Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Packers @ Cards

(AP) -- The confident Arizona Cardinals are prepared to face a much tougher challenge this weekend than they did in last month's meeting with Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers.

Following the winningest regular season in franchise history, the Cardinals host the motivated Packers in Saturday night's NFC divisional matchup.

Arizona extended its winning streak to nine with a 38-8 home rout of Green Bay on Dec. 27. It recorded more sacks (nine) than points allowed and held the Packers to 178 yards - their second-lowest total of the season. The Cardinals also scored twice on defense in one of their most dominant efforts of 2015 and perhaps Green Bay's worst.

But after the Packers overcame an 11-0 deficit to win 35-18 at Washington in Sunday's wild-card round, the Cardinals' eyes were opened.

"We know Aaron is probably licking his chops wanting to play us again," cornerback Jerraud Powers, who took a Rodgers fumble back seven yards for a TD in December, told the Cardinals' official website.

The Packers signal-caller wasn't as colorful in his description of the rematch, but no less confident.

"We kind of felt like this was a possibility to be able to go back there after that loss," said Rodgers, who was sacked eight times and threw for 151 yards at Arizona. "We're coming off, obviously, a big win, and in (the Cardinals') last game they got beat by a lot. So it's going to be a more competitive game, I bet."

Green Bay scored 14 more points at Washington than it did in losing the previous two games to the Cardinals and Minnesota.

"It's huge for us," said Rodgers, who threw two TDs without an interception, was sacked once and backed by 141 yards from the running game. "We needed a game like this to get our mojo back and get our confidence going."

Though personnel issues still linger on the offensive line and receiver Davante Adams (knee) won't play, coach Mike McCarthy is similarly confident.

"We're no underdog going to Arizona," he said. "I don't care what people think or how we're picked or things like that. We're going out there to win, and we expect to win."

The Cardinals are ready for the challenge.

"We believe that if we play our game," receiver Larry Fitzgerald said, "we can beat anybody."

A franchise-record 13 wins gave Arizona the West Division title, the second seed in the conference and a first-round bye. With Carson Palmer injured and third-stringer Ryan Lindley under center, the Cardinals lost 27-16 on the road to Carolina in last season's wild-card round.

However, they're 4-0 at home in the postseason and beat Green Bay 51-45 in overtime in their most recent meeting in the desert during the 2009 season. Rodgers threw for 423 yards, four TDs and an INT in his first playoff start but was sacked and lost the ball, with Karlos Dansby picking it up and running 17 yards with for the winning score.

Rodgers has enjoyed much more postseason success since, and the Cardinals expect to get his best. They also expect to play better than they did in a 36-6 home defeat to Seattle in the regular-season finale.

With its playoff position locked in, Arizona had little on the line. Coach Bruce Arians didn't make anything of an outcome that ended that nine-game run.

"We had a very great stretch and now I see the same thing in their eyes," Arians said. "There's something to play for. There's something to prepare for, just like we did for nine weeks."

After setting franchise records with 4,671 passing yards and 35 TDs, the 36-year old Palmer tries a third time for his first playoff win. He leads a team that ranked first in total offense at 408.3 yards per game and second in scoring at 30.6 points.

Palmer was 18 of 27 for 265 yards with two TDs and one INT against the Packers last month.

"He's extremely excited and raring to go," Arians said.

The Packers sacked Palmer twice, but recorded six against the Redskins.

"(Defensive coordinator Dom Capers) always had good outside pass rushers, and inside guys now that are very disruptive," Arians told the Packers' official website. "Then you've got to handle the fire zones, too. It's a challenge."

Arizona's Michael Floyd caught six passes for 111 yards and 1,000-yard receivers Fitzgerald and John Brown each scored against Green Bay. Rookie running back David Johnson had 127 rushing and receiving yards and scored one of his 13 TDs in that contest.

"Guys just can't wait to be in our home stadium (Saturday)," Powers said.

Fellow starters linebacker Alex Okafor (toe) and defensive tackle Cory Redding (ankle) are out for the rest of the postseason due to injuries. Redding returned a fumble 36 yards for a TD against Green Bay.

Veteran Jason Babin was brought in to help replace Okafor, who apparently suffered a non-football related injury during the off week.

"It's real tough," linebacker Sean Witherspoon said of losing a player with the team not playing. "You didn't plan for that at all. It puts our (general manager) and our coach in a bind."

The Cardinals won't feel sorry for themselves.

"(Green Bay) will be better (than last time)," linebacker Markus Golden said. "And we will be ready."

Packers tight end Andrew Quarless is also out.

This week we get the answer to the question of whether or not the Packers are back or if they're here just because they played the Redskins last week.

Edited by Vin

I don't feel like anyone on God's green earth is giving Green Bay much of a shot.

I'm not sure why.

:Cardinals: 27

:Packers: 23

I think last week was a combination of playing a bit better on offense and... just playing Washington. But with that said Kirk Cousins was one of the best QBs in the 2nd half of the season and our defense completely shut him down. Now, stopping Carson Palmer is going to be a lot more difficult. And the Cardinals offense is all around more dangerous...

And ya, I don't think anyone is giving the Packers a chance. Even I am sitting here not really expecting a lot. I remain hopeful and optimistic in a "im a fan" kind of way.. So I will say we win. But in reality I will not be shocked if we lose or if the Cardinals take it relatively easily. They are a better team all around right now and they are better coached. BUt hey... All I want is to be better tomorrow.

The Cardinals just seem really poised to do big things. We will see how the off week affected them.

Packers - 27

Cardinals - 24

The Cardinals are gonna be at a serious disadvantage here, I have a feeling they've bought into their own hype too much, expecting the Packers to roll over like they did Week 16 and not come out hungry for it. Packers will take the game to them early and will not relent until the Cardinals are out of it.

:Packers: 44

:Cardinals: 31

• Upvote 1

The Cardinals are gonna be at a serious disadvantage here, I have a feeling they've bought into their own hype too much, expecting the Packers to roll over like they did Week 16 and not come out hungry for it. Packers will take the game to them early and will not relent until the Cardinals are out of it.

I like your optimism but do not like your jinx. I see what you are doing.

I just don't know what to think about this one. Green Bay pretty much had a first round bye thanks to a shitty division winner led by a quarterback who is only not shitty against bad teams, so of course he folded against a good team in the playoffs, but the Honey Badger is a gigantic loss to an already overrated Cardinals secondary. You take away their ball hawk and they're really vulnerable, in my opinion. It all comes down to pass rush. If Green Bay can limit sacks, they will win this game. If Arizona gets to Rodgers at least 4-5 times, they should win this game.

All things considered, I actually like Green Bay to pull this off. Looks like a classic trap game for the Cardinals.

:Packers: 30

:Cardinals: 24

Packers declared WR Davante Adams, QB Brett Hundley, CB Daniel Robertson, CB LaDarius Gunter, RB John Crockett, LB Andy Mulumba and G Josh Walker inactive for their Divisional Round game against the Cardinals.

Adams suffered a sprained MCL in the Wild Card win and did not see any practice time this week. Even if the Packers manage to advance, Adams would be questionable at best for the NFC Championship. Jared Abbrederis should play the majority of the snaps with Adams out.

Cardinals declared RB Kerwynn Williams, DT Red Bryant, QB Matt Barkley, CB Corey White, LB Shaq Riddick, OT D.J. Humphries and DT Xavier Williams inactive for their Divisional Round game against the Packers.

Both Williams and Bryant played a role down the stretch, but neither is needed anymore with the Cardinals returning to full health.

I mean... I was right about a few things, but the Cardinals were never out of it so the Packers didn't win.

pfffft holy shit what a game.

I don't really know how to feel. We actually put up a fight. If you would have told me those stats before the game, I would have probably told you the Packers win... Cards pass rush didn't completely hit home. Packers forced more turnovers.. Jeff Janis and Abby were options for us. Eddy Lacy had a big run..

Like I said, I just don't know how to feel. I just wonder if i would have rather gotten embarrassed. I think I should be feeling hurt or pain.. but it's more just numb. Haha.

Onto the draft.

It was a crazy game and not sure how to feel about it either. Being down to our 6th and 7th string WRs, who had 11 catches combined during the regular season was ridiculous. The defense played great for the 1st half and had its ups and downs in the 2nd. Switching to a zone D did not help at all during the 2nd half. There were a lot of missed opportunities and some crazy luck from the Cards on that go ahead TD drive.

Still a really young team and with some improvement at LT and ILB, going to come back strong next season.

I really need Ted Thompson to branch out though. The team has the potential to be really good. But it's time he goes and gets somebody in free agency. I am not saying ditch the draft, I am not saying spend all of the cap space... But there are game changers available at our positions of need.

And also... playing the Cardinals in the playoffs should never happen again.

Ya a big FA acquisition could help a lot. Doesn't have to be a star but a sure player would be great. Someone like Sean Weatherspoon or Danny Trevathan would be a huge boost to the weakest spot on the defense. Also need to make sure we re-sign some of our key role players.

Ya a big FA acquisition could help a lot. Doesn't have to be a star but a sure player would be great. Someone like Sean Weatherspoon or Danny Trevathan would be a huge boost to the weakest spot on the defense. Also need to make sure we re-sign some of our key role players.

Here are our FAs ( I think this is updated ) ... Who do you want back?

K Mason Crosby

RB James Starks

OT Don Barclay

TE Andrew Quarless

QB Scott Tolzien

FB John Kuhn

LS Brett Goode

OL Lane Taylor (restricted)

NT B.J. Raji

LB Mike Neal

DT Letroy Guion

CB Casey Hayward

LB Nick Perry

LB Andy Mulumba (restricted)

S Chris Banjo (exclusive rights)

I want..... Banjo, Perry, Neal, Raji, & Crosby. I would say Hayward as well, but the Packers have some real studs at CB, mostly from the draft last year, and it seems like they were preparing for life without Casey. And with the way those guys played, I am okay with that -- even though I still think he is a good player

Packers in 2016 are about to field whites only at WR.

Jordy, Janis, and Abrederris or w/e his name is.

Didn't see the game but I'm def going to have to watch it in full later.

James Jones is fine as the token black guy, they have to dump Davante though.

K Mason Crosby

RB James Starks

OT Don Barclay

TE Andrew Quarless

QB Scott Tolzien

FB John Kuhn

LS Brett Goode

OL Lane Taylor (restricted)

NT B.J. Raji

LB Mike Neal

DT Letroy Guion

CB Casey Hayward

LB Nick Perry

LB Andy Mulumba (restricted)

S Chris Banjo (exclusive rights)

You should want the bolded guys back and the bottom two really shouldn't go anywhere. Starks would be fine if he doesn't demand much money but John Crockett is more than ready for some carries. Quarless isn't bad but he's not good, either. Tolzien is an OK backup but he's not going to win you any games. Really no reason to keep him around. Guion can be good in spurts but most of the time he's nothing special, and his off-field history might not be worth much of an investment.

I'm wanting Starks, Crosby, Neal, Raji, Banjo and Kuhn back at least. Perry is a hard decision as he has done nothing until this season and I'm afraid he is going to want to be paid now. It also comes down to our LB situation and if we want to move Matthews back out to OLB or not. Hayward has definitely turned it on in the last half of the season but I see Rollins as basically replacing him while Shields and Randall will be our outside corners. Barclay should be retained for cheap as a backup unless we go out and get another tackle.

I also feel bad for Jones as I can't really see us keeping him with a healthy WR corps unless we give up on Davante.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

You should want the bolded guys back and the bottom two really shouldn't go anywhere. Starks would be fine if he doesn't demand much money but John Crockett is more than ready for some carries. Quarless isn't bad but he's not good, either. Tolzien is an OK backup but he's not going to win you any games. Really no reason to keep him around. Guion can be good in spurts but most of the time he's nothing special, and his off-field history might not be worth much of an investment.

Like I mentioned, you can tell the direction Ted wants to move by looking at the previous years draft. I love Casey. Been a huge fan of his for a long time, ever since we drafted him. But, the Packers picked up 3 rookie corners and they've played well too. And Casey could easily get paid Davon House money or maybe a bit less. At the worst, Casey is a top tier slot corner and I doubt we pay him with the success of Randall and Rollins. Wouldn't be shocked to see him in Giants blue.

Also, I love Kuhn.. But the Packers drafted one of FOUR fullbacks in the 2015 draft and he looks... Good. It's a business and I was honestly a little surprised Kuhn even was back this year. I don't think he makes it on the roster in 2016 unless Ripkowski completely vanishes. And we can't afford carrying 2 FBs again.

Starks is another guy... I love him. He's easily one of the best backup backs in the league, IMO. He fumbled way too much this year, but he gained over 990 yards from scrimmage at age 29. John Crockett proved he can do some of the similar things. I say Starks is gone entering his year 30 season, we draft another back in the middle rounds to be the 3rd guy / just in case Lacy doesn't pan out or keeps getting fatter.

We shall see though. A lot can change.