BLUE

Seahawks @ Packers

By SCOTT GARBARINI

STATS Writer
(AP) -- The Green Bay Packers have had eight months to think about a bitter loss to the Seattle Seahawks in the NFC Championship Game.

They've waited even longer to get the defending conference champs on their home turf.

The scene now shifts to Lambeau Field as the two powerhouses resume their budding rivalry with a prime-time Sunday night showdown that highlights Week 2.

Green Bay appeared well on its way to Super Bowl XLIX after owning a 19-7 lead over the Seahawks with under three minutes remaining in last season's NFC title game. But Seattle scored two late touchdowns, the last spurred by an onside kick that slipped through the hands of the Packers' Brandon Bostick, to force overtime and ultimately rallied for a thrilling 28-22 win on Russell Wilson's 35-yard touchdown pass to Jermaine Kearse.

It was the third straight painful defeat for the Packers at CenturyLink Field, the first a 14-12 loss in 2012 on Wilson's controversial "Fail Mary" heave to Golden Tate in the final seconds that prompted the NFL to settle its labor dispute with its regular game officials.

Green Bay is banking on a different outcome at Lambeau Field, where it went 9-0 including the playoffs last season and has beaten the Seahawks five straight times, the most recent a 48-10 rout in 2009.

The Packers, coming off a 31-23 season-opening win at Chicago behind reigning league MVP Aaron Rodgers' three touchdown passes, insist Sunday's rematch isn't about revenge.

"We're focusing on going 2-0, winning our first home game," coach Mike McCarthy stated. "Everything we're doing, we're focusing on winning this football game."

"It's pretty much past us," defensive back Micah Hyde added of the playoff loss. "It's a different team that we have (this season)."

Seattle won't be caught up in the hype either, as it has more pressing matters after its 34-31 overtime loss at St. Louis in Week 1. Among those concerns is shoring up a usually airtight pass defense that permitted a league-high eight plays of 20 or more yards to the Rams, including Lance Kendricks' 37-yard touchdown catch that forged a 31-all tie with 53 seconds left in regulation.

"It was a little bit of everything," coach Pete Carroll said. "They didn't get after us outside and deep on deep balls. They didn't get behind (safety) Earl (Thomas). They just got in-between us and around us and did a nice job with it. It's just how it happens."

Nick Foles threw for 297 yards against a secondary that won't have Pro Bowl safety Kam Chancellor for a second straight week due to his ongoing holdout.

The task won't be any easier this week, as Rodgers wasn't intercepted at home last season and averaged 294.4 yards with 28 TDs in the nine victories.

Rodgers did throw three interceptions and averaged a pedestrian 5.6 yards per attempt in two 2014 meetings with Seattle, the first a 36-16 Week 1 loss. Seattle also held Eddie Lacy to 3.2 yards per carry and won't have to deal with Jordy Nelson with the big-play wide receiver out with a torn ACL.

Nelson's absence wasn't felt against the Bears, though, with the re-acquired James Jones recording four catches for 51 yards and two touchdowns.

Green Bay will be without veteran right tackle Bryan Bulaga, however, after he injured his left knee in practice on Thursday. Bulaga, the team's first-round draft pick in 2010, sat out the entire 2013 season because of a torn ACL in the same left knee.

Another big issue for the Packers resides with a defense that was gashed for 189 rushing yards by Chicago and lost signal-caller Sam Barrington to a season-ending foot injury.

"We were in double-digits missed tackles. That does not cut it," McCarthy said.

Green Bay is expected to have safety Morgan Burnett, last season's leading tackler, back after missing last week with a calf injury. His addition will be welcomed as the Packers try to slow down Marshawn Lynch, who followed up a 110-yard, two-touchdown effort in last year's opener by rushing for 157 yards on 25 carries in the NFC Championship.

Wilson was able to overcome four interceptions in the conference title game but had another uneven performance last week, completing 32 of 41 throws for 251 yards with a touchdown and an interception while sacked six times. The offensive line also was beat on a game-ending 4th-and-1 play in which Lynch was stuffed for a loss.

"They won the line of scrimmage on that play and did a nice job attacking us," Carroll said. "We just weren't able to get the crease that we needed."

Jimmy Graham finished with six catches for 51 yards and a touchdown in his Seahawks debut and has been a matchup problem for Green Bay in the past, averaging 63.7 receiving yards and scoring two touchdowns in three meetings with New Orleans.

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

Aaron Rodgers is in the Michael Jordan phase of his career. The manner in which the Seahawks beat the Packers the last time will never happen again. Rodgers is home and I think he will be on fire. The Seahawks did different things in their secondary without Kam last week and they didn't look like the same secondary.

:Packers: 24

:Seahawks: 21

I still question whether last years comeback really even happened. This time around, I expect way fewer turnovers, maybe even none. I also would be surprised to see a low scoring game here. Rodgers is still inferior to Sherman, but the opposite side of the field and Randall Cobb out of the backfield should continue the trend of the defense allowing more than 20 pts. Randall ate pretty good against us in Seattle. I like our situations in both run O and run D more than theirs, just that whole Aaron Rodgers thing to deal with. However, seeing as this week we can pound, pound, pound the rock unlike last week against the best front 7, I think the balance of playmakers across the offense will develop and provide a clean run game.

:Seahawks: 31

:Packers: 21

Edited by BC
  • Downvote 3

If Nick Foles can torch Sherman's bum ass, you better believe Aaron Rodgers is going to. The Seahawks are pretty much straight trash. They will probably get the yardage.. Lynch will get his. Jimmy Graham will get his. But the scoreboard is going to tell a story of a one-sided can of whoop-ass opening bitch smacking beat down.

:Packers: 41
:Seahawks: 13

:mjlaugh: Bitter... F4E is 0-3 in predictions in our last 3 matchups. Surprise.

Edited by BC
  • Downvote 3

About what? We're 1 - 0. Seahawks are 0 - 1 and got the snot knocked out of them by Jeff Fisher. I'm good. lol

• Upvote 2

Both teams will be missing players that will hurt. Seahawks do not look the same without Chancellor and a recovering Thomas. Packers lose Bulaga and Barrington which will hurt but with this game in Lambeau this time around, Packers score a late TD to seal the deal.

:Packers: 27

:Seahawks: 17

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Rodgers is still inferior to Sherman,

q7nvr.jpg

• Upvote 1

Seahawks SLB Bruce Irvin (ribs) is active for Sunday night against the Packers.

Irvin was listed as questionable after a limited practice Friday. Tharold Simon (toe) is also active.
Seattle's inactives are WR B.J. Daniels, CB Tye Smith, FB Will Tukuafu, OG Mark Golowinski, LB Mike Morgan, OG Krisjan Sokoli, and DE David King.

Packers declared QB Brett Hundley, RT Bryan Bulaga, CB Quinten Rollins, CB LaDarius Gunter, RB Alonzo Harris, TE Kennard Backman, and DT Bruce Gaston inactive for Week 2 against Seattle.

With Hundley inactive, Scott Tolzien will back up Aaron Rodgers. Don Barclay starts in place of Bulaga.

I still question whether last years comeback really even happened. This time around, I expect way fewer turnovers, maybe even none. I also would be surprised to see a low scoring game here. Rodgers is still inferior to Sherman, but the opposite side of the field and Randall Cobb out of the backfield should continue the trend of the defense allowing more than 20 pts. Randall ate pretty good against us in Seattle. I like our situations in both run O and run D more than theirs, just that whole Aaron Rodgers thing to deal with. However, seeing as this week we can pound, pound, pound the rock unlike last week against the best front 7, I think the balance of playmakers across the offense will develop and provide a clean run game.

:Seahawks: 31

:Packers: 21

:mjlaugh:

• Upvote 2

Packers 2nd string RB > Marshawn Lynch

• Upvote 2

Coming out part for Jayrone Elliott ! Great to see. Offense struggled at times, but the big thing was the defense. Overall, GREAT play. Now if only they could do that every week.

This just in, Russell Wilson isn't that good, and neither are the Seahawks.

Secondary is weaker. Offensive line looks like a bunch of castoffs who went over to Europe to play back in the day. Marshawn Lynch can't even get to the LoS without getting hit. The receivers are still trash because Carroll and Bevell insist on starting Baldwin and Kearse when both would fight to make rosters on teams that actually have WRs.

This Seahawks team is completely unraveling.

Only thing better than beating the Seahawks was reading BC's post.

We played really well defensively, at least during the first half. We still have problems when Wilson wants to run it but I feel like as the game went on he wasn't as effective. Super impressed shutting down Lynch. Secondary still has problems though.

I've got no problems keeping Matthews and Palmer starting as ILB from here on out if Nick Perry plays like he did tonight. He wasn't straight balling out there but he was really effective and stuck to his assignment. In years past he always had major problems losing contain/getting sucked in by play action and giving them a huge play. Tonight he didn't really do that and was big in making sure Lynch wasn't breaking big runs. Same goes to Mike Neal but I think he left with injury?

Hope Eddie and whoever else are okay. And that one guy that left on a stretcher or whatever it was. Didn't hear anything more about him.

Pack beat us in the trenches. Were in it until the shovel pass, and game was intense/fun to watch. Good call PackersDynasty don't recall anyone ever being exact on the score prediction. Sherman comment was regarding up until that point, Aaron hadn't done what he accomplished tonight, not yet, but he sure did. GG.

We also really need to clean up penalties. A touchdown early in the game would have been awesome and changed everything. Penalties really killed some things, as did again calling an obvious Lynch run on 3rd & short. Can a brotha get a Wilson bootleg roll out? Stretch them out wide on those situations.

Edited by BC

Only thing better than beating the Seahawks was reading BC's post.

We played really well defensively, at least during the first half. We still have problems when Wilson wants to run it but I feel like as the game went on he wasn't as effective. Super impressed shutting down Lynch. Secondary still has problems though.

I've got no problems keeping Matthews and Palmer starting as ILB from here on out if Nick Perry plays like he did tonight. He wasn't straight balling out there but he was really effective and stuck to his assignment. In years past he always had major problems losing contain/getting sucked in by play action and giving them a huge play. Tonight he didn't really do that and was big in making sure Lynch wasn't breaking big runs. Same goes to Mike Neal but I think he left with injury?

Hope Eddie and whoever else are okay. And that one guy that left on a stretcher or whatever it was. Didn't hear anything more about him.

What kind of problems do you see with the secondary? I mean, we limited Russell to 200 yards and 37 of those went to RBs who the secondary isn't going to be responsible for. How good does the secondary need to be before you're okay with what they are doing? PD was shitting on Casey most of the night and i just... Don't get it.

Yes, every once in a while there will be a decent gain, but if the expectation is perfection and only giving up gains of 10 yards or less, you're in for a world of hurt. Ha. Dropped INTs are annoying though, I will give you that. If the secondary plays like that all year, I am totally fine. I think the pressure was very inconsistent too. Sometimes there was a push, more often there wasn't. So for the secondary to do what they did with a limited pass rush? No complaints from me really.

And ya, Nick Perry played decently tonight but Jayrone Elliott in limited snaps was a MONSTER. He needs more playing time moving forward.

Also, I must talk about how great our Oline is. Gave up two sacks and Aaron ran a bit... but damn. Those guys were creating massive holes in the run game.

And the ST coverage. EXCELLENT. Maybe the best I have seen them cover in years.

What kind of problems do you see with the secondary? I mean, we limited Russell to 200 yards and 37 of those went to RBs who the secondary isn't going to be responsible for. How good does the secondary need to be before you're okay with what they are doing? PD was shitting on Casey most of the night and i just... Don't get it.

Yes, every once in a while there will be a decent gain, but if the expectation is perfection and only giving up gains of 10 yards or less, you're in for a world of hurt. Ha. Dropped INTs are annoying though, I will give you that. If the secondary plays like that all year, I am totally fine. I think the pressure was very inconsistent too. Sometimes there was a push, more often there wasn't. So for the secondary to do what they did with a limited pass rush? No complaints from me really.

And ya, Nick Perry played decently tonight but Jayrone Elliott in limited snaps was a MONSTER. He needs more playing time moving forward.

Also, I must talk about how great our Oline is. Gave up two sacks and Aaron ran a bit... but damn. Those guys were creating massive holes in the run game.

And the ST coverage. EXCELLENT. Maybe the best I have seen them cover in years.

I was one of the people that thought Hayward would come out and have a big year but after just an average TC and being outplayed by the rooks, you gotta start wondering about him. Especially in a contract season, thats why I have been critical of Hayward.

It was Boyd that was carted off the field and they said it was an ankle injury.

The o-line is great besides Bakh. Has he played better than I thought he would? Yes, but he is easily the weakest link on that line.

Have to agree on ST coverage, great job containing Lockett and forcing the Seahawks to start behind the 20 on a lot of possessions.