Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

The Most Important Issue In Politics

The Trans Pacific Partnership is the most important issue in this election cycle. It MUST be stopped and any candidate who doesn't have a CLEAR stance against it should not be somebody you should even consider voting for. TPP makes NAFTA and other "free trade" agreements look like nothing and they've sent MILLIONS of jobs over seas in the past 60 or so years.

TPP not only goes after working people's jobs, but under TPP corporations can sue countries involved in the deal for laws that impede their expected future profits so if you don't like that fracking in your area is polluting the water and causing earth quakes where there is no fault lines...tough luck. Under TPP if you download something illegal off the internet you could face JAIL TIME because ISP's will be required to monitor your activity. Think prescription drugs are expensive now? Well Canada was already sued by Eli Lilly because they told them to go fuck themselves for jacking up the prices of the medicines too high. They won 500 Million dollars.

Essentially we're handing over the sovereignty of our country to multi national corporations. I don't think I need to tell you that's an incredibly bad idea.

Edited by seanbrock

Do we know this for sure? I thought the actual content of the TPP was kept completely secret (which obviously brings up its own set of issues).

Do we know this for sure? I thought the actual content of the TPP was kept completely secret (which obviously brings up its own set of issues).

You have a point because this bill has been kept so secret that a lot of congress members don't even really know what it's about. I don't think it's a big stretch though because it's kind of like sneaking SOPA and a lot of other things that our country has been trying to move towards for a while now and we already know with the Citizens United case breaking through that corporate money is flooding politics more than ever.

Equal Rights

Cutting into the deficit

Income inequality

Finding a way to force the 1% to actually pay their taxes

Finding away to eliminate the 1%

Formulating a minimum wage that isn't embarrassingly low

Upping pay for everybody so employers aren't allowed to take advantage of people

Eliminating the one percent just makes a new one percent... Unless you mean something different, in which case I think you've already covered that.

Equal Rights

Cutting into the deficit

Income inequality

Upping pay for everybody so employers aren't allowed to take advantage of people

All of these things will be impossible to achieve if TPP passes which is what makes it the most important issue in politics today.

• Upvote 1

Equal Rights

Cutting into the deficit

Income inequality

TPP is more important than any of those. By a long shot. TPP cannot be allowed to pass and the mere fact that the government doesn't want anyone to know about it is frightening.

Sean is correct on this one. It's also a fact that Canada was sued by a company because of what Sean said in the OP, and yes, they won.

"A law that affects their future profit margin" is seriously a phrase that is about to be written into law.

• Upvote 1