Sign in to follow this  
CampinWithaMissingPerson

Scientists can't explain what's orbiting a distant star

Holy shit.

This could turn out to be nothing, but this is just evidence that we are going to see some incredible things over the course of our lifetime. Can't wait for the James Webb telescope to start up. Gonna be able to see to the edge of the universe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Webb_Space_Telescope

Fucking cool.

• Upvote 1

I do not want alien contact. Fuck that. What good could possibly come from that? They're not gonna share their technology with us, they'll wipe us out and colonize our planet. There's probably wars being fought right now between aliens we don't even know about.

Edited by BradyFan81
  • Upvote 2

I see where you're coming from. We could also be exposed to disease that would wipe us out even if they do come in peace. It's crazy to think how advanced they would be if they're even still around themselves.

:panic:

I do not want alien contact. Fuck that. What good could possibly come from that? They're not gonna share their technology with us, they'll wipe us out and colonize our planet. There's probably wars being fought right now between aliens we don't even know about.

If they're already building structures the size of our star or even bigger? Yeah, we'd be fucked. :lol: But I mean, by now they've had to of seen us too if they're there given they can build some shit like that right?

NsGSM8M.png?1

EDIT: Or maybe not because we're too stupid to extend upon our own planet in terms of building shit (that we know of atleast :shifty: ) so there's nothing for them to pick up from long distance in terms of our star's light changing like theirs is for us to spot them.

Edited by CampinWithCripplingFailure
  • Upvote 1

Remember they're 1500 light years away, so unless they can see at faster than the speed of light, right now they'd be seeing right around the time of the middle ages.

what.

Light years is actually a measure of distance of...

ok I'm laughing and i can't stop.

This. We're not even civil enough to not fight among our own race. What do you think aliens with superior technology would be doing?

Literally when I read this article, I was imagining the Covenant fighting the Flood or like Star Wars actually happening or something. It'd be fucking terrifying if all the sudden we just detected a massive armada of space ships heading for us.

Remember they're 1500 light years away, so unless they can see at faster than the speed of light, right now they'd be seeing right around the time of the middle ages.

Plus, it'd take them thousands of years to get year assuming they can even move over 15% the speed of light, which IIRC isn't something we're even close to? I'd imagine it would take these ships thousands if not hundreds of thousands of years to realistically traverse the distance. Plus, like what Razor said, us seeing that blip of the star's brightness happened thousands of years ago. It's entirely possible that even if there is a civilization out there, it's completely gone at this point.

If aliens come to Earth, I'm calling Gandalf. They will never pass through our atmosphere.

I imagine it would go something like this:

Edited by Favre4Ever

Plus, it'd take them thousands of years to get year assuming they can even move over 15% the speed of light, which IIRC isn't something we're even close to? I'd imagine it would take these ships thousands if not hundreds of thousands of years to realistically traverse the distance. Plus, like what Razor said, us seeing that blip of the star's brightness happened thousands of years ago. It's entirely possible that even if there is a civilization out there, it's completely gone at this point.

Worm holes.

Worm holes.

As much as I wish those were a thing (and I tend to think they are), the likelihood that they find a wormhole large enough to travel something this big through + stable enough to travel through for more than seconds at a time is unlikely. I've read a bunch of stuff on wormholes, and the biggest problem is simply making and sustaining them. Unless they have some type of matter (it's hypothesized that lots of negative matter could do), I don't think they'd be arriving any time soon.

Yeah, well can scientists explain why tides go in and out?

If I can believe in aliens, I have no problem believing they can see whatever they want, or travel faster than the speeds we can comprehend.

• Upvote 1

If I can believe in aliens, I have no problem believing they can see whatever they want, or travel faster than the speeds we can comprehend.

They could be at a stage where they can travel close to the speed of light. I can't comprehend how, but physics has proved itself wrong before. I don't think you can see anything faster than light permits. It moves at a constant velocity in a vacuum, so it still takes those particles 1,500 years from our frame of reference for that light to travel. Could take longer or shorter based on their own position and trajectory.

As much as I wish those were a thing (and I tend to think they are), the likelihood that they find a wormhole large enough to travel something this big through + stable enough to travel through for more than seconds at a time is unlikely. I've read a bunch of stuff on wormholes, and the biggest problem is simply making and sustaining them. Unless they have some type of matter (it's hypothesized that lots of negative matter could do), I don't think they'd be arriving any time soon.

Just looking at Moore's Law and how fast technology has progressed in the last 100 years I have no fucking clue what could be 25,50, 100 years from now.