oochymp

2015-2016 NHL Season

TORONTO -- Calgary Flames defenseman Dennis Wideman has been suspended 20 games for his hit on linesman Don Henderson in last week's home loss to Nashville.
Wideman will forfeit $564,516.20 with the suspension, money that will go to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.
Wideman, who had been suspended indefinitely before the All-Star break, met with NHL officials in Toronto on Tuesday at an appeal hearing that lasted 90 minutes. Henderson was also in the hearing, a source confirmed.

here's the hit if anyone hasn't seen it:

he says it was inadvertent, and while I'm not sure that's the right word I get what he's saying, he'd just taken a big hit and was headed to his bench, I could understand him not really paying attention until the ref's right in front of him (and looking the other way, toward the puck) and it's not like this is someone with a bad history, but the bottom line is you can't hit a ref, the league had to send that message and I think they did

holy crap that was an intense finish to Caps/Isles, beautiful goal from Ovi with two minutes and change left, then Carlson takes a delay of game penalty (still don't understand why that's a minor penalty) and NY pulls Halak to get almost the full two minutes in 6 on 4, some great play by Holtby is the only reason we held on

crazy how tight things are in the East after the Caps and Panthers

Edited by oochymp

Minny & Smashville keep losing so we gotta secure these two points tonight.

I don't see any gray area in that Wideman incident. It's obvious that he meant to do that and it's obvious why he did it. Fuck off

I don't see any gray area in that Wideman incident. It's obvious that he meant to do that and it's obvious why he did it. Fuck off

:huh: what motivation did he have to clean out the ref? protesting the no-call on the hit? that's not how players even the score for that, they do that by going after the guy who hit them. The way I'm seeing the hit, it looks like there's a pretty clear "oh shit" moment right before contact where he slides back out towards center ice. It almost looks like he's initially trying to slide between the ref and the boards but at the last second realizes that's not gonna happen, extending the arms feels unnecessary, but could be reflexive. But, even if it wasn't intentional I don't have a problem with the 20 game suspension, hitting a ref under any circumstances is something you can't take lightly.

Yeah he was angry he did not get a call on that hit. The ref was dead center in his line of sight.

Yeah he was angry he did not get a call on that hit. The ref was dead center in his line of sight.

right after he'd had his head smashed into the board, I think there's a legit question of how good his line of sight was at that moment

and there's this:

Expert weighs in on Dennis Wideman's hit, concussion

“There are obviously some immediate effects,” Jacob Sosnoff, an associate professor University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign who has studied concussions, told USA TODAY Sports. “One of the things you can lose is impulse control, which is the ability to stop your actions. We know that is impacted by traumatic brain injury.”

While much of the focus academically and in the news media has been on the long-term effects of concussions that can lead to chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), short-term effects have also been researched.
A 2007 study in the Journal of Neurotrauma showed those with mild traumatic brain injuries had diminished impulse control. A 2009 study that ran in the journal Neuropsychologia showed those diagnosed with a concussion had diminished cognitive control — and the cognitive control was worse if the subject studied had a history of concussions.
“It’s within the realm of possibility that you can sustain a concussion and not be able to control your actions,” Sosnoff said.

Edited by oochymp

Ok, but he had enough going on to know to get back to the bench? You can also lose impulse control when you're angry. I know from experience. Not buying it.

Ok, but he had enough going on to know to get back to the bench?

I have a feeling most players can get back to the bench just on muscle memory

Flyers hanging around :smug:

oochy, you looking forward to Philly/Wash on Super Bowl Sunday?

Flyers hanging around :smug:

oochy, you looking forward to Philly/Wash on Super Bowl Sunday?

oh yeah, it's always fun to watch the Caps beat Philly

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

great game by both sides, I like seeing us have to fight through close games, it should serve us well come playoff time, and Holtby is still a beast

Garbage Avs :mjtears:

At least the Wild are sucking :megusta:

the Capitals are apparently the first team in NHL history to win 39 of their first 52 games, which puts us on pace for 61.5 wins, the NHL record is 62, our 82 points puts us on pace for 129.3 points, the NHL record is 132, and Holtby has 34 of those wins, putting him on pace for 53.6 wins, the nhl record is 48, like I said earlier:

it's a good thing DC sports teams never fade down the stretch, oh wait

I am definitely enjoying this, I hope we break our playoff futility, but even if we don't I'm enjoying this season for as long as it lasts

Probably good Colorado is on the road tonight. Maybe score a few goals and defend, yeah?

the NHL needs to figure out the goalie interference rule, it's worse than the NFL's catch rule right now

Mrazek is so good ugh, can Jimmy Howard start please?

What are the odds of a Panthers/Flyers playoff series? That's my greatest hope at this point.

Mike Yeo better start screaming at the players during practice again.

Mike Yeo better start screaming at the players during practice again.

Or better yet find a job.

Or better yet find a job.

Lol

Alright, football season is over, and now its time to join the hockey people in a sport I know far far less about.

Still, GO CAPS!

Looking very good so far. Hope I don't jinx it lol.

Looking very good so far. Hope I don't jinx it lol.

Well if you're rooting for them, they'll just end up going on a tear only to lose in the Stanley Cup Final. :smug: