butta54

Impact of Spread Systems On Pro Prospects.

So this is a discussion that has heated up recently mainly around QBs. However, I want to look at how this system is affecting Offensive Tackles as well as Quarterbacks.

Looking at the past five drafts (not including 2015) we can pick out some high profile Tackles & QBs from the first two rounds that played in exclusive spread systems:

-Greg Robinson, Auburn

-Blake Bortles, Central Flordia

-Jake Matthews, Texas A&M

-Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M

-Derek Carr, Fresno State

-Jack Mewhort, Ohio State

-Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M

-Eric Fisher, Central Michigan

-EJ Manuel, Florida State

-Menelik Watson, Florida State

-Geno Smith, West Virginia

-Robert Griffin III, Baylor

-Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M

-Mitchell Schwartz, Cal

-Jeff Allen, Illinois

-Mike Adams, Ohio State

-Cam Newton, Auburn

-Jake Locker, Washington

-Blaine Gabbert, Mizzou*

-Christian Ponder, Florida State*

-Derek Sherrod, Miss State*

-Andy Dalton, TCU

-Colin Kaepernick, Nevada-Reno

-Marcus Gilbert, Flordia

-Sam Bradford, Oklahoma*

-Russell Okung, Oklahoma State

-Tim Tebow, Florida*

-Rodger Saffold, Indiana

A * denotes a player no longer on their original team.

A small sample size but a nice snapshot in which we can look at the type of players these prospects became. And while we know the term "spread" can be defined differently with systems having other elements, but each player played in a system with dominant spread principles.

There has been a number of discussions, articles, and breakdowns of how the spread system is hurting the crop of QBs coming into the league. The obvious reasons include lack of reps reading coverage, and a majority of passes relying on YAC yardage resulting in starting QBs without NFL caliber arm strength or accuracy.

Earlier today I thought we should maybe start pushing this conversation towards the OL and the Tackles more specifically. With the number of highly touted prospects not performing the way everyone expected I felt it made sense to wonder if the systems are affecting more than just the signal callers.

Basic thought process is:

-Tackles in spread offenses will run primarily zone or perimeter plays which requires linemen with leaner bodies built more for mobility, not power.

-With those run schemes linemen are often in a two-point stance and not taught to necessarily "fire off" the ball as much as to get lateral and to a spot. This results in lack of reps "drive" blocking players and moving them backwards.

-Number one priority of spread systems is quick hitting plays...get the ball out quick. This results in linemen not having to hold pass protection for the typical 5-step and 7-step routes. The protection schemes are a lot more simplistic as the reads are for QBs. The pro style level protection schemes and techniques aren't being as widely taught as they once were.

These are all thoughts to get the discussion going. Of course there are many factors that go into how a player translates to the pros. But what do you think? Are the spread systems hurting our future QBs and Tackles?

I think it makes it much more difficult to accurately evaluate talent. When I look at a player I only think about the traits, not the scheme. This can work very well for certain players (Mariota looking good for this), but with other players it can be a complete mess down the road. If a QB can't transfer their game to the NFL on a mental level, you're fucked if you take them as a high 1st rounder. If I were a coach I'd look as much as possible to interview and test the different QBs before the draft on their ability to learn and adapt to a pro scheme. Do you know how to read the coverages? Do you know how to drop back correctly? Are your mechanics clean? I think we are going to revert back to ground and pound offenses in the near future due to the lack of franchise QBs coming out of college. At the least we'll have more guys coming in and not playing for 2-3 years as they learn the NFL game.

Spread systems are ruining college football. Remember when we were kids when there was this snobby opinion that college football was better than the NFL? That's completely gone. You no longer hear it, because the quality of the game has dissipated to an extreme extent. Systems like Baylor's in particular are ruining the game and sending players to the NFL unready and raw. It's a fucking joke.

IMO the spread systems have 100% hurt the QB position. I know there are still some who believe that we can't conclude that yet, but to me there is no question.

As always the individual player will be the most important factor....for example you have someone like Mariota who was in a spread system, but after knowing the player you believe he has the capacity to adapt. But point being that the opportunity for reps and practice at a pro system that are being wasted over the years cause these players to miss a chance at coming in with a very strong foundation.

I just recently started feeling like the OL might be affected. I haven't made my mind up on that one yet, but it is far more interesting to me.

But we can conclude that, butta, because a lot of spread systems, particularly Baylor's, tell the quarterback what to do from the sideline. Where the throw the ball and everything. Bryce Petty put up gaudy numbers at Baylor but never learned how to read defenses and go through progressions. He had to learn all of that from the Jets.

I think this is why a lot of dual threat QBs just fall flat in the NFL. They just get thrown into spread systems in college where they can exploit their speed and athleticism on the edges and then throw a few throws to speedy receivers. That system would work, but in the NFL you're facing the top-tier defensive talent that is quick enough or physical enough to cover the speed and dominate the edges. Imagine someone with RG3's physical gifts but being able to read a defense and operate an offense from the pocket.

I've been watching highlight tapes for incoming QB recruits, and some of it is telling. You see some of them just look at a single read, throw the ball, or run if that read is covered. You see others hold in the pocket, escape pressure, keep their eyes down field, and then make plays with their arm. I think dual threat is a huge benefit for the offense, but not when it's exploited. It should be a last ditch option or a change of pace type of thing to keep the defense honest. I'd rather have my incoming QB be trained in a pro-style offense than having his production spoon-fed by an offensive system.

Edited by OSUViking

I think this is why a lot of dual threat QBs just fall flat in the NFL. They just get thrown into spread systems in college where they can exploit their speed and athleticism on the edges and then throw a few throws to speedy receivers. That system would work, but in the NFL you're facing the top-tier defensive talent that is quick enough or physical enough to cover the speed and dominate the edges. Imagine someone with RG3's physical gifts but being able to read a defense and operate an offense from the pocket.

I've been watching highlight tapes for incoming QB recruits, and some of it is telling. You see some of them just look at a single read, throw the ball, or run if that read is covered. You see others hold in the pocket, escape pressure, keep their eyes down field, and then make plays with their arm. I think dual threat is a huge benefit for the offense, but not when it's exploited. It should be a last ditch option or a change of pace type of thing to keep the defense honest. I'd rather have my incoming QB be trained in a pro-style offense than having his production spoon-fed by an offensive system.

And this is exactly why Carson Wentz has scouts salivating and is right now being projected as a second rounder from an FCS school.