BLUE

Vikings @ Raiders

By SCOTT GARBARINI

STATS Writer

(AP) -- Neither was among the first two quarterbacks chosen in the 2014 NFL draft, nor were they the most hyped.

It's unlikely the Minnesota Vikings and Oakland Raiders are regretting their decisions to make Teddy Bridgewater and Derek Carr the present and future faces of their franchises, however.

The second-year standouts square off for the first time when the surging Vikings return to the Bay Area for Sunday's matchup between two of the NFL's first-half surprises.

Minnesota nabbed a sliding Bridgewater with the 32nd and final pick of the first round of last year's draft, four spots ahead of the Raiders' selection of Carr. One has quickly emerged as one of the league's most efficient passers, while the other has his team in prime playoff position at this season's midway point.

Carr's 19 touchdown passes are tied for third-most in the NFL and he's tossed four in each of the last two games, helping long-suffering Oakland (4-4) already surpass its victory total of his 3-13 rookie campaign. The 24-year-old is on pace to record only the third 4,000-yard passing season in franchise history.

"I think Carr's doing a great job of recognition, getting the ball out," Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said. "He has a little bit of a gunslinger mentality. He's not afraid to throw the ball into tight cover, down the field, take his chances. It looks like he's playing with a lot of confidence to me."

While Bridgewater hasn't been as impressive statistically, his 12-8 record since becoming the Vikings' starting quarterback four games into last season is easily the best of a 2014 class that contains two other first-round picks in Jacksonville's Blake Bortles and Cleveland's Johnny Manziel.

Six of those victories have come over a seven-game stretch that has Minnesota (6-2) tied with Green Bay atop the NFC North in Zimmer's second season.

Bridgewater wasn't able to finish the latest win after sustaining a concussion early in the fourth quarter of last week's game against St. Louis. He was cleared to practice Wednesday and is on track to start Sunday.

Shaun Hill replaced Bridgewater, knocked out by a shot to the head from Rams cornerback Lamarcus Joyner, though it was Adrian Peterson who had a greater impact on the 21-18 triumph. The star running back recorded 21 of his 125 yards in overtime to set up Blair Walsh's winning field goal.

Peterson is averaging 108.7 yards and 4.8 per carry over the last three weeks and the Vikings have been stout defensively as well during their four-game win streak, yielding 306.8 yards and holding opponents to an 18 percent success rate (9 for 50) on third downs.

"The last three or four ballgames, this kind of shows what kind of team we are as far as how we are on offense, how we are defensively and how we are on special teams," Zimmer said. "We're probably not going to go up and down the field like the Greatest Show on Turf. This is how we're built to win right now."

Minnesota's sixth-ranked pass defense (220.6 ypg) will be challenged by the improving Carr and his formidable receiver tandem of Michael Crabtree (47 receptions, 591 yards, 5 TDs) and rookie Amari Cooper (45 receptions, 653 yards, 4 TDs). The rejuvenated Crabtree has four touchdown catches over the past three weeks and posted his second straight game of seven receptions and 100-plus yards in last Sunday's 38-35 loss at Pittsburgh.

Oakland's dangerous passing attack may not have to lead the way again this week, as leading rusher Latavius Murray practiced Thursday for the first time since suffering a concussion in Pittsburgh.

The Raiders, though, might have to air it out after surrendering a whopping 597 total yards to the Steelers, with Antonio Brown accumulating 284 on a franchise-record 17 catches.

"It is definitely not something that the secondary is proud of," cornerback David Amerson said. "We know we are better than that. We have to get back to the board and we have to practice to get better."

The secondary may be getting a boost in the expected return of safety Nate Allen, sidelined since the season opener by a knee injury.

Oakland has won five of seven at O.co Coliseum dating to last season and is 5-1 all-time at home against Minnesota, which also was dealt an unwanted result when it visited the Bay Area in Week 1. The Vikings gained a season-low 248 total yards in a 20-3 loss to San Francisco on Sept. 14.

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

At the beginning of the year, this game didn't exactly look all that appealing. All of a sudden, it is a really interesting matchup. Teddy and Stefon VS Carr and Amari. Does it really get that much better? I like Teddy and all, but what the Raiders are doing right now is pretty dope. Hopefully Charles gets another INT or two to add to his total.

The Vikings are gonna win with boreball. Boreball wins football games.

:Vikings: 27

:Raiders: 20

This is a huge test for the Vikings defense. Not having Kendricks is going to suck but I believe in the almighty Zimmer.

Don't fuck this up with bad INTs, Teddy.

Vikings declared MLB Eric Kendricks, C Nick Easton, DT Kenrick Ellis, QB Taylor Heinicke, CB Josh Robinson, T Jeremiah Sirles and DT Justin Trattou inactive for Week 10 against the Raiders.

Kendricks (ribs) returned to a limited practice on Friday but was always a long shot to play this week. His absence will make Latavius Murray's life a little easier on Sunday. Anthony Barr (hand), Teddy Bridgewater (concussion), Sharrif Floyd (knee/ankle), Linval Joseph (foot), Terence Newman (concussion), Brian Robison (ankle) and Marcus Sherels (shoulder) are all active for the Vikes.

Raiders declared RB Roy Helu, OLB Neiron Ball, TE Gabe Holmes, C Rodney Hudson, T Matt McCants, CB Dexter McDonald and WR Rod Streater inactive for Week 10 against the Vikings.

It's the second week in a row Helu has been a healthy scratch. T.J. Carrie (hip), Amari Cooper (quad), Latavius Murray (concussion), Clive Walford (quad) and Charles Woodson (shoulder) are all active for the Raiders.

Teddy has to throw the damn ball. Oakland didn't just morph into a good team against the pass in 7 days. So gutless.

Tony Corrente just ignored obvious evidence that Toomer was touching the ball while his shoulder was in the end zone making it a touchback.

But no. Let's ignore that and have the call stand and leave the ball at the 4.

What is the point in having the ability to review if they're going to ignore clear and sufficient evidence to overturn the call?

If they don't stop ignoring clear evidence, just take away coach's challenges and just automatically review touchdowns and turnovers like they already do.

So dumb.

Adrian Peeeterson *Deion Sanders voice*

The Vikes wagon is getting hot, folks. Wonder who jumps on next :smug:

I will murder anyone who jumps on. I've enjoyed being one of the only (semi) active Viking fans on these boards.

I will murder anyone who jumps on. I've enjoyed being one of the only (semi) active Viking fans on these boards.

We're glad to have you as the semi-active Vikings fan around here. What's it like sharing that space with an active semi-Vikings fan like Bware?

It's good for moral support. Every leader needs his supporters. :D

That was disappointing.

The Raiders played a good team..but for the second week in a row...and let two individual players take over. Amazing how the Raiders just 2 weeks ago were second against the run...and then they let AP do his thing.

The Vikings have a good defense, great special teams, and they are clearly the best team in the NFC right now. Kudos to them, back to the drawing board in Oakland.

At least the jackasses lost :smug:

Ya I am just impressed at how incredibly solid the Vikings are. Nobody is talking about them. They are just doing their jobs and doing them well with fantastic results. I know they have talent, I've been talking some of them up a lot. But do they really have any BIG names outside of Adrian Peterson? Yes Sharriff Floyd is good. So are the likes of Harrison skin, Xavier Rhodes, Chad Greenway, Kendricks, etc etc.... But would your casual NFL fan know or care who those guys are? Maybe not. Which only makes the Vikings accomolishments this year that much more impressive.

• Upvote 2

Maybe I'm just all too familiar with the Vikings history, but I'm tempering my expectations for them. In a year or two? I think we could pull off a Super Bowl run. I don't think the offense is consistent enough to do that right now. AP is playing well, but for a variety of reasons (Oline, AP, etc) we have a shitload of negative run plays. Teddy is playing OK, but I don't think he's played like a game changer like we will need him to for a serious postseason run.

• Upvote 1

Maybe I'm just all too familiar with the Vikings history, but I'm tempering my expectations for them. In a year or two? I think we could pull off a Super Bowl run. I don't think the offense is consistent enough to do that right now. AP is playing well, but for a variety of reasons (Oline, AP, etc) we have a shitload of negative run plays. Teddy is playing OK, but I don't think he's played like a game changer like we will need him to for a serious postseason run.

Ya, I would tend to agree that you are still a year or two off of that real consistent dominance (if you continue to draft and develop talent as you have the last few years)... But it's still a great sign for the team and organization as a whole. Other than the likes of Mike Wallace, this team is mostly made up of talent that was drafted and developed by this front office. The Vikings have rebuilt / are rebuilding the right way. Not only that but they have the right guys leading that development in ZImmer and his staff. Everything has come together just as it should for the Vikings.

Ya I am just impressed at how incredibly solid the Vikings are. Nobody is talking about them. They are just doing their jobs and doing them well with fantastic results. I know they have talent, I've been talking some of them up a lot. But do they really have any BIG names outside of Adrian Peterson? Yes Sharriff Floyd is good. So are the likes of Harrison skin, Xavier Rhodes, Chad Greenway, Kendricks, etc etc.... But would your casual NFL fan know or care who those guys are? Maybe not. Which only makes the Vikings accomolishments this year that much more impressive.

If Aaron Donald did not exist, it would be Linval Joseph playing at the highest level of any DT in the league right now. Dude is absolutely feasting on opposing OLs.

I think people generally know who Harrison Smith is. :shrug: As for some guys you didn't mention, Anthony Barr has been incredible this year, but so much of it is under the radar and I think that's because opposing offenses know to avoid him at all costs.

I am hesitant to call this team great until the OL strings together a bunch of solid games and Teddy stops missing wide open receivers (and when I say miss, he doesn't even see them) and short-changing drives with mistakes. Make no mistake, Teddy Bridgewater has flashes of greatness, but he is overwhelmingly mediocre right now and I really think they need to focus on getting him up to at least 230 passing yards per game and 2 TDs. This whole less than 10 TDs on the year thing is out of hand.

Green Bay might restore order to the world this Sunday, but I don't think they can just flip a switch and be OK. I expect Minnesota to win this game and have their letdown against a shitty Atlanta team the following week.

I think Minnesota has defensive playmakers at every level. On the Dline Floyd and Joseph make a pretty great DT duo, and I think Griffen has played pretty well. We might still benefit from getting another good/great pass rusher.

LBs look good. Barr is a superstar in the works from the looks of it and Kendricks looks like he could be great.

Rhodes is a good DB and he would be great if not for the penalties. Smith is arguably one of if not the best safeties right now. If we had drafted Marcus Peters I'd say we would potentially have one of the best defensive back fields, but who knows maybe Wayne's becomes just as good.

@Bware: if we're being picky, Rudoplh has dropped two pretty simple TD passes. One turned directly into an INT the following play.

I think Minnesota has defensive playmakers at every level. On the Dline Floyd and Joseph make a pretty great DT duo, and I think Griffen has played pretty well. We might still benefit from getting another good/great pass rusher.

LBs look good. Barr is a superstar in the works from the looks of it and Kendricks looks like he could be great.

Rhodes is a good DB and he would be great if not for the penalties. Smith is arguably one of if not the best safeties right now. If we had drafted Marcus Peters I'd say we would potentially have one of the best defensive back fields, but who knows maybe Wayne's becomes just as good.

@Bware: if we're being picky, Rudoplh has dropped two pretty simple TD passes. One turned directly into an INT the following play.

I want to give Rudolph's routes to Pruitt. I don't care how much they're paying Kyle--he's not contributing and MyCole Pruitt is a potential star at the position.