Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Boykin"Chip Uncomfortable Around Men of Our Culture"

In a text message to Comcast SportsNet’s Derrick Gunn, Boykin said Kelly is “uncomfortable around grown men of our culture.”

“He can’t relate and that makes him uncomfortable,” Boykin added in the text message. “He likes total control of everything, and he don’t like to be uncomfortable. Players excel when you let them naturally be who they are, and in my experience that hasn’t been important to him, but you guys have heard this before me.”

The “heard this before me” reference pertains to other Eagles who were sent packing, one way or another, during Kelly’s tenure as head coach. Kelly’s third training camp starts Sunday at the NovaCare Complex.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/08/after-being-traded-brandon-boykin-says-chip-kelly-is-uncomfortable-around-black-players

There is a pattern emerging. By this point is this just players following the herd and saying what fellow teammates have to throw some shade on Chip or do you / are you starting to actually believe this rhetoric?

Edited by Favre4Ever

I think it's safe to say that he's a control freak.

Also, Chip gonna Chip.

I think he's a control freak as in he wants who he wants in his system. McCoy ran out of the system far too often and didn't follow the play design. Chip wants a down hill runner. Chips favorite line especially in regards to defense "Big people best up little people." He wants tall and long corners. Boy Kim didn't fit that even though he may have been solid for the job. Desean... I think may have been a special case in regards to attitude. But I can see Chip being a stickler for getting the players "he" wants in his system. He has a vision for success and he's going to follow. Whoever does not fit that vision, he's sending them packing. I think that may be a factor that's rubbing the players the wrong way. They may be taking it personal.

I think its probably true. He came from Oregon where he had full control of everything he wanted from recruitment to offensive plays. I guess for a lack of a better word he likes players he can mould into his system and these players are generally are going to be younger players or players with a high ability to adapt.

If you don't change or fit he seems happy to just drop you when he can. Too many are saying the same thing to be a coincidence

• Upvote 1

So then this brings up an interesting question in my mind.

If Chip is going to have every aspect of the team be in line with his specific desires, how long of a leash should he be given as a coach? 3-4 more seasons? More than that?

I think the front office has completely bought into him and his philosophies. He's going to be in Philly for a long time whether he succeeds or not. It'll be interesting to see for sure.

Yep, he's essentially doing what a lot of new GMs do and send off the other dude's guys and bring in (via the draft and FA in Maxwell's case) their own. Also on the control stuff, don't forget before Oregon he was a small school coach where the control is even more overreaching. That might be the way he envisions how a team should be ran. Credit to Bomani Jones on that thought.

• Upvote 1

Bomani Jones, an analyst that ESPN does not use enough.

I'm going to watch Chip crash and burn...and it will be ever so glorious because at this rate if he fails the Eagles are fucked for quite a few seasons.

Can't wait to see this all blow up right back in his face.

• Upvote 2

Honestly I think it's just players being butthurt after a "break up." Chip shouldn't be blasted for trying to build a team that he can work with. That's sorta the whole point in being a coach and a GM.

He's only getting flack, because some of the players he's gotten rid of are considered to be good players, but let's sit back and give Chip a chance before predicting failure and chaos. Hell we could be witnessing someone who revolutionizes the game going against the considered "norm." Should be fun to watch.

• Upvote 1

First Chips system would be a bust in the NFL. Rookie season 10-6 and a top offense in the NFL. Several players also have career years (Desean Jackson and Lesean McCoy) Sophomore season, cuts Desean Jackson and our offense would fall apart. Goes 10-6 and more players have career years (Jeremy Maclin). We also had a top offense in the league with Mark Sanchez as our Qb.

At this point, I'm more then willing to give Chip the benefit of the doubt. He's moving on from star players and still getting top production out of offense with mediocre QBS. He has a vision and I'm patient to see him form it his way because his so way so far, despite giving away star players, is pumping out production.

This race thing is getting a little ridiculous. Yeah, he's getting rid of black players, but he's also drafting and signing black free agents. A lot of teams like RB's that run a certain way and a lot of teams like CB's that fit more in their coverage scheme. Some people are blasting him but don't forget that the guy is 20-12 in the NFL with no prior NFL experience and nothing but back up QB's.

I didn't think Boykin was claiming that Kelly was racist in the slightest and I think he came out today and said that was the case.

I do feel that he struggles with more established players due to them being in the league longer and he may feel they aren't buying into his system for which I feel if that's the case you only want players there that are all in.

You got to remember that there are a lot of guys who are regulars in the league that played under chip at Oregon and most are black.

He's not racist just prefers to mould imo.

• Upvote 1

I think that if by "grown men of our culture" he means black men, it's a load of shit and has no factual basis. Unless someone has proof that Chip is using racial slurs or showing some kind of racist behavior, I'm not buying it. He brought in Demarco Murray, who was banging his best friend's wife. That shows me Chip only cares about what the player does on the field and how he fits in the system, not what kind of person he is or how good his tan is.

The only coach I think prefers white players over black players is Bill Belichik.