Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

FCS Championship: North Dakota State vs. Jacksonville State

January 9th in Frisco, Texas.

It's Jacksonville, Alabama. Not Florida. Jacksonville State played Auburn close earlier this season. This should be a great championship game, especially if Wentz can play and doesn't show too much rust.

You really think they'd throw Wentz in there for the Championship? I'd keep his backup in regardless of Wentz's health.

You really think they'd throw Wentz in there for the Championship? I'd keep his backup in regardless of Wentz's health.

The backup hasn't been as good as their winning streak implies. He can't throw like Wentz.

The backup hasn't been as good as their winning streak implies. He can't throw like Wentz.

Well you would know the team much better than I do, but I just find it crazy to switch QBs after rolling with one throughout most of the season. To me it seems like you could throw off the entire rhythm of the offense.

Well you would know the team much better than I do, but I just find it crazy to switch QBs after rolling with one throughout most of the season. To me it seems like you could throw off the entire rhythm of the offense.

Here's my breakdown of NDSU's season in 2015:

1. They planned on showcasing Wentz because it would have been ridiculous not to considering how crazy good he is, and he was spectacular before he got injured, but they lost two games because all of their receivers are possession receivers. Their fast guys are too small. They're big guys are too slow. They lost to Montana because Montana had big, fast receivers who could outjump NDSU's young secondary (the secondary improved greatly during the season, leading to a 37-6 NDSU romp in the rematch). They lost to South Dakota because Wentz broke his throwing wrist but decided to be a tough guy and finish the game when he really should have been truthful about how much pain he was in. He wasn't the same for 2.5 quarters and South Dakota pulled off the upset in the Dome. Before his injury, Wentz had accounted for 20 TDs and less than 5 turnovers (I think--I can't find his fumble stats anywhere) through 6 games.

2, Due to featuring Wentz, the running game was never really solidified, which was part of the problem.

3. Enter Easton Stick--redshirt freshman so NDSU reverts back to grind it out offense focusing on running the ball, which leads to King Frazier earning the lead back roll with Lance Dunn and Bruce Anderson getting a handful of touches apiece due to their elusiveness and speed. Chase Morlock had a bum ankle throughout the season so he only recent started getting more touches again. Anyway--the Bison have 4 really good running backs all with varying styles of play and speed.

4. Due to more focus on running the ball, the passing game opens up more for NDSU's sub-par receivers. I know they recruit receivers who can do everything but you can't tell me they can't get better pass catching receivers after 4 straight National Championships. WR is easily NDSU's weakest position.

Anyway, the record is due to a focus on shortening the game with running the ball and allowing their defense to rest more and get better. Stick hasn't really provided anything outstanding with the exception of his running ability, where he has a handful of touchdowns. He just can't make all the throws Wentz can right now. He's got the arm, but he needs more time to develop. Nevertheless, the record is misleading in regard to QB play. Stick has been fine but the whole team has been better since the coaches had to revert back to grind it out football.

Edited by BwareDWare94

THE UNPRECEDENTED 5-PEAT!

Seriously, Jacksonville State?

This is what the committee gets for putting all 5 Missouri Valley Football Conference playoff teams into one side of the bracket--a shitty championship game. The MVFC is by and far the best conference in the FCS and if they want to guarantee a great championship game, they need to split those teams up. That way they know that if another conference beats the MVFC and gets to the championship game, they're the real deal. This J State team would have lost to UNI, Illiniois State, and SDSU. Pathetic.

Congrats Bwur

Wentz sux

ROFL. Best QB in the nation. Too many intangibles, too much physical ability. Every small issue he does have can be ironed out very quickly with his willingness to learn.

Imagine if this dude had had some receivers? Every single NDSU receiver is a possession receiver. The big guys are slow. The fast guys are small. If he'd have had J-State's WRs today in Barge and (was it Gonzales?), they'd have won by 50.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Kind of a bad look for FCS football if you have a team winning 5 straight consecutive championships...

Kind of a bad look for FCS football if you have a team winning 5 straight consecutive championships...

Like I said, one conference is miles ahead of the others and the committee put all of those teams in one bracket, leading to this demolishing in the Championship game.

The scariest team from down south is Coastal Carolina, and they got knocked out early somehow.

ROFL. Best QB in the nation. Too many intangibles, too much physical ability. Every small issue he does have can be ironed out very quickly with his willingness to learn.

Imagine if this dude had had some receivers? Every single NDSU receiver is a possession receiver. The big guys are slow. The fast guys are small. If he'd have had J-State's WRs today in Barge and (was it Gonzales?), they'd have won by 50.

Best QB in the nation is a bit of a stretch. Maybe 5th or so. But I was just fucking around you already know my stance on Wentz. Also remember that while he does have mediocre receivers he is playing mediocre opposition.