Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Colts @ Bills

By SCOTT GARBARINI
STATS Writer
(AP) -- Rex Ryan has vowed to build a bully in Buffalo. His first challenge is no pushover, however.
The colorful coach leads the Bills into their most anticipated season in years Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts, who enter 2015 with the highest expectations possible.
Ryan's unabashed optimism and larger-than-life persona has breathed new life into what has been one of the NFL's most moribund franchises over the past decade. He unsurprisingly expressed confidence during January's introductory press conference that the Bills' 15-year postseason drought - the NFL's longest active streak - would soon be over.
"I'm not going to let our fans down," he said. "I know it's been 15 years. Well, get ready. We're going."
Ryan has the track record to back up those boasts, having led the New York Jets to the AFC championship game in the first two seasons of an eventful six-year run that ended after last season. He's got something to build on as well after the 2014 Bills posted their first winning season since 1999, the last time Buffalo (9-7) made the playoffs.
"That's the expectation in here, upstairs and in town," defensive tackle Kyle Williams said. "When we go out on Sunday, we're not just going out there to compete, we're going out there to win."
Simply reaching the playoffs would be viewed a disappointment for Indianapolis (13-6) after it reached last season's AFC title game behind one of the most productive offenses in the league. Though a 45-7 loss to New England in the infamous "Deflategate" game showed there's still work to be done, the Colts believe they're ready to take another step forward in the fourth year of the Andrew Luck/Chuck Pagano regime.
"The inside expectations, and I've said this since Day One, they've always been high," Luck told the Colts' official website. "They've always been get to the playoffs and give yourself a chance to go win a Super Bowl. That hasn't changed."
Luck's emergence as a franchise quarterback has justified those championship aspirations. The 2012 No. 1 overall pick threw for a league-high 40 touchdowns and broke Peyton Manning's single-season team record with 4,761 passing yards in directing the third-ranked offense in the NFL.
Though receiver Reggie Wayne wasn't retained, two other accomplished veterans - running back Frank Gore (1,106 rushing yards, four touchdowns with San Francisco) and receiver Andre Johnson (85 catches, 936 yards, three TDs with Houston) - were brought in to join Luck and dynamic wideout T.Y. Hilton (82 catches, 1,345 yards, seven TDs) to join what could be an even more prolific attack than last year.
"I am just here to try and take full advantage of it," Johnson said. "That was a big part of my decision this offseason when I became a free agent, going to a place that had an established quarterback and a great quarterback."
Hilton, signed to a five-year, $65 million extension last month, is expected to play despite sustaining a concussion in the third preseason game.
The Bills will hang their hopes on a defense that Ryan has already proclaimed will be the league's best. The unit wasn't far off last year, topping the NFL with 54 sacks while finishing third in takeaways (30) and fourth in yards allowed (312.2 per game).
Ends Mario Williams and Jerry Hughes and All-Pro tackle Marcell Dareus recorded double-digit sack totals last season, though Dareus is suspended for the opener for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy. Starting cornerback Leodis McKelvin (ankle) was placed on the reserve/non-football injury list, meaning he will miss at least the first six weeks. Rookie Ronald Darby is likely to be tested in his place.
"I'm confident he'll do a good job for us," Ryan said of Darby.
Buffalo's LeSean McCoy (1,319 rushing yards, five touchdowns with Philadelphia in 2014) says he's "ready to go" after the marquee offseason addition missed nearly all of the preseason with a strained left hamstring. The 2013 NFL rushing champion will be counted on to ease the burden on Tyrod Taylor in the quarterback's first career start.
Taylor attempted only 35 passes in four seasons with Baltimore but beat out veteran Matt Cassel and former first-round pick E.J. Manuel with a solid preseason in which he rushed for 108 yards on 11 carries. Those scrambling skills should fit well in what's expected to be a run-based offense centered around McCoy and orchestrated by new coordinator Greg Roman, who coaxed four straight 1,000-yard seasons out of Gore in San Francisco.
The Colts were gashed for 177 rushing yards by New England in the AFC championship and will be starting a pair of rookies, Henry Anderson and David Parry, along the defensive line. They're hopeful that Robert Mathis, the NFL leader with 19 1/2 sacks in 2013, will return from a torn Achilles that sidelined him all last season.
"The media tells me I'm 34 and can't do it, that kind of does it for me," Mathis said.
The teams are meeting for the first time since the Colts won 20-13 at home in 2012. Indianapolis has taken seven of the past eight matchups but lost 30-7 in its last visit to Ralph Wilson Stadium in the 2010 season finale.

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

Edited by RazorStar

It'll be interesting to see what Rex has cooked up to keep Andrew Luck in check. The Colts got older on offense, but I don't imagine Gore and Andre are gonna look that slow week 1. I dunno if the Bills are gonna be good, but I expect this to be a tough fight.

:Colts: 20

:Bills: 23

• Upvote 1

:Colts: 24

:Bills: 19

There's an error: Since 1999 the Bills went 9-7 twice: 2014 and 2004, not once.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The Colts are a very overrated team and I don't believe in anyone on that offense besides Luck and TY..which could be enough, but that defense is a joke and in the long run it's going to fuck them in the ass.

Bills are going to come out firing on D and running amok all over that shitty front 7 Indy has. It'll be a slow, but consistent attack with large doses of Mccoy, read option, and the occasional play action to Clay or Harvin down the middle.

You don't want to be playing a game of catchup with Buffalo and their pass rushers...that's exactly what they want and I think that's what we're going to witness.

:Bills: 28

:Colts: 17

Surprised to see so many people picking Buffalo, but I think they just match up so well against the Colts. Andrew Luck is one of the best in the game but play a Rex Ryan defense with as much talent as he has at his disposal and being one dimensional is not a recipe for success.I don't think The Colts will have ANY success running the ball, but on the flip side, LeSean McCoy and Tyrod Taylor will eat them alive and Taylor's play makers will get their opportunity this week too. Bills will probably become hyped and slightly overrated after this game.

Bills 27-Colts 13

Colts OLB Robert Mathis (Achilles' is inactive for Week 1.

Mathis remains week to week. Also inactive for the Colts are CB Greg Toler, RB Vick Ballard, CB D'Joun Smith, OG Hugh Thornton, OG Denzelle Good and DL Billy Winn.

Bills RB Bryce Brown is inactive for Week 1 against the Dolphins.

There was speculation Brown could see a nice role in the Bills' backfield this week, but he remains buried deep on the depth chart. Brown could eventually earn his release. Karlos Williams is backing up LeSean McCoy against Miami.
Also inactive for the Bills are QB E.J. Manuel, WR Marquise Goodwin, LB Tony Steward, OG Gabe Ikard, TE Chris Gragg and DT Andre Fluellen.

The Bills know better than anyone how to shut down elite QBs... And even mediocre ones like Andrew Luck.

Sarge said it best in the shout box. Something like "TGP thinks that if you're not the best then you suck." If you actually think Andrew Luck sucks you're clowning yourself lol. He struggled week 1 against one of the most talented defenses in the league against arguably the best defensive mind in the game. Sometimes the Luck hype is overboard and yes it is annoying, but the guy has taken the Colts from the number 1 pick to the playoffs every year since his rookie year. How could a mediocre QB do that? Maybe if the Colts had an elite defense, but they don't. They have one of the worst in the league. Ok well maybe if they had a great running game and awesome receivers. They don't, they have decent receivers and an awful running game. People are fucking dumb sometimes lol

by being in a shitty division?

I don't mean to really make a dig at Luck, he's already one of the better QBs in the league and in all likelihood will be the best QB in the league at some point in his career, but aside from the Colts the AFC South has been worse than awful for the last three years (in all fairness, Houston has just been worse than awful at one position, unfortunately for them it's the most important position) so to say that standing on top of that shit pile somehow makes Luck a great QB feels like a logical breakdown of some sort

again, I'm not saying Luck isn't a great QB, I'm just saying find better facts to point to in making your point

Sean. You took the bait.. While Luck is in a crappy division, he has beaten perennial playoff teams. He has shown he can get down with any team in the league not named the Patriots.

Nobody said he sucks anyway. Sean is just arguing with himself. lol

Not sure he'd even really be in the Top 10. Pretty close call if he is. And if he isn't up there, Part of that would be if you still think Peyton is good enough to be up there, which I also don't think he would be. So it's pretty close.... I don't thin kit's that ridiculous of a statement. Slightly above average? Does that make you feel better? Eh. Semantics.

Not sure he'd even really be in the Top 10. Pretty close call if he is. And if he isn't up there, Part of that would be if you still think Peyton is good enough to be up there, which I also don't think he would be. So it's pretty close.... I don't thin kit's that ridiculous of a statement. Slightly above average? Does that make you feel better? Eh. Semantics.

So I'll give you

Rodgers

Brady

Ben

Romo

Rivers

Here's where you start to lose me (not really in order)

Peyton (maybe)

Wilson (highly debatable)

Stafford (no)

Ryan (no)

Flacco (I would say no but you could argue it)

Cam (He has his argument imo but I would say no)

Definitely Better:

Aaron Rodgers

Ben Roethlisberger
Tom Brady

Tony Romo
Phillip Rivers
Drew Brees

Guys in the Same Tier But Who I Take Over Luck

Matt Ryan
Cam Newton
Ryan Tannehill

Carson Palmer

A Good Start to This Season And He Might Be Over Luck Too

Teddy Bridgewater

He's majorly Declining and Looks Terrible But He Has To Fit In Somewhere, Right?

Peyton Manning

Total Wildcards. Maybe. Maybe Not.
Nick Foles -- If he looks even like a fraction of his self from a couple years ago (which he showed up as yesterday), I put him above Luck. But it's kind of a coin flip, so I won't make that jump yet.

Sam Bradford -- I know it was just pre season, but he tore up GB. If Bradford can stay healthy,, he has a shot too. He was steadily getting better and better and that Philly offense should help him as well. Nick Foles is above Bradford in that potential though, IMO.

The thing with Luck for me is that I don't think he is as good as he should be. Maybe that's not fair to him, because expectations were set so high.. But, it is what it is. I acknowledge that it is probably flawed logic, but I honestly feel disappointed watching him play sometimes.

He has the talent, but I don't know if he has it in the head to be truly elite in this league. I need him to complete more passes and throw less INT.. And he really needs to play better in close games. He really kills the Colts sometimes, but it's always easy sailing for him when they have the lead.Last year in the lead, he threw 64% completion and almost a 4:1 TD to INT ratio. Playing from behind... Sub 60% completion and a 1:1 TD: INT ratio.

Now.. to be COMPLETELY FAIR. I think you have to expect a bit of a drop off when the team is behind because defenses are going to be more aggressive and play you differently. But the drop off for Luck is significant.

He has the talent to be better. And he is still young, so maybe he still gets there... But right now, I don't really see it. He's still solid. He's a good player and you'd definitely take him over more than half the QBs in the league. He definitely isn't a McCown brother. But I think his fate is still wildly unset.

• Downvote 3

You know, the Bills do have a great defense and it was raining fairly hard yesterday at a crazy loud Ralph Wilson Stadium. Aaron Rodgers looked like trash in similar circumstances last year. I wouldn't be too quick to judge Luck as not a star quarterback.

I said earlier the Bills are great at shutting down elite QBs. It was mostly in reference to their outstanding job against Aaron. And my judgement of Luck is not simply about yesterdays game. Don't be pretentious. The Bills defense is great, but not great enough to completely alter my impression of a player based on one game.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Favre how can you have Brees as "definitely better" and therefore at worst #6 overall when just last week you were arguing he sucked and was nothing but a volume stat whore?

Luck is a top-10 QB in the NFL no question.

I really don't see much of an argument that he isn't in the top-5, tbh.

I'd take Rodgers, Big Ben, and Tom Brady over him and maybe Romo. That's it.

• Upvote 1

Favre how can you have Brees as "definitely better" and therefore at worst #6 overall when just last week you were arguing he sucked and was nothing but a volume stat whore?

Luck is a top-10 QB in the NFL no question.

I really don't see much of an argument that he isn't in the top-5, tbh.

I'd take Rodgers, Big Ben, and Tom Brady over him and maybe Romo. That's it.

Brees is a stat whore. Brees is declining. I'd still take him to lead my team over Gomer Pye. Notice my last post about Andrew Luck. A lot of his issues are the very similar to Brees. It's just that Brees has been doing it a lot longer with more success. He has to be above Luck, IMO.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Guys in the Same Tier But Who I Take Over Luck

Cam Newton

Ryan Tannehill

A Good Start to This Season And He Might Be Over Luck Too

Teddy Bridgewater

Total Wildcards. Maybe. Maybe Not.

Nick Foles -- If he looks even like a fraction of his self from a couple years ago (which he showed up as yesterday), I put him above Luck. But it's kind of a coin flip, so I won't make that jump yet.

Sam Bradford -- I know it was just pre season, but he tore up GB. If Bradford can stay healthy,, he has a shot too. He was steadily getting better and better and that Philly offense should help him as well. Nick Foles is above Bradford in that potential though, IMO.

YhCjWFZ.png

Edited by .AirMcNair.
  • Upvote 1