Thanatos

Carolina Panthers 2015 Season Thread

PFF is dog shit.

Aaron Rodgers has been playing pretty mediocre to the standard we've seen him play, it's not really that outlandish.

I'm talking specifically about the Packers/Chiefs game. Where he threw five TDs. Where the score was 31-7 early in the 3rd quarter. For that particular game, here are his stats:

24/35 (69%), 333 yards, (9.5 YPA), 5 TDs, 0 INTs, and he added 2 carries for 16 yards.

If that is a negatively graded game, then my name is Aaron Rodgers and I make millions of dollars playing in the NFL.

PFF is dog shit.

For QBs, I think there are some fundamental flaws with their grading systems. Idk about any other position.

6-0 for the first time in Panthers franchise history!!!

GO :panthers:

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 2

:panthers: 27 :Eagles: 16

Defense continues to play very well. Minus a big Ryan Mathews TD run they were tremendous, only allowing six points off of three turnovers by the offense.

Mario Addison was hurt during the game and that will hurt our pass rush, but now that Jared Allen has settled in, we should be okay replacing him for the Colts game.

Cam threw three picks on Sunday. The Ted Ginn "pick" clearly wasn't his fault, even assuming Ginn wasn't down with the ball at the 1, as I think he was. Malcolm Jenkins made a fantastic play on the ball for #2, but I'm not even sure he caught that ball, and there was no review. The initial angle I looked at made me think it hit the ground, but it was a poor angle. Regardless, more a fantastic play than a bad throw. The third pick was high and hard to Devin Funchess. Funchess should have caught the ball, but Cam didn't need to throw a rocket there, he had Funchess wide open.

Cam made some great throws, but this performance looked more last year's with some shaky ones as well. The 3rd and 9 throw to Corey Brown in the endzone where it didn't even come close, for example. He played very up and down and not his best- and we still won. The win proves that we can against teams even without being at the top of our game.

The limping Colts are up next. I hope we annihilate them. Like 42-0.

68%, 8.2 YPA, 115 passer rating, 15:2 TD-Int. I will take that mediocre man on my team.

Ya, you don't know how goo dyou have it until your QB having a "bad" game or season is still better than 99.9% of the league. He definitely hasn't been quite the same this year. Teams are stacking the box against the run and playing super heavy man coverage. Our WRs are hurt and just can't separate. I don't know about now after the BYE, but before now our healthiest WR was 5th stringer Jeff Janis. Obviouisly Nelson is out. Cobb has his sprained shoulder. Davante Adams has missed a bunch of games with his bad ankle. Ty Montgomery now has a sprained ankle. And James Jones had a gimpy ankle for a while as well, per Aaron in some of his post game comments.

And to relate this back to the Panthers somehow.... I think the Panthers will be able to do all of that. Their defense will make us work. I am interested to see how we attack their offense though. Cam is playing great, but with... so few weapons... I want to see if the Packers can actually neutralize he and Greg Olsen (probably not). If Devin Funchess or Ted Ginn beats us, so be it. I don't want to see Greg Olsen streaking uncovered or Cam lowering his shoulder into a bunch of unsuspecting DBs. Something tells me that they are going to be able to score though. Matt Forte has gone off on us, Todd Gurley went off on us, Phillip Rivers went off on us.. But those teams all still struggled to put up points consistently and they all lost. I think the Panthers, somehow, will be able to do what those other teams couldn't -- and find a way to score. :yep:

ITT: Thanatos talks to himself about the Carolina Panthers. :kobe:

:( :( :( :(

• Upvote 1

Just curious Thanatos, the way the Panthers and espcially Cam is playing, you are well on your way to a third straight southern division title, what are your thoughts on Ron Rivera and Mike Shula?

I know you have been critical of them in the past and with good reason, but just wondering what your thoughts are on them during this run.

Just curious Thanatos, the way the Panthers and espcially Cam is playing, you are well on your way to a third straight southern division title, what are your thoughts on Ron Rivera and Mike Shula?

I know you have been critical of them in the past and with good reason, but just wondering what your thoughts are on them during this run.

Mike Shula is a complete and utter moron and is the worst offensive coordinator in the NFC. I want him gone. Gone gone gone.

Exhibit A: Leading 24-16, needing one first down to begin draining the Eagles timeouts, on a day when Jonathan Stewart has been running like a truck and Tolbert bounced off of four tacklers on his way to the endzone, on a 3rd and 2 with 3 minutes left in the game, Mike Shula calls a power I formation with a run straight up the gut... with Cameron Artis-Payne. Who hadn't touched the ball prior to that point. He's a fucking moron and he will likely prevent our offense from ever being truly good. Granted, this year it'd be hard to do well with it regardless of who you had as OC, but Shula is a complete moron. CAP is a shifty back. If you're gonna give it to CAP, which is dumb regardless in that situation, give it to him on a toss, give him some room to make people miss.

Rivera.... eh. He's middle of the road. He does some good things and some boneheaded ones. I'm okay with Ron. I'm not okay with Mike Shula constantly sabotaging us with idiotic playcalls.

Also the Falcons might have something to say about that "well on our way" thing.

Edited by Thanatos19

7-0, but dear god. We tried our best to give this one away.

Panthers are 8-0, have a clear path to the top seed in the NFC with a two-game lead on everyone and a three-game lead on the Pack and yet this team still hasn't even played a complete game yet.

This team has blown away my expectations for this season.

There was a great article I read comparing the Panthers and losing KB to the Packers and losing Nelson and detailing how much better we were compensating for losing our #1 WR.

I don't know if this team can make a legit Super Bowl run with our current WR corps, but if Funchess starts to improve off the performance he had against Green Bay, this team can beat anyone in the league.

8-0 feels good man.

smilincam.0.gif

Edited by Thanatos19

Panthers don't have much of a shot when it comes playoff time. They take their foot off the pedal, allow teams worse than them to remain competitive. It's been a great start obviously. One not to be complained about. What more can you ask for? But.. Playoff time will not be kind to Carolina, unfortunately.

Panthers don't have much of a shot when it comes playoff time. They take their foot off the pedal, allow teams worse than them to remain competitive. It's been a great start obviously. One not to be complained about. What more can you ask for? But.. Playoff time will not be kind to Carolina, unfortunately.

Lmao. We're an 8-0 team that hasn't yet played a complete game and you assume that will always be the case. We aren't taking our foot off the pedal, (we were still throwing the ball after going up 37-14), our lack of depth is causing players to become gassed. If Josh Norman does't mistime his jump by a split second, no one is even talking, because we would have got the ball back with 4 minutes left up 37-22.

The Panthers have flaws, yes, but one of those might be fixed come playoff time with the return of Charles Johnson from short-term IR. We've won a lot of games ugly, and our penchant for letting teams back in the game late is definitely something that needs fixing. To act like its unfixable and thus the Panthers have no shot in the playoffs is stupid.

Honestly, Favre: An 8-0 team that has the inside track on HFA "doesn't have much of a shot come playoff time?" Puhlease. We ain't a lock, of course, Cards, Packers, perhaps the Seahawks are all good teams that can beat us, but to give the #1 seed "not much of a shot" is quite silly.

The year Seattle won the Superbowl, they nearly let several bad teams beat them. One of those teams was a Tampa Bay squad that I believe went 4-12.

If the Panthers don't have much of a shot, who does? The Cardinals? Sure, they don't just almost lose to worse teams, they DO lose to worse teams, (Landry Jones-led Steelers, the Rams). The Pack? Why would the Pack have more of a shot than the team they just lost to and will have to play at their home again barring a major collapse? The Seahawks, who let the Romo-less Cowboys hang around and only beat them 13-12 and haven't beaten anyone good? To write off the 8-0 Panthers because they let some teams hang around- but still step up in crunch time when they have to win the game- is completely asinine. It seems by your logic a team has a better shot if they actually had folded and lost the game.

There is no flawless NFC team at the halfway mark, so to act like the Cards, Packers, or Seahawks are going to come into BoA and easily beat the Panthers is just plain dumb.

Edited by Thanatos19

@ATL: I did leave out the Vikings, but only because I was just listing teams that Favre could possibly think had better chances than the Panthers. The Vikes certainly have a shot, but they have murderer's row coming up in the next few games and I still think the Pack win the North, which means the Vikings have to go on the road. Tough to do.

These guys are awesome. You don't have to know Spanish to get most of what they're saying lol.

http://blackandbluereview.com/best-spanish-radio-calls-panthers/

Edited by Thanatos19

9-0 after finally closing out a win, albeit over the Titans.

Washington is up next and they just dropped 47 points on the Saints. Of course, it was the Saints. Still, we cannot overlook this club and I don't think we will at this point.

10-0 after Cam lit up the Redskins for five TDs and the defense force five turnovers. And yet, it still feels like people are just assuming we somehow have fluked our way to 13 straight (regular season) wins. We aren't the favorites to win the NFC, or so it seems.

15-1 over the last sixteen games and the Panthers historically play better in December under Ron Rivera than any other month. They have the second best record in the league in December since he started coaching, (NE is first).

With Atlanta's loss, we have a four-game lead on the NFC South. Arizona is the only challenger for homefield advantage after the Vikings went down in flames against the Packers.

A small confession here. I don't want to go 16-0. I don't want this team having the added pressure of being an undefeated squad going into the playoffs.

Trouble is, I don't know who we're going to lose to. A desperate Dallas squad on Thanksgiving might be the best chance we have of dropping one.

Props to the Panthers for completely out performing expectations. Cam has been absolutely fucking great. That O-line is finally playing decent. Norman is playing like a top 3 CB. The defense as a whole is doing damn good. On paper this team should be 6-4 or 7-3 at best. Instead it's been dominating every single opponent it's faced. Congrats Thanatos, your panthers are proving themselves the best team in the NFC. :yep:

Cardinals say hello.

Cardinals lost to the fucking Steelers with Landry Jones and the Rams with Nick Foles.

Panthers > Cardinals.

I keep waiting for the Panthers to hit a wall but its not happening. Hopefully that success carries over to the playoffs unless the Bucs make it :shifty:

The Panthers have a better defense than the Cardinals right now. It's neck and neck but if it were a head-to-head game I'd take the Panthers. They've held on against every tough team they have played. The Cardinals fell apart to Landry Jones.

I would agree.

The Cardinals, however, have the better passing offense, we have the better rush offense. I think it would be a great game.