Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Cowboys @ Eagles

By TAYLOR BECHTOLD

STATS Writer

(AP) -- A workhorse running back while he was with the Dallas Cowboys last season, DeMarco Murray's limited action in his Philadelphia Eagles debut caught him off guard.

While coach Chip Kelly said it's a game-by-game situation, Murray hopes it doesn't happen again Sunday when he faces the visiting Cowboys, who are moving on without injured star receiver Dez Bryant.

"We'll see," the two-time Pro Bowler said. "We'll see what happens this weekend."

Murray finished with the 17th-most rushing yards in NFL history with 1,845 last season and tied for the seventh-most carries at 392 while leading Dallas to the NFC East title.

The Cowboys, however, chose not to match Philadelphia's offer of five years and $42 million during free agency. Though he would like to show Dallas that the decision was a mistake, Murray may not get many opportunities after being used sparingly in the opener.

The reigning Offensive Player of the Year carried eight times for nine yards and one touchdown in Monday's 26-24 loss at Atlanta. Darren Sproles matched him with 12 touches, while Ryan Mathews had six and was stuffed for no gain on a key third-and-1 in the fourth.

"It was a little surprising," Murray said. "But we have a lot of weapons. A lot of individuals need to get the ball. As long as we're winning, I'm fine with it."

Murray now looks to lead Philadelphia to its first win while denying Dallas a franchise record-tying 10th straight regular-season road victory. The last team to win 10 or more away games in a row was Indianapolis with an 11-game run from 2008-09.

The Cowboys were fourth in the NFC in rushing defense at 103.1 yards per game last season and held the New York Giants to 99 on Sunday.

They also limited Eli Manning to 193 passing yards in a thrilling 27-26 victory and held standout receiver Odell Beckham Jr. to five catches for 44 yards. However, they'll be without defensive end Randy Gregory after he went down with a sprained right ankle.

Sam Bradford looks to get off to a better start after leading the Eagles to one field goal in seven first-half possessions. He turned things around by going 21 for 25 in the last two quarters.

Jordan Matthews finished with a career-high 10 catches for 102 yards, but also had a pass go through his hands for an interception that sealed the defeat.

"You're always trying to do what moves the offense," Kelly said. "There are going to be times when we run the ball 60 times and times when we have to pass the ball 60 times. It depends on the game."

Dallas overcame a 10-point deficit with 8:01 remaining and went ahead when Tony Romo hit Jason Witten on an 11-yard touchdown pass with seven seconds left. It was the team's second fourth-quarter scoring drive after Bryant went down with a broken right foot.

The All-Pro receiver had surgery Monday and is expected to miss at least six weeks. Terrance Williams and Cole Beasley will likely take on more of a role with Bryant out, and the Cowboys traded this week for Brice Butler, a 2013 seventh-round pick by Oakland.

"There will be a receiver who plays in the place of Dez Bryant," coach Jason Garrett said. "You use different personnel groups and you just go play football."

Romo, who threw for 356 yards with three scores and two picks, has completed 61.9 percent of his attempts with 22 touchdowns and 15 interceptions while leading Dallas to nine wins in 15 career starts versus Philadelphia. He played well on the road in this series last season, going 22 of 31 for 265 yards and three TDs in a 38-27 win in Week 15.

He'll try to take advantage of a secondary that allowed Atlanta's Julio Jones and Roddy White to team for 225 receiving yards. The Eagles, though, did have a pair of interceptions against Matt Ryan and limited the Falcons to 3.0 yards per carry.

They'll try to do a similar job against Dallas' Joseph Randle and Darren McFadden, who combined for 81 yards on 22 carries in their first game as Murray's replacements.

The Cowboys have won three straight and five of their past six visits to Lincoln Financial Field.

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

I don't know why Murray would be surprised by anything Chip does. He has the money, that's all that matters.... Right?I don't know what to expect from either side. Tony Romo could be good... or not. Sam Bradford... could not. The Eagles secondary is still weak and can be exploited. Let's see if Romo and the Boys can do it.

Cowboys - 28

Eagles - 27

The biggest part of this game no one's talking about is the Eagles' pass rush (or lack thereof). If Romo has all day to sit in the pocket, he'll pick us apart, I don't care who his receivers are.

:Cowboys: 35

:Eagles: 31

Eagles have no pass rush, no guards, it's not a good mix...this game would be worse if Dallas had Dez

:Cowboys: 40

:Eagles: 21

I will be a super sad cunt if the Eagles don't win this game. I really fucking hate the Dallas Cowboys...in case anyone hadn't noticed lol.

Very anticipating game. After the heartbreak loss last week after going on a 21-6 scoring run in the 2nd half, this is a must win for us. I think Stevo hit the nail on the head. Despite not having Dez, if Romo has all day to throw, he will shred us. Our pass rush must come alive in this game for us to have a chance. It was nice to see Bradford coming out the half throwing 20/22, but we must establish a run in this game. Demarco is a volume carrier and we need to feed him the ball and I think we will. I also loved watching Sproles last week and hope he continues to play a larger roles in our offense. But I think we get the running game going and Bradford continues to be efficient.

:Eagles: 27

:Cowboys: 21

Edited by Dutch

Cowboys declared LG Ronald Leary, WR Dez Bryant, DE Randy Gregory, TE James Hanna, RB Christine Michael, DT Ken Bishop and DE Ryan Russell inactive for Week 2 against the Eagles.

La'El Collins will get the start at left guard. Devin Street is sliding into three-wide sets in Dez Bryant's absence, but isn't a viable fantasy option.

Eagles declared QB Stephen Morris, WR Seyi Ajirotutu, CB Denzel Rice, OL Julian Vandervelde, OT Dennis Kelly, LB Marcus Smith and DE Brandon Bair inactive for Week 2 against the Cowboys.

It's a quiet list for the Eagles, who enter Week 2 as one of the healthiest teams in the league.

We are terrible

Romo has beady little eyes

God I hate the cowboys

Edited by GA_Eagle
  • Upvote 1

Yay for turnover. I hope Romo is ok though.

Worst Eagles game in recent memory, and easily the worst of the Chip Kelly era. All of the naysayers who said Chip's controversial moves would backfire...well, they sure look good right now. Eagles are in serious trouble.

Guest Phailadelphia

Remember when Chip was a genius? kek

Anyway, that was the ugliest game ever that I can recall seeing.

Just like I said...this shit of Chip Kelly would crash and burn and destroy the Eagles for YEARS. This is only the beginning.

EDP is gonna have a heart-attack filming one of these post-game vids someday....

Summing up every Iggles fan during that game:

O8WGjPo.png

Then...

e8rO93S.png

Edited by theMileHighGuy

So, having reflected on last night's debacle, I have some to the conclusion that we're still fucked. :smug:

Ok seriously, I think we need to remember how much overhaul this roster got in the offseason. It shouldn't surprise anyone to see things not gelling immediately. Having said that, there are things that need to be cleaned up immediately, including and especially the offensive line. DeMarco Murray is touched as soon as he gets the ball, and he's three yards behind the line of scrimmage. Unacceptable. Fix that shit, Chip.

So, if all else fails, let's tank and get a high draft pick so we can grab Connor Cook. :yep:

One thing I will say is that You almost forget how good Sean Lee is because he's hurt so often. That dude is incredible.

One thing I will say is that You almost forget how good Sean Lee is because he's hurt so often. That dude is incredible.

Sure is. Not having any trouble playing 4-3 OLB, is he?

Sure is. Not having any trouble playing 4-3 OLB, is he?

I knew he wouldn't. His skill set is so well rounded he could play any of the 4-3 LB spots at the highest level. Some people might hesitate to say he could play SAM but I've seen him get off plenty off plenty of blocks and not just against our shitty offensive line and he'd blow by a lot of TE's and especially RT's with his explosiveness and instincts.