Sign in to follow this  
butta54

College Football Playoff Rankings

Factoring in OSU being defending champs.

Factoring in Bama's caliber of players and Saban as a coach.

Factoring in big time player injuries.

All that stuff is what I like about the committee over a computer. I like having that human element that can look at all the factors. If we just wanted to look at record and who won by the most points then we would have a generic list of teams for real. There is 0 chance of a non-power conference team to make it with a computer....at least with this committee there is a chance to impress them and get in.

I don't like OSU being in because of being the defending national champions. We really haven't earned it yet, but our schedule will face two straight top 15 opponents and what I would assume will be a Top 8 Iowa. That will be plenty to get in if we win out. However, neither being defending champs nor potentially winning out are enough RIGHT NOW.

Bama had done nothing to justify being put in there right now. Again, I'll admit Bama is playing like the best team right now. But two weeks ago, what had they done? They didn't have a great win; all of their good wins in hindsight came over pretty average or subaverage teams. Again, potential is not enough to justify putting them in. At the time, Bama had a worse loss than a team like Notre Dame and really didn't have a good enough win to justify putting them in over them.

I don't think a Group of 5 will ever get in.

EDIT: That's shortsighted of me to say. A Group of 5 could get in if they schedule some big name Power Five teams and smoke them.

Edited by OSUViking

Maybe it's a personal thing but I'd rather see an undefeated Memphis-like team over a team that loses a game or two but plays in a tough conference. I find it more entertaining to see a team that's a bit of an upstart over the same 5-10 teams every year. It should start happening when we finally switch to an 8-team playoff which is good. :yep:

8 to 10 teams is what I would consider a real playoff by college football standards... This thing they have right now is really not what some people/media make it out to be.

They put teams in there that maybe didn't have the championship resume at that time, site, but there's nothing wrong with that. If bama would have lost to LSU, they'd be on the outside looking in. If LSU would have won, they'd still be there with an impressive win against Bama.

Ohio state being a preseason #1,national champ, and not loading a game most certainly justifies them being in. As it stands now, if they win out against 2 top ten teams and Michigan, they've earned it. On the flip side, if they lose to a STILL undergrad Iowa, that'll be enough propel Iowa in the way it's attacked up now. I think I think Notre Dame being ahead of two undefeated teams is a little silly, but it's a thing that happens. If they won or, there's definitely an argument for them being in. All will be as it should be by the time out matters.

Roll bandwagon fan. :smug:

Yes, because I've been a Tide fan since I started here and long before that, motherfucker.

To be fair that's the one team you can't really bitch about him being a bandwagon rider for. :shrug:

so it looks like the Pac-12 is gonna be left without a seat, I don't see a two loss Pac-12 Champ getting in ahead of an undefeated or one-loss champ in the other four conferences, the question is will Notre Dame slide in and boot another conference out?

Right now the top four are Clemson, Ohio State, Bama, and Oklahoma State

if those four keep winning that won't change, but what happens if one of those teams slip? will those spots go to whoever wins their respective conference?

I think we can safely assume that one spot will go to the SEC Champ, because c'mon guys, it's the SEC, they invented football, on a more serious note, the SEC Champ is looking like it'll either be Bama or Florida, I think either of them will get a spot as SEC Champ

if Clemson loses I'm not sure the ACC Champ will get a spot by default, I'm pretty sure Clemson has clinched the Atlantic Division, so the only other potential ACC Champs are UNC and Pitt, I don't think either of them get in so the question is does Clemson still get into the playoffs even with a loss? looking at their remaining schedule their next two are Wake Forest and South Carolina, they could lose either of those games and still be ACC Champ, but I think a bad loss like that would boot them out, alternatively if they lose the ACC Championship game then they don't have the Conference Champ tag and I think that opens the door for Notre Dame, whose only loss was to Clemson, we're getting circular so I think I need to stop, suffice it to say a one-loss Clemson team makes things very interesting

Ohio State is probably a placeholder for the Big 10, the Big 10 Championship is likely to see an undefeated Iowa (assuming they can beat Purdue and Nebraska, which they should) against an undefeated Ohio State, a one-loss Michigan, or a one-loss Michigan State (OSU has Michigan and MSU left on its schedule, Michigan and MSU both have Penn State and OSU remaining, theoretically Penn State could sneak into a four way tie by beating both Michigan and MSU and seeing those two teams both beat OSU, but I don't see that happening, not sure what tiebreakers would do) I think any of those teams gets a spot with Big 10 Champion added to their resume

The Big 12 is a pretty big question mark, if Oklahoma State finishes running the table they're definitely in, if they lose it's a bit more up in the air, but the conference will be won by at worst a one-loss team unless Baylor loses to Texas, I think a one-loss Big 12 team is likely to get a spot, but it depends on how the other dominoes fall

So it looks like we'll have SEC Champ and Big 10 Champ then some combination of Clemson, Big 12 Champ, and Notre Dame

To rank the possibilities for the other two spots I'd go about like this:

Undefeated Clemson

Undefeated Oklahoma State

One-loss Notre Dame

One-loss Big 12 Champ

One-loss ACC Champ Clemson

Two-loss Pac 12 Champ

One-loss ACC Champ UNC

One-loss non-ACC Champ Clemson

anything beyond that is way too speculative (admittedly I'm already getting pretty speculative)

To be fair that's the one team you can't really bitch about him being a bandwagon rider for. :shrug:

Or the Blackhawks, Bulls, Braves, Syracuse, Manchester City.

EDIT: That's shortsighted of me to say. A Group of 5 could get in if they schedule some big name Power Five teams and smoke them.

couple problems with that line of thinking, first most teams only have about 4 out of conference games they can schedule and most teams like to have at least one cupcake game to have some live practice, factor in a local rivalry and you're only left with two games to schedule, when you account for the fact that Power Five teams are working in the same constraints and don't want to face a lot of out of conference opponents they might lose to then the scheduling gets even tougher

Once you get through the struggles of fitting Power Five teams into your schedule, then you have to pick the right Power Five teams, take Houston for example (undefeated and the highest ranked non-Power Five school) they played an SEC team (Vanderbilt) and an ACC team (Louisville) they beat both, but neither is a good enough team in their conference to qualify as a signature win, okay, maybe not a great example since those two teams are regularly middle to bottom of their conference, but how about Memphis, they had Ole Miss on their schedule, who was a top ten team at the end of last year, and beat them, unfortunately Ole Miss didn't do as well this year, so it's not such a signature win

You also run into the double edged sword where part of the reason Ole Miss isn't looked on as favorably is that they lost to Memphis (getting shellacked by Florida didn't help either) so a team you beat doesn't look as good partially because you beat them, and the logic goes round and round

but really, the bottom line is as long as we're shutting at least one Power 5 Conference out of the playoffs there's no room for a non-Power 5 team (aside from Notre Dame which plays mostly a Power 5 schedule)

Back up a few spots to #9. :yes: But probably about to drop down to like 21. :yao::mjtears:

RANKINGS 3.0

1.) Clemson (10-0)

2.) Alabama (9-1)

3.) Ohio State (10-0)

4.) Notre Dame (9-1)

5.) Iowa (10-0)

6.) Oklahoma State (10-0)

7.) Oklahoma (9-1)

8.) Florida (9-1)

9.) Michigan State (9-1)

10.) Baylor (8-1)

11.) Stanford (8-2)

12.) Michigan (8-2)

13.) Utah (8-2)

14.) Florida State (8-2)

15.) LSU (7-2)

16.) Navy (8-1)

17.) North Carolina (9-1)

18.) TCU (9-1)

19.) Houston (10-0)

20.) Northwestern (8-2)

21.) Memphis (8-2)

22.) Ole Miss (7-3)

23.) Oregon (7-3)

24.) USC (7-3)

25.) Wisconsin (8-2)

Edited by buthungry

Wish Memphis hadn't lost so we'd have a chance to see Paxton Lynch in the CFP. :sigh:

LOLCHERRY :pls:

p48C1BT.png

• Upvote 1

LOLCHERRY :pls:

p48C1BT.png

Woo Temple for playoffs :smug:

Ohio State :yao:

16 pass attempts?! :lol:

It was a terrible game. It's like neither team wanted to risk a turnover so all they did was running plays and QB runs.

Props to MSU for holding us to 130 something yards. Our playcalling has been a problem all year long, but it's never been so bad that we were shut down like this.

First and foremost, whoever is calling the shots on offense needs to go. Ed Warriner is a great OL coach, but the combination of him and Tim Beck has been horrific. Our passing game is so ineffective. Like, I don't understand how we go from being to pass at will against teams (including great defenses like Alabama, Wisconsin, Michigan State, etc) to whatever the fuck this is. It's pitiful. Zeke was a bit out of line with what he said, but it was true. The coaching staff absolutely refused to learn from what wasn't working.

Secondly, the scoreline doesn't show it but I really think MSU's offense kind of manhandled us. OSU has had a bend-don't-break defense for the past few weeks, and it finally caught up with us. Our run defense has been an issue for a while now, and MSU was able to run with pretty good effectiveness against us (something like 4 YPC?).

I just can't comprehend how this team fell off so much. We hardly lost anyone. Devin Smith was the only irreplaceable player we lost, but even in that case we can adjust our playcalling to what we have. And we have a shitload of talent. Our offensive talent straight up got squandered this year. It's truly pathetic. Urban, while he's still a great coach, went from one of the greatest coaching jobs of recent memory to a pretty poor performance when it counted. Yeah, we still have potential to have a good season (maybe we make it into the B1G Championship and maybe we win the Rose Bowl), but with how much returning talent we had from a championship team I have to say not contending for the title is a huge disappointment.

Edited by OSUViking
  • Upvote 1

I love how OSU completely unravels after a loss.

Players saying they won't come back next season, players bashing the coach...the coach bashing players but not giving credit to the opposing team that shut them down.

At Bama, a loss hurts but the integrity of the team isn't compromised...nor would anyone dare call out Saban...or Saban call out any of his players.

OSU is full of pussies and I wish it could've been us that snuffed their existence.

Frauds.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I love how OSU completely unravels after a loss.

Players saying they won't come back next season, players bashing the coach...the coach bashing players but not giving credit to the opposing team that shut them down.

At Bama, a loss hurts but the integrity of the team isn't compromised...nor would anyone dare call out Saban...or Saban call out any of his players.

OSU is full of pussies and I wish it could've been us that snuffed their existence.

Frauds.

I sensed a different chemistry between the players pretty early on. I don't know if it was how much success/attention they had after last season, the quarterback situation, or something else, but we didn't have the same spark we had last year. Last year's team wouldn't have pulled something like this. Urban needs to whip these guys into shape or something, I agree.

Frankly, if this is the team's true colors, then we deserved to lose based on this alone and not just on how poorly we game planned.

lol @ ATL. Biggest joke of a fan on this board.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

lol @ ATL. Biggest joke of a fan on this board.

You seem to be just as much of a pussy as Urban Meyer...lashing out for no reason because you're butthurt. pls

Leave Urban out of this. Have you seen the women he has spawned? That should be enough for us to not care what he did with Florida.