Thanatos

Carolina Panthers 2015 Season Thread

:panthers: 33 :Cowboys: 14

11-0. Just a complete dominating performance by the defense. Offense left some points on the board and Cam knows it and isn't happy with it.

The special teams man. (I have to find something to pick on.)

We had one guy let the punt his leg, another guy had a punt miss him by a foot, and then we had a FG blocked. ST has been baaad the last few weeks. Really need to fix it. Something like a Brenton Bersin punt fumble is a HUGE momentum swing in a playoff game against an actual good team, (Cowboys are not), and could come back to hurt us.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

y'all remember Cam and Josh Norman going at it in training camp? :lol:

19ae68aad58b9c4868a8800e25002640_crop_no

This was before most of the nation even thought of Josh Norman too. Probably was just another guy to them at the time.

Special season.

• Upvote 2

That smile cracks me up every time. He's fighting with a teammate and grinning like a six year old.

Last unbeaten team in the NFL. :D

After Kelvin Benjamin went down I wonder what the odds were on that.

Also we signed Cortland Finnegan, I guess because Colin Jones sucks ass as a slot CB and is a safety. With Tillman hurt for a few games we need another corner to take over the nickel position so Bene can play the slot.

Edited by Thanatos19

:panthers: 41 :Saints: 38

12-0. Clutch drive after clutch drive by Newton and the offense after the defense sucked ass.

I think Zack said in the shoutbox that Newton was a terrible QB after the terrible offensive start and directly after he said that, Newton threw 15 straight completions, (franchise record), during 3 TD drives. It's like he heard him. :D

I'm warming up to the Cam Newton for MVP talk. His stats are beginning to back up what I already felt was the case.

Steve Smith said 3 years ago, in the best players of 2012 discussion, that Cam Newton would be the MVP in 3 years. And despite what anyone would have thought after Benji went down, it could actually happen.

If Carolina goes 16-0, regardless of whether or not he truly deserves it- and IMHO, the only other player that has an argument is Tom Brady- I think he will get it. If they lose a game or two, then it might get somewhat interesting.

On to the team.

The defense was, in a word, awful. Colin Jones has no business starting on this team. Charles Tillman may not be as good as he used to be, but he is a massive upgrade over Colin. Get well soon, Peanut.

Josh Norman appeared mortal for once. Hopefully whatever superhero he pretends to channel this week works better against Julio Jones.

I think this game just shows that the Panthers are going to get every team's best shot from here on out.

Also special teams. Eugh.

Yet another blocked kick and this one was a 3-point swing. We have got to make some changes, that shit will lose you games against good teams. Fortunately there are only other two other good teams in the NFC, but chances are we will face one or both of them in the playoffs.

Edited by Thanatos19

I think Zack said in the shoutbox that Newton was a terrible QB after the terrible offensive start and directly after he said that, Newton threw 15 straight completions, (franchise record), during 3 TD drives. It's like he heard him. :D

I spoke up when he missed a wide open Greg Olsen on the sideline by throwing the ball like 2 yards out of bounds. I needed his fantasy points and said something to the effect of, "Cam Newton is trash. MVP my ass."

Cam is good for a handful of those every game though, isn't he? NOt trying to rain on his parade or anything.. Accuracy has just never been his niche. As long as those aren't happening in the big moments, I don't think anyone really minds or notices ( and why should they? ) .When was the last time we had an MVP QB who couldn't even complete 60% of his passes? I could look it up, but I am at lunch at work and about to hop off. :D

Cam is good for a handful of those every game though, isn't he? NOt trying to rain on his parade or anything.. Accuracy has just never been his niche. As long as those aren't happening in the big moments, I don't think anyone really minds or notices ( and why should they? ) .When was the last time we had an MVP QB who couldn't even complete 60% of his passes? I could look it up, but I am at lunch at work and about to hop off. :D

You should know, he's in your username...

He has had a lot of drops, but yes, he still has accuracy issues. He seems to have a tendency to rocket the ball. It's not even close to every time anymore, but he definitely makes some pretty awful throws sometimes. What I've noticed is two things. One: He has a freaking cannon for an arm so it leads to (over)confidence that he can make throws off his back foot. And a lot of the time he can. But about 20% of the time he doesn't and it results in a very bad looking throw. Two: When he forces something, it is always a very hard throw. He doesn't miss ugly by floating something. And I'd far rather have the rocket missing because it's way harder to intercept.

However, when we get inside the redzone, everything seems to change. Newton hasn't turned the ball over once inside the 20 and has 26 total TDs. (19 passing, 7 rushing). He is more patient, more cautious, and just flat out better inside the opponent's 20. It's a huge reason why we average 30+ points but are ranked only 28th in passing offense. We capitalize on the opportunities we get and we rarely end up with nothing off a turnover by the defense.

He has noticeably improved in the area of missing wide open receivers and it's basically his only weakness. If he manages to eliminate it entirely... well. The NFC South is in trouble.

13-0 after utterly crushing the Falcons.

This team is going 16-0 if the G-men don't pull the upset next week.

One: He has a freaking cannon for an arm so it leads to (over)confidence that he can make throws off his back foot.

I noticed this today on that 74-yard TD pass to Ginn. I couldn't tell if the play was a fluke, or if he did that a lot. I could definitely tell that the ball wasn't as pretty as it could have been, as it looked like Ginn had to make a pretty hard catch (can't believe I'm saying that) to pull that one down, when it could have just been a simple catch with a proper throw.

tumblr_nzad1h2iC11qzhl6vo1_1280.jpg

No one stopping him now.

Welp, I think this is it. The New York Giants are unofficially the last team standing in the way of 16-0. Atlanta has given up, and I don't think Tampa has what it takes on the road.

If the G-men don't beat us on Sunday, we can go 16-0 if we want it.

And I think Rivera will go for it. He was on a Bears team that went 18-1 and regrets not being able to finish undefeated.

Welp. 14-0.

Dear god.

When the score is 35-7, it should never end 38-35.

Welp. 14-0.

Dear god.

When the score is 35-7, it should never end 38-35.

Well... Unless you're the '92-'93 Oilers.

Panthers almost lose to shit teams. The Cardinals DO lose to shit teams.

Arizona is not a better team.

There's no longer any question in my mind. Cam is MVP this year.

giphy.gif

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

Cam Newton is without a doubt the best quarterback in the NFL. No doubt about it anymor IMO. Now that he has put his entire arsenal together I'm not sure there is any defense that can stop the offense. You can't defend a guy the size of a lineman that can run like Jerome Bettis and pass like Dan Marino in his prime. Newton has been doing everything right. It's unbelievable how he's responded to the problems he had last season.

Panthers fans are going to be very lucky to be able to watch Cam for years. Very lucky.