Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Really cool write-up on Bama's onside kick

How Alabama exploited a tiny Clemson error into the Championship's deciding play - SBNation.com

it's worth reading the full write-up, it's a pretty cool breakdown of what seems like a really small piece of gameplanning that ended up having a huge impact on the outcome of the national title game, the short version is that someone at Alabama noticed that Clemson's return team lined up really tight for directional kick-offs which left a lot of space open to the off side, you could tell they'd practiced the play, but it's interesting to see that they ran it in response to Clemson's formation

• Upvote 1

That's very interesting and just shows the game turned on what I said in the shoutbox: Bama outcoached them. Clemson was Bama's equal on the field, but not in the preparation room.

• Upvote 2

That's very interesting and just shows the game turned on what I said in the shoutbox: Bama outcoached them. Clemson was Bama's equal on the field, but not in the preparation room.

Said that too...and that's the thing that makes Saban a legendary coach, preparation.

I also thought Kiffin's call on that 2nd and 13 was brilliant which was in the end...the dagger, of course the Clemson guy missed the tackle on Howard but still...great play call. Redemption for him.

I do have a question. I was wondering why he didn't fair catch it, (the Clemson player that is), and I found out two interesting rules in college:

1. The ball must be within a 1 yard radius of the player in order to fair catch it on a kickoff- obviously you can fair catch before, but you must be able to get within 1 yard of the ball prior to it hitting the ground to call a fair catch

And

2. You can still fair catch a kick off *even if its bounced into the ground* so long as there is "enough" height given to the ball.

Do both those rules hold true in the NFL as well, or is that just college?