FartWaffles

Panthers trade for Bears DE Jared Allen

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2837/jared-allen

Panthers acquired DE Jared Allen from the Bears in exchange for a conditional draft pick.

Allen's 134 career sacks lead all active players, but he's seen his play go off a cliff the past two seasons. The fact that he's been acquired for a conditional pick suggests the Panthers could still end up releasing him. The 33 year old will rotate in as a situational pass rusher for a defense that has seven sacks through its first three games.

There's not anyone else they could've gotten?

Like, anyone? Anyone at all?

I think this move can make the Panthers slightly better. Allen is far from his prime but considering they only gave up a conditional draft pick, I wouldn't consider it a bad move. The reward has potential but moves for old players like this is usually for teams that may need that extra edge to get over the hump and I don't see this move helping the Panthers be a serious legitimate contending team. However, considering the injuries they have suffered and the fact that they are 3-0, this move can definitely contribute to helping their team win in a weak division. I hope it works out.

Edited by Dutch

I like this a lot. Charles Johnson being hurt for who knows how long means we have no pass rush at all. Whatever Jared Allen has left in the tank is probably better than what we have now.

Allen is at a point in his career where he doesn't pose a huge threat as a pass rusher anymore. He can still deliver on occasion, but he is so wildly inconsistent that it's almost not worth having him out there. He will absolutely go off like 2 a year and just kinda wallow in border line mediocrity the rest of the time.

Maybe the trade will get him fired up and motivate him though? Who knows... I hate the guy, so I don't really care. lol

Panthers are going to move him back to RE in the 4-3 and shift Kony Ealy inside to play in a rotation with Short, with Star on the other side and then Charles Johnson when he gets back.

It's worth the conditional pick, in my mind, so long as its no higher than a 5th rounder.

It's a straight 6th.

Oh? It was reported as a conditional pick. 6th rounder is fine to me.

Yeah I think Jared Allen could be an effective rotational pass rusher if used right.

LMAO.

Yall can say what you want about this guy, I like him.

So long, Jared.

In related news, Carolina now has $31 million in cap space. :D

A classy player with an excellent underrated career. He might have started his career a chief, but respect to him, he was one of the most dominant pass rushers in this league for a good period of time. I wouldn't say I'd miss him, but he was a good guy who played the game right.

• Upvote 1

It was all downhill after leaving Kansas city. He's one of those cases that you just wonder what would have happened if he wasn't such an asshole. I can't believe the Vikings gave up so much for him initially. insane.

Where are you getting that he's an asshole? I know next to nothing about him before he came to Carolina, just curious if its just a Bears/Vikings/Packers thing or if he did something on/off the field to make you think that.

He's an egotistical douchebag that plays just as dirty. His ridiculous "block" against the Bears some years ago comes to mind, as does his low hit at the knees on Matt Schaub. Dude is disgusting.

I wouldn't consider him an asshole. I'd just consider him a douchey ego type. His style..his celebrations the way he carries himself on the field. I've never really liked him..but I haven't had a reason to say oh he's a POS because of this or that for any reason.

F4E is just shook because Allen didn't come to GB and they were stuck with Peppers.

• Downvote 1

I wouldn't consider him an asshole. I'd just consider him a douchey ego type. His style..his celebrations the way he carries himself on the field. I've never really liked him..but I haven't had a reason to say oh he's a POS because of this or that for any reason.

F4E is just shook because Allen didn't come to GB and they were stuck with Peppers.

"stuck" with the better player? Woe, is me. I am glad his rodeo, cow wrangling days are behind him. I will lasso that mother fucker and drop him in a river.

"stuck" with the better player? Woe, is me. I am glad his rodeo, cow wrangling days are behind him. I will lasso that mother fucker and drop him in a river.

You have much hatred for a player that is inferior to the one you got...

You should check yourself.

Seemed like a cool guy to me from his time in Carolina at least.

Should be the NFL record holder for single season sacks, too.