Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Matt Ryan is overwhelmed

He's a dumby, ya'll.

Falcons coach Dan Quinn says it's an "overstatement" to say Matt Ryan is "overwhelmed" by OC Kyle Shanahan's system.

This is where we're at with Ryan's 2015. The eighth-year starter has only four more touchdowns than picks, and is on pace for his fewest scores in a full season since his rookie year. He'll remain off the QB1 radar for this week's road matchup with the Panthers' elite defense.

Could've swore another QB running his Offense was overwhelmed too. He always seem to have a fast start with his new team only to fade out over the year.

Kinda weird considering the "Shanahan offense" is supposedly QB friendly. Definitely masked a lot of Schaub's flaws for more than a few years.

Could've swore another QB running his Offense was overwhelmed too. He always seem to have a fast start with his new team only to fade out over the year.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Kinda weird considering the "Shanahan offense" is supposedly QB friendly. Definitely masked a lot of Schaub's flaws for more than a few years.

Foster and Andre in their primes did a lot to help mask Schaub's flaws, too. :smug:

Good point.

At the beginning of the season, when the Falcon's were rolling, Kyle Shanahan was getting tons of hype and put on the list for hot HC candidates. Not to take any of the blame away from Matt Ryan, but maybe Kyle Shanahan should make some changes?

At the beginning of the season, when the Falcon's were rolling, Kyle Shanahan was getting tons of hype and put on the list for hot HC candidates. Not to take any of the blame away from Matt Ryan, but maybe Kyle Shanahan should make some changes?

Right. As a coach, you have to adjust your scheme based on the players you have. Shanahan probably should have known he couldn't fire up his full scheme in year one with Ryan. If Ryan is overwhelmed, Atlanta needs to simplify things a bit.

Having said all this, Ryan is having a bad season. You can't look at some of the interceptions he's throwing and tell me that's a scheme problem.

Are we talking about Manziel? In reference to not picking up Shanny's system

The Falcons don't have all that much talent on offense either. Julio is obviously a beast, but Roddy is no longer the guy he was and they don't have Tony Gonzalez at TE anymore. Ever since Devonta Freeman came back to Earth, Atlanta has really struggled.

Are we talking about Manziel? In reference to not picking up Shanny's system

I was thinking it was RG3.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Shannahan sucks and is def a guy who is not just a QB killer but an offense killer.

He did it in Washington with his bullshit zone o-line bullshit and his weakass conservative playcalling.

The Falcons don't have shit on offense outside Julio, that is true, but it's def a combination of Ryan sucking and the playcalling. Very stupid to be so ignorant that you aren't feeding your best player in the redzone.

It hasn't anything to do with Matt Ryans football smarts. Here's the thing, the Falcons offensive line isn't built for zone blocking to start with. It's a mix and match of bullshit parts and components. It all starts there.

In the first 5 games, Ryan was getting great protection and was able to make reads. After that Ryan has been under enormous pressure for whatever reasons. I'm not a football expert, but I believe that must have something to do with the fact that no one on our line fits the zone blocking scheme according to past successful lines in the scheme.

Now, we can couple that with terrible playcalling. Shannahan is dead set on just feeding the ball to Julio JOnes. It makes sense to everyone on account of him being the best player we have, but it doesn't make sense in the football world. Teams are throwing double and triple coverage on Julio, yet for some reason he remains the hot read on EVERY down. So now he's the hot read every pass play and double/triple covered, and you're under pressure... This was a disaster waiting to happen, and now is the largest problem with the offense.

Despite that, the Falcons have been able to move the ball down field and into the red zone efficiently enough to be somewhere in the 5-10 range in terms of total offense. How, I have no clue. So, lets go into the red zone play calling. Obviously, you think that Shannahan would continue his Julio Jones insanity into the deep portions of the red zone right? Wrong. He hasn't, not because he doesn't want to, but because he simply can not. Go back to being double and triple covered. The space to work shrinks immensely, we all know that. So what happens when you have one of the best in the league, you throw to him right? No. You can't. That would be dumb. Matt Ryan has openly said that there have been playcalls for Jones in the end zone, but the looks aren't there even when he's the hot read. That's just common sense quarter backing. YOu don't throw to a guy covered like that in the end zone. Your chances of completing a pass deteriorate immensely. Ryan is making the right choices by not giving him the ball in those situations. Where it's backfiring then is when Ryan thinks he has to make a play on his own. Either running and trying to throw over defenders, or throwing to guys like Roddy White and Jacob Tammy while their blanketed. See, everyone knows that once you take Julio out of the game in the red zone, Matt Ryan will panic under pressure and try to make something happen.

That's where Matt Ryan and his noodle arm come in. He just doesn't have a strong arm. At least, in my opinion, he hasn't this year. Against the Giants, Matt Ryan took a hard hit from one of the linebackers, I don't know which, but ever since it looks like he's been throwing ducks out there. Peyton Manning style ducks. I know the injury story and excuses get old, but I really do think that when he went down and stumbled to get up, he was hurt. He's never been known to have a very strong arm, but what we've seen since that game has been abysmal. Pathetic in fact.

I'm a huge Matt Ryan fan and I don't think this is all on him. I will say though, it IS on him to get back to where he was before next season. If not, something has to be done with him.

To those saying "I thought Shannhans ZBS was supposed to be quarterback friendly", sure. Usually is the case. But in the case of Shannahan, seriously look at the record. Shannahan has been quarterbacks worse nightmare whenever he enters town. He has destroyed nearly every single offense he has been injected into, like a damn poison. And what he lacks in destruction with playcalling, he makes up for with his snake like comments to the media. The problem is, he wants to be his father. He isn't. In fact, looking at the guys track record, he's been riding off his fathers name since the very beginning of his time in the NFL. Dan Quinn personally selected Shannahan, and he did it off recognition. Not off of field track record. It was a disaster waiting to happen. All was well when the Falcons' lame duck defense and offensive lines were over achieving and playing above their true talent. Once other teams figured their weaknesses and have been using it against them, it's been down hill. The Falcons defense is terrible outside of 4 players, the Falcons offense is terrible outside of 3 players. It just wasn't going to happen in one season.

There is no issue with Matt Ryan's arm strength in general. He doesn't have a Flacco or Cutler arm but he doesn't have a noodle arm, either.

Matt Ryan admits OC Kyle Shanahan's system was "too much" for him at times this season.

"I think that's for everyone, when you're learning something new and it's different, at times there's too much, right?" Ryan said. Ryan went on to say he thought the team finally had some "good plans" the final 5-6 weeks of the season, specifically the last three. It's a curious admission from a veteran quarterback who probably shouldn't be overwhelmed by any system at this point in his career. Of course, it's also odd Shanahan insisted on something his quarterback evidently wasn't comfortable with. The sides need to get on the same page this offseason. The Falcons' offense, which needed to carry the team, wasn't close to good enough in 2015.
Source: ESPN.com