Vin

Seahawks @ Vikings

(AP) -- While the Minnesota Vikings are in position to make a run at the only title that would satisfy coach Mike Zimmer, the Seattle Seahawks have been forced to continue their playoff push without a top offensive weapon.

Back atop the NFC North with clear goals in mind, the Vikings' road continues Sunday against a Seahawks team that will travel the rest of theirs without Jimmy Graham.

Minnesota (8-3) rebounded from a disappointing home loss to Green Bay with a 20-10 victory at Atlanta last week. The Vikings won their sixth in seven games to reclaim sole possession of first place - a spot they haven't held this late in a season since winning the division with a 12-4 record in 2009.

Zimmer, though, has bigger plans than the North title.

"We're going to have to (have) that Super Bowl trophy in our hands to satisfy him," cornerback Captain Munnerlyn said.

The defense returned to championship form against the Falcons, matching a season low in points allowed a week after surrendering a season high in a 30-13 loss to the Packers.

The Vikings intercepted Matt Ryan twice and recovered a fumble for their fifth game with multiple takeaways. They've allowed less than 20 points in five of their last seven.

"Anytime you have a north in your division - NFC North or AFC North - this is a pretty good ingredient going forward when the weather starts getting colder and things like that," Zimmer said.

Another part of the recipe is a productive ground game. Adrian Peterson, who was held to 45 rushing yards and lost a key fumble against Green Bay, ran for 158 yards with a pair of touchdowns against the Falcons for his fourth straight game with a score.

The ninth-year running back moved into 18th place on the NFL's career rushing list with 11,354 yards, passing O.J. Simpson (11,236), Corey Dillon (11,241) and John Riggins (11,352). Next on the list is Steven Jackson with 11,388.

"I just come in and try to focus on doing my job and helping my team win," Peterson said. "I'll be able to look at those things after the fact."

First he has to focus on a Seattle defense allowing just 92.9 rushing yards per game. Peterson has 329 yards in three career games against the Seahawks, most coming in a 182-yard, two-touchdown effort on Nov. 4, 2012.

Seattle (6-5), which has won four of five, has allowed just 117 rushing yards combined in wins over San Francisco and Pittsburgh - though, granted, those teams were missing starting running backs Carlos Hyde and Le'Veon Bell.

The Seahawks' offense has come alive with 100 points in the last three games after posting season highs in passing yards (336) and points with a 39-30 win over the Steelers. Seattle moved above .500 for the first time and into a tie with Atlanta for the NFC's second wild-card spot.

However, there is concern after the team lost tight end Jimmy Graham for the season in another hit to an offense that is already without running back Marshawn Lynch. Graham landed awkwardly while trying to catch a pass in the end zone early in the fourth quarter against Pittsburgh, injuring the patellar tendon in his right knee.

"We're going to miss the heck out of him the rest of the season," coach Pete Carroll said. "He's been a fantastic addition to us and you saw him again (Sunday) doing stuff. He was going to have a huge day if he was able to stay out there."

Graham finished with four catches for 75 yards - just his fourth game with that many - but was targeted at least eight times in four of his final six games and played 78.4 percent of Seattle's offensive snaps against the Steelers, marking the most of any skill player on the offense.

"We've been growing with him and you expect certain guys to do things and we've expected Jimmy to make some plays and do some special things so it will be a little different," Carroll said. "We'll just change."

Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger threw for 456 yards last week, the most ever allowed by the Seahawks, but Russell Wilson threw for 345 with five touchdowns, three of them to Doug Baldwin amid his 145-yard receiving effort.

Seattle has won the last two meetings, but the Vikings won 35-9 at home in 2009.

You know, the guy that is a better receiver than anyone on the Vikings roster. :kobe:

Diggs, Wallace, Wright....

Diggs, Wallace, Wright....

Diggs maybe in a few years. Lol @ Wallace and Wright. Baldwin clearly has them beat.

• Upvote 2

Doug Baldwin, the slot WR with the most receiving yards in football. Thanks, Pittsburgh. I expect a grind it out physical football game, but if it comes down to the 4th quarter and the score is close, I'm taking the Seahawks 9 times out of 10.

:Seahawks: 27

:Vikings: 23

Dunno if Teddy is ready for this defense. This might be like Denver all over again in terms of sacks, but we can't stay in this game if Teddy turns it over.

Should also be a good test for the defense.

Raz's prediction sounds about right. Teddy isn't Carson Palmer or Big Ben so I'm not too worried about the vertical game. Having Jeremy Lane back and healthy in the slot makes a huge difference. The O-line has improved a ton and we havn't had sack problems since early in the year. There's no reason why we can't win this but I can see it going either way. The pass rush is tough and could make things messy at times on offense, but Rawls, Wilson and the whole leading the league in rushing thing is the direct answer to a tough pass rush so we should be able to handle ourselves. We've done pretty okay against Adrian Peterson, I mean he hasn't destroyed us or anything. Turnover battle winner probably wins. We are pretty good at protecting the ball. Are the Vikings?

This should be a close game either way and make for an interesting game for the general fan. Both of these teams would be playing in round 1 of the playoffs were the playoffs to start tomorrow, so the implications should make this game pretty heavily watched I'd think.

:Seahawks: 26

:Vikings: 22

Edited by BC

Diggs maybe in a few years. Lol @ Wallace and Wright. Baldwin clearly has them beat.

Mike Wallace who had 10 TDs last year and Jarius Wright who, if he had a better goddamn quarterback, would be lighting it up.

DO not underestimate how poorly Teddy Bridgewater is playing most of the time. It is scary.

Mike Wallace who had 10 TDs last year and Jarius Wright who, if he had a better goddamn quarterback, would be lighting it up.

Wallace is an extremely inconsistent deep threat. Wright is JAG with some speed that is a fringe-NFL talent.

From an athletic standpoint, clearly Wallace is better than Baldwin, but I'd much rather have a receiver that you know what you're going to get week-in and week-out from. Baldwin is dependable. Wallace disappears more than Harry Houdini.

Tired of the QB argument. Wilson is inconsistent and they're in a run-first offense just like the Vikings.

• Upvote 1

Vikings FS Harrison Barr (knee) is active for Week 13 against the Seahawks.

As is SLB Anthony Barr.
Inactive for the Vikings are NT Linval Joseph, S Andrew Sendejo, QB Taylor Heinicke, DE Justin Trattou, LB Edmond Robinson, C Nick Easton and OT Jeremiah Sirles.

Seahawks CB Cary Williams is a healthy scratch for Week 13 against the Vikings.

Williams was signed to start last March, but has now been scratched in back-to-back weeks.
Also inactive for the Seahawks are RB Marshawn Lynch, TE Chase Coffman, CB Tye Smith, C Kristjan Sokoli, DL Demarcus Dobbs and DT Jordan Hill.

How'd the Vikings get to 8-3 playing like this, they're like hanging on for dear life. We aren't playing amazing but looks like an easy win if it keeps up like this. Juke moves in the pocket is getting the best of the over aggressive Vikings rush. Rawls is feeling it big. O-line is playing great. Bridgewater looks lost. Anthony Barr is apparently the guy designated to spy Wilson but he's left the game questionable to return. Only 7-0 so far but this looks us all the way so far.

190 yards for Seahawks in 1st qtr. 3 for Vikings.

Edited by BC

Fucking Terry McCauley is such a piece of dumpster fire ash. How in the fuck is that unnecessary roughness on Robison? Wilson got up to keep running and Robison was just making sure he had him. It's not like he drilled him into the fucking ground. And then you factor in that Seattle's first touchdown drive was extended by a bullshit holding call on Newman when the Vikings had stopped them on third down.

What is this bullshit? Holy fucking rig-fest. How was that unnecessary roughness on Robison. SOMEBODY explain it to me. What a waste of human life McCauley is. If he's going to pull shit like that, I wouldn't care if he got fired. Fucking prick. He's almost as bad as Walt Coleman.

Fucking bullshit.

And what on god's green earth can cause BOTH Barr and Smith to get hurt? Why? Why do we deserve to have to try to play without our two best defensive players after one goddamn series?

Jesus H Christ, this is a shit show. And then Turner kills our best drive with a slow developing reverse. Oh my god, he's so fucking stupid sometimes. I don't care how great Norv Turner can be--sometimes he kills drives with the worst possible play call.

Oh my god. I'm just fuming right now with all of this bullshit going on. How in the hell can all of this happen in one half of football?

• Downvote 5

It's 21-0, your team is getting utterly dominated in all phases. Has nothing to do with the refs.

yes-gif.gif

This x10000000000

• Upvote 1

The Vikings' offensive gameplan was when the game ended. The runs were expected and didn't work, as were the screens. You aren't built to convert 3rd & long with Bridgewater especially against a pro bowl filled secondary unit. It's a good team just not much versatility to it.

Vikings haven't beat anybody so it's not a surprise they can't beat teams with playoff experience that mostly know how to get the job done when it matters most.

It's 21-0, your team is getting utterly dominated in all phases. Has nothing to do with the refs.

You aren't watching. You did not see the bogus holding penalty that extended a drive, and then the awful, ridiculous unnecessary roughness that negated a big loss on a sack in a later drive.

If you don't see these plays, you can't understand what has happened. I'm sorry, but there's more to football than, "Derp, what's the score?" You can't judge a game without watching it unless it's something like NE/Jax and 52-13.

Do you know who Doug Baldwin is now, Bware?

I've always known who Doug Baldwin is--a 4th string receiver who can excel against beat up secondaries. Otherwise, he's worthless.

Do none of you realize that both Anthony Barr and Harrison Smith got injured on the first drive, and that Linval Joseph was out for this game? That's Minnesota's 3 best defensive players on the shelf. This game is not indicative of a real matchup between these two teams, especially when you consider that the asshole Terry McCauley is reffing this game.

Last but not least--Teddy Bridgewater sucks and is not the future of any NFL franchise. At this point it's just the cold hard truth.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Downvote 2

I've always known who Doug Baldwin is--a 4th string receiver who can excel against beat up secondaries. Otherwise, he's worthless.

Kellen, you are the king of butthurt hyperbole. Congratulations! :clap:

I guess the Vikings receivers are of fifth string quality. :yao:

• Upvote 2

Teddy Bridgewater is the problem. He won't throw downfield. He's a fucking pussy to the Nth degree and I can't stand him at all.

You aren't watching. You did not see the bogus holding penalty that extended a drive, and then the awful, ridiculous unnecessary roughness that negated a big loss on a sack in a later drive.

If you don't see these plays, you can't understand what has happened. I'm sorry, but there's more to football than, "Derp, what's the score?" You can't judge a game without watching it unless it's something like NE/Jax and 52-13.

Do none of you realize that both Anthony Barr and Harrison Smith got injured on the first drive, and that Linval Joseph was out for this game? That's Minnesota's 3 best defensive players on the shelf. This game is not indicative of a real matchup between these two teams, especially when you consider that the asshole Terry McCauley is reffing this game.

Last but not least--Teddy Bridgewater sucks and is not the future of any NFL franchise. At this point it's just the cold hard truth.

So that explains 7 of the 35 points. What's your excuse for the other 28 of them ? Can not even say I'm not watching the game.

Doug Baldwin 5 catches 94 yards 2 tds. In the words of Bruno Mars. Bitch say my name you know who i am.

Edited by Turry
  • Upvote 1