Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Cardinals @ Seahawks

By SCOTT GARBARINI

STATS Writer

(AP) -- The parallels between the Arizona Cardinals' last visit to Seattle and their upcoming one are obvious. So is the one main difference.

Arizona brings a healthy Carson Palmer into Sunday night's showdown with the Seahawks, as well as a two-game lead on its NFC West rivals that it knows first-hand can mean very little at midseason.

The Cardinals were 9-1 and owned a three-game advantage on second-place Seattle when they entered CenturyLink Field last November, then left with a 19-3 loss that began a reversal of fortune for both teams. The Seahawks went on to win their last five games - including another over Arizona - to capture the division and the NFC's top playoff seed after the Cardinals dropped four of their final six.

Palmer's season-ending torn ACL suffered two weeks prior to the first loss clearly played a big part in the Cardinals' second-half fade, just as the veteran quarterback's strong play has Arizona (6-2) back atop the West midway through this season.

The 35-year-old leads the conference with a 110.2 passer rating and 20 touchdowns after throwing for four in the Cardinals' last outing, a 34-20 triumph at Cleveland on Nov. 1 in which they overcame four turnovers and a 13-point first-half deficit.

"Carson is playing phenomenal football," said Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, Palmer's former coach at USC. "He looks as good as he's ever looked. He's in great command of the offense.

"I think it's really the best I've ever seen him in all the years he's been out there playing."

Arizona is 12-2 since the start of last season when Palmer plays, though it's proved it can still succeed when he doesn't play well. Such was the case in the Cardinals' 2013 trip to Seattle, where Palmer threw four interceptions but the defense yielded 192 total yards in a 17-10 win that gave Russell Wilson his first home loss.

Seattle (4-4) also lost its most recent outing at CenturyLink Field when unbeaten Carolina rallied for a 27-23 decision Oct. 18. The two-time defending NFC champions have since rebounded with wins at San Francisco and Dallas prior to their Week 9 bye.

Wilson engineered a 17-play drive to set up Steven Hauschka's field goal with 1:06 left in the 13-12 victory over the Cowboys, in which the Seahawks allowed 220 total yards after limiting the 49ers to 142 in a 20-3 win.

Seattle also stymied an Arizona offense without Palmer in each of last year's wins, holding the Cardinals to a combined 420 total yards and three Chandler Catanzaro field goals.

The Seahawks figure to face more of a challenge this time. Arizona ranks second in scoring (32.9) and fourth in total offense and passing yards, while a resurgent Chris Johnson has four 100-yard rushing efforts over the last six games to lend balance to Palmer and receivers Larry Fitzgerald, John Brown and Michael Floyd.

Johnson recorded 109 yards on 30 carries and Floyd compiled a season-high 106 with a touchdown on four catches against Cleveland.

"They're really making the most of their personnel," Carroll said.

Brown, averaging 6.3 catches and 102.5 yards over his last four, missed the Cleveland game with a hamstring injury but is expected back as Arizona emerges from its bye relatively healthy entering a defining stretch of games. The Cardinals host undefeated Cincinnati next week and later face St. Louis, Minnesota, Philadelphia and Green Bay in succession before a rematch with Seattle in the Jan. 3 finale.

"We've got a really tough challenge coming down the road," Fitzgerald told the Cardinals' official website. "We understand that, but I think we're ready for the challenge. We're excited about it."

The Seahawks also come in mostly injury-free, though Ricardo Lockette is out for the season after sustaining a concerning neck injury against the Cowboys. The reserve receiver returned to the team Monday after being released from a Dallas hospital following surgery.

"He's got a great spirit, so he bounced back with an attitude that wouldn't surprise us," Carroll said. "He couldn't wait to get back to his teammates and get back with us."

Wilson, 28-3 at home including the playoffs, threw for 339 yards and two touchdowns in a 35-6 rout at Arizona on Dec. 21. He took seven sacks in last year's meeting in Seattle and had been sacked 31 times over this season's first seven games before the Seahawks didn't allow any against Dallas.

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

Anxious-excited for this and not too sure what to expect. Last time Carson faced us he threw 4 ints and they still beat us. There's not a lot you can zero in on because Larry Fitzgerald is having a year as good as his young self would, and John Brown might have Earl on his heels a bit this year. An overwhelmingly pumped crowd behind the 2nd best defense in football right now will hopefully be enough to hold them to 17. Their defense is ranked 4th however and a performance like we did against Dallas might not be enough. Gotta be a little optimistic that Wilson takes advantage of a Cardinals defense that has the second-fewest sacks and giving guys time to get open, with a good mix of Marshawn Lynch and some creativity to get us in the endzone a few times.

I think Paul Richardson, Jeremy Lane, and Russell Okung have outside shots at returning this week.

:Seahawks: 23

:Cardinals: 17

Edited by BC

:lol:

Carson Palmer is playing fantastically. Gonna show the Seahawks what a real QB looks like. Should be a fun one... I hope. ha

Marshawn Lynch (abdomen) is active for Week 10 against the Cardinals.

Lynch was cleared to play after making it through pre-game warmups. He might not see a full workload at less than 100 percent, but is a must start. Paul Richardson (knee) is also active.
Seattle's inactives are RB Bryce Brown, CB Tye Smith, C Drew Nowak, OG Mark Glowinski, TE Cooper Helfet, OG Kristjian Sokoli, and DT David King

John Brown (hamstring) is active for Week 10 against Seattle.

Brown was a game-time decision after practicing on a limited basis. He's a mid-range WR3 in a difficult matchup.
The Cardinals inactives are QB Matt Barkley, OT D.J. Humphries, WR J.J. Nelson, LB Shaq Riddick, CB Robert Nelson, OL Ted Larsen, and NT Xavier Williams.

I really thought we had this game as soon as the Bobby Wagner defensive TD. I really did. it's not like pass defense is something we need to address in the draft or anything like that. The whole defense is still stacked personell wise. We stuttered way too many times offensively. Tons of holds happened. Dropped Jimmy Graham passes happened. And two dumb Wilson plays happened. A good game by Carson Palmer and the Cardinals certainly happened. Mathieu/ Peterson didn't really rob us of anything but their presense takes a lot of the field away much like the LOB does, or usually does. They have it goin on for them and could be dangerous if healthy.

If we can make better use of our players especially on offense, and learn whatever we need to learn on passing D (I still feel like we know how to execute, we just don't) we'll be fine and in the thick of it.

Edited by BC

The Seahawks are done.

They aren't catching GB/Minny or Atlanta. Try again next year Seattle, next time around...bring a respectable offense.

Russell Wilson is so overrated lol

I didn't get to watch this game at all. What were the cardinals doing offensively that stumped the Seahawks so badly? All week they were talking about how Sherman is now shadowing #1s and I look at the stats and both Fitzy and Mike went off ,

Wait, the Cards have a John Brown and a Jaron Brown?

I didn't turn the game on til late and thought Al Michaels was just screwing up John Brown's name.

Why is the text like that?

Because he copied it from somewhere else.

I didn't get to watch this game at all. What were the cardinals doing offensively that stumped the Seahawks so badly? All week they were talking about how Sherman is now shadowing #1s and I look at the stats and both Fitzy and Mike went off ,

Sherman got wrecked by Michael Floyd. It was hilarious to watch. He kept whining to the officials about OPI after every other play too. And then got all salty when he got called for DPI, when he grabbed Floyd's jersey and yanked him backwards.

Sherman gave up 5 for sixty-something I heard on the radio. They actually didn't shadow anyone, they let the Cardinals pick their poison. If Sherman hadn't tried to jump the route on Michael Floyd on the TD he gave up it wouldn't have been so bad. What amazed me about Carson Palmer is that in the 4th quarter, he was strip sacked twice, once by Cliff Avril, which was then punched in from the 1 yard line by Tukuafu. Next Cardinals possession, KJ Wright comes in and strip-sacks, which is ran in for the TD by Wagner. You'd think Carson would be scared for his life because at this point it's loud as shit in there, and our clutch defense had seemingly stolen the game.

But rather than come back out and cower, they continue calling the air it out plays. They convert on a 3rd and 15, and really took a ton of chances that you wouldn't expect them to take at this point in the game that paid off. A defensive holding or two, and then yet another tight end burning us for the lead at the end that they never lost.

Edited by BC

Any news on Iupati? Is he done for the year?

Also, I think we should acknowledge the classiness of everybody involved in that situation. Well done by two teams in a vicious rivalry and a fanbase that could have gone all Philly-on-Irvin on a rival player.

Holy shit--he's been cleared to play against Cincy already. He suffered an awful Double-stinger. Yikes.

Edited by BwareDWare94