butta54

Why do YOU love football?

I'm not sure if there is anyway to structure this conversation. Just focusing on the NFL I guess, but feel free to bring up your favorite college team or the game in general.

I love football simply because it is a very complex sport with so many layers to it that can affect how your team performs especially when getting to the NFL level. Some will say HS is the most difficult (and it can be), but the NFL you are adding in the fact that players are grown men and sometimes older than the coach. So every level has it's issues.

Where else do you get such a chess match of lining up the formations and personnel.....the layers of psychology of trying to get players to execute to the highest level while avoid the pitfalls of a celebrity life.....to the evaluation and work of the draft and building a team through free agency. Just exciting TV all around.

But I guess at the heart of it. I love watching football and coaching it because it is such a hard sport that QUICKLY separates the men from the boys as you are forced to meet with failure and overcome it as quickly as it arrives or risk being completely defeated. It is a great sport and watching it as a fan is just your team representing your city as you represent them...displaying the personality of the people and giving the city a reason to rally around something.

SO many reasons....but what's yours?

Edited by Buttriots
  • Upvote 1

This song/video pretty much sums it up.

• Upvote 1

I like it because I like I'm a degenerate gambler. >_>

Excitement, hard hits. That's all i need. Lol

Because Bernard Pollard hit Tom Brady's knee one year and we got to see an entire season without that whiny ugg-wearing bitch boy back there.

:troll:

On a more serious note, I think the sheer difficulty of it is what makes me love the NFL so much. I particularly enjoy watching good cornerbacks like Sherman, Haden, Revis, Grimes, Harris Jr, and now Xavier Rhodes, because they might be the select group of people with the hardest job in the world.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Defense, Defense, and more Defense.

I don't care too much for offensive football whatsoever. I like low-scoring, chess match type games. Where one slip up on D could decide a game because the offense can't figure out what the hell is going on...where pressures are coming from, coverages, etc.

I hate how the NFL is more favorable to players on offense with penalties and such...makes the defenders job tougher than it already is, and to me those are the guys that should be getting the real money.

Offense knows what they're running and will generally do what they wish...it's the defenses that can reverse that line of thinking and dictate to how the offense plays...that are truly special and to me what makes football great.

• Upvote 1

Because Bernard Pollard hit Tom Brady's knee one year and we got to see an entire season without that whiny ugg-wearing bitch boy back there.

:troll:

On a more serious note, I think the sheer difficulty of it is what makes me love the NFL so much. I particularly enjoy watching good cornerbacks like Sherman, Haden, Revis, Grimes, Harris Jr, and now Xavier Rhodes, because they might be the select group of people with the hardest job in the world.

Agreed CBs have the hardest job in the NFL. Have to move backwards while some of the fastest athletes in the world run routes at full speed at you.

There is a very fine art to coverage with multiple aspects. Coaching DBs this year I have realized how hard it is to even teach these skills and how much CONFIDENCE plays into good DB performance.

Defense, Defense, and more Defense.

I don't care too much for offensive football whatsoever. I like low-scoring, chess match type games. Where one slip up on D could decide a game because the offense can't figure out what the hell is going on...where pressures are coming from, coverages, etc.

I hate how the NFL is more favorable to players on offense with penalties and such...makes the defenders job tougher than it already is, and to me those are the guys that should be getting the real money.

Offense knows what they're running and will generally do what they wish...it's the defenses that can reverse that line of thinking and dictate to how the offense plays...that are truly special and to me what makes football great.

I particularly hate when a defensive battle is going on the NFL and people are spouting off shit like "This isn't good defense, it's inept offense!"

No, it isn't. Sometimes people forget that these are professional athletes and that alone throws the idea of ineptitude out of the window. Yes, certain single individuals are truly inept at the NFL level (Ryan Lindley), but if it's a low scoring game, the high level of defensive play should be appreciated.

• Upvote 1

I particularly hate when a defensive battle is going on the NFL and people are spouting off shit like "This isn't good defense, it's inept offense!"

No, it isn't. Sometimes people forget that these are professional athletes and that alone throws the idea of ineptitude out of the window. Yes, certain single individuals are truly inept at the NFL level (Ryan Lindley), but if it's a low scoring game, the high level of defensive play should be appreciated.

I hate that too. Shootouts can be fun sometimes, but so can defensive struggles. It's awesome watching two teams with good defenses smack the shit out of each other, and it makes victory sweeter for the winning team.

One game I'll always have fond memories of was the second matchup between the Steelers and Ravens in 2010. Ben Roethlisberger had his nose broken; Heath Miller was damn near decapitated, and the game in general was full of bone-crushing hits, but a key play late in the game by Troy Polamalu swung the momentum, and a key play by Roethlisberger decided the game. The Steelers won 13-10, but it was a compelling game nonetheless, especially since the AFC North was on the line. I was on edge all game, but boy, did I sleep well that night! :)

Edited by DBR96A

There is nothing more boring than a game that ends based on who gets the ball last. Great defense=Unpredictability. That's exactly why the college game has lost a good bit of its appeal, especially at the FBS level with the exception of a handful of conferences (SEC, Big 10).

Edited by BwareDWare94

Phil nailed it.

Can't think of a better sport to sit around and watch with family. Especially on the holidays.

• Upvote 1

Because it's like chess with real people. Every game is an emotional roller coaster.