Glutamine

BCAAs

Whey

Creatine

Nothing vitamin wise but I know I probably should start soon.

My diet is mainly chicken and fish so that's not too bad. Very rarely will I have a protein flap Jack after a gym session.

Started thinking about using whey protein but I'm always a bit unsure if it works.

Of course Whey Protein works. Just watch which ones you buy.

Controlled Labs Orange Triad

Pros:

- excellent nutrient profile

- multi-vitamin, joint support, immune system support all in one

- high quality forms of the vitamins that your body can actually use

Cons:

- Can be a bit pricey depending on your budget.

- You have to take 6 pills of it every day to get the full benefits. 3 with breakfast and 3 with dinner.

I got tired of taking all those pills, so I stopped using it. You could buy a bottle and see if you like it though.

What kind of fish do you eat? Not all fish have high amounts of Omega-3 fatty acids.

Only $28 on amazon, not too bad. But yeah that's a lot of upkeep.

Haven't added fish yet, though salmon will be my go-to right away. My plan is to implement my new diet by the end summer, which requires me to learn how to cook. Though when school hits it might be hard to keep up so I may end just switching to omega-3s via pill.

Forgot to mention I do take protein after workouts just the traditional CytoSport MuscleMilk which I like but I'd love to hear suggestions on better protein powders. I've been a little hesitant to start a pre-workout supplement but have been referred to MusclePharm, so that's probably what I'd go to if I start.

Yea, honestly if I were you I would just buy this http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Fish-Pills-Counts-Health-Supporting/dp/B00CAZAU62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437666479&sr=8-1&keywords=fish+oil

in addition to the Orange Triad.

I don't use protein supplements (but I may start) so I can't give you any advice on those.

• Upvote 1

This is what I mean when it come to whey protein I have no idea.

Guest Phailadelphia

Whey protein is whey protein...some only "work" differently in the sense that they're loaded up with other supplements (vitamins, BCAAs, etc). That being said you can't go wrong with Optimum Nutrition.

• Upvote 2

The only supplement that you really "need" because your body and diet don't really account for it is creatine. Protein can definitely be made up for with diet, and most people generally get enough BCAAs/amino acids if they just diversify the types of proteins they consume.

Pre-workout is popular, but it's very expensive so I shy away from it. I'm pretty frugal with my protein powder.

To answer the question, I use protein powder and creatine. I use vitamin supplements just because I don't always have the time to prepare a meal that is loaded in vitamins with vegetables and fruits and the like. I also will take a scoop of fiber if I feel like I haven't had enough of it during the day.

EDIT: My protein consumption usually consists of several eggs in the morning, a glass or two of milk, protein powder if I haven't had a lot of protein during the day, and a lot of chicken, fish, or steak. I try to vary the latter three day-to-day to diversify it. I've found that my favorite of the three are Mahi-Mahi, Grilled Chicken Breast, and ribeye steak.

Edited by OSUViking

I just can't really agree with a healthy diet being enough. There have been heaps and heaps of studies every year that prove the foods we eat now aren't nearly as nutritious as they were generations ago. It's hard to "feel" the effects of a good multi-vitamin working, but I think it's a sound argument that a good multi-vitamin is absolutely necessary for people who want optimum health.

And Omega 3 fish oil supplements are much more convenient than making fatty fish mandatory in your diet twice per week. That way you get a consistent dose of it every day rather than a few times a week when you eat fish. This is important because small doses of Omega 3 fatty acids have been proven to aid cognitive function and sleep quality. That's why I take one with breakfast and one after dinner late in the evening. My sleep quality has improved tremendously.

The protein sources you listed are definitely good, and I include a lot of them in my own diet. But whey protein is still the best for your muscles. It doesn't really have an equal even from real food. I don't take it because I don't lift. I just sprint really fast instead because I enjoy it more. But I really think if you're lifting 4-5 times per week, you're not getting the most out of your hard work without whey protein powder.

I take a multivitamin, a B vitamin, fish oil, magnesium, and whey protein.

Pre workouts have never ever worked for me. They don't even a little bit wake me up, or help me lift in any way shape or form. I tried it about 3 times, and then went back to GNC and slapped the motherfucker who sold me the shit and got my money back. I kid, I didn't slap him, but I did get my money back. Lol.

Of course that might also have to do with the lack of sleep...

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

How long will a protein powder last if you have it everyday? Don't want to shell out 40/month but if it lasts 2 months then it might be worth it

Most people I know use it twice per day. If you lift first thing in the morning, eat something small before lifting and then have the shake after, and then have it again some time in the evening. Or if you lift in the evening, have a regular breakfast high in protein food, then have your protein shake for lunch or in the middle of the day, and drink it again after you lift. You always want to have one of your servings after lifting.

• Upvote 1

I just can't really agree with a healthy diet being enough. There have been heaps and heaps of studies every year that prove the foods we eat now aren't nearly as nutritious as they were generations ago. It's hard to "feel" the effects of a good multi-vitamin working, but I think it's a sound argument that a good multi-vitamin is absolutely necessary for people who want optimum health.

Every person is different, but I limit myself to taking the multivitamin, whey protein (occasionally), and creatine. Occassionally, I'll give in and take something like Echinacea because I'm curious or L-Argine/L-Glutamine supps, but generally I neglect to.

The result? I'm not large by any means (I've only been lifting for a little over a year), but I put on something like 30 lbs and I had a pretty inefficient beginner's stage because I didn't know what I know now. Right now, I'm not getting much bigger, but I've been on a long, progressive cut (185-175 and back and forth because of vacations) and have had tremendous strength gains during that time. Right now, my main lifts are as follows (these are PRs):

Bench - 185 (Gonna try another PR today)

Squat - 235 (Gonna try another PR this week)

Deadlift - 280 (Gonna try another PR this week)

OHP - 115 (Gonna try another PR this week)

Those aren't very good lifts for the average gym goer. I won't consider myself "strong" until I can get those lifts (respectively) to 250, 315, 405, and 165. But my point is, I was hardly repping 95 lbs on bench a year ago, could hardly squat 135 with a quarter squat, didn't know what a bent-leg deadlift was until around Christmas, and neglected shoulders so much it's a miracle I can max above 100. I'm not trying to gloat (obviously, there's nothing to gloat about :p), but merely trying to point out a lot of supps are unnecessary if you have a good diet. Multivitamins are really cool and awesome, I'll definitely concede that. But I don't at all think BCAA or amino supplements are crucial for gains.

This is just my own theory (and there are others who believe this), but I think professional bodybuilders aren't as open about steroid use because it would ruin their supplement endorsements. If people came out and said, "Hey, these supps didn't help me as much as I said it was really steroids", then I don't think people would buy into that industry at all and would instead just overload on steroids. I don't think steroids are inherently wrong, but I think they should really be saved for when you reach your natural limit in size.

That's just my own crackpot theory, though. I'm not at all trying to talk down to anyone who uses supplements outside of those I listed, just stating that I don't think they're necessary. I'm pretty frugal with my money, so I don't want to go out and buy five different containers at a time that all cost in the $30-$50 range (especially when the good whey protein costs like $75 a container).

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify, I'm not saying BCAAs/Amino/other supplements are ineffective; they certainly work. Just, again, don't think they're necessary when things like eggs, chicken, lean beef, steak, or fish can give you as many fatty acids, amino acids, or BCAAs as you need. Having more will benefit you (at least from what I've read).

Edited by OSUViking

The protein sources you listed are definitely good, and I include a lot of them in my own diet. But whey protein is still the best for your muscles. It doesn't really have an equal even from real food. I don't take it because I don't lift. I just sprint really fast instead because I enjoy it more. But I really think if you're lifting 4-5 times per week, you're not getting the most out of your hard work without whey protein powder.

Sorry, didn't see this. I'll concede the fatty acids if you only eat fish a few times a week. Whey protein is good for quick muscle recovery because it's fast acting, but protein is protein. As long as you're getting the recommended gram of protein per lb in bodyweight, you'll see gains. Between February and March, I didn't have any whey because I didn't want to spend my money and had run out. I just ate a lot of chicken (there were times where I went overboard and had like 300g of protein a day). Again, I'm not denying that whey is great for post-workout, but protein will be protein at the end of the day.

I think I also misunderstood your first point about diet not being enough. I thought you were referencing the amino acids/BCAAs part of my argument. Yeah, multivitamins are great and I take them. Think I may have omitted that fact in my first post.

EDIT: Jeebus. Sorry for all the edits, but forgot ANOTHER thing. A really good and extremely cheap (IDK how expensive fatty acid pills are) source of fatty acids is flax seed. Flax is like... amazing, I guess. I took it because my dad recommended it to me, but apparently it has ample protein, great fiber, and has both the primary fatty acids. If it's cheaper than the pills, I'd recommend incorporating it into something like oatmeal. It's terrible for drinks.

Edited by OSUViking

How long will a protein powder last if you have it everyday? Don't want to shell out 40/month but if it lasts 2 months then it might be worth it

If you have it once a month it should last you two months, but I would recommend taking it immediately after your workout and right before going to bed.

I think in the fall I may start taking Creatine so I ask you users what should I expect? How long should I take it before cycling off? Any side effects that you've experienced?

If you have it once a month it should last you two months, but I would recommend taking it immediately after your workout and right before going to bed.

I think in the fall I may start taking Creatine so I ask you users what should I expect? How long should I take it before cycling off? Any side effects that you've experienced?

Whey is best after a workout and in the morning. For bed, you want casein.

Also, just stay hydrated and creatine is great. Adds water to muscle so makes you look a bit bigger, and increases strength. Every few months you're supposed to cycle off and then load up again, but I haven't done that.

I hit 200 lbs for my max on bench today. To put it into perspective, my max at the beginning of summer was somewhere in the 170s. Creatine is the most proven supplement and the only one you can't replace with diet.

Edited by OSUViking
  • Upvote 1