oochymp

Super Bowl L

Peyton gonna win the SB and retire on top. #NFLriggedconfirmed.

• Upvote 2

1) No, the two scenarios weren't the same. Carolina was the favorite. A lot of people were saying Arizona was going to win, but just as many if not more people thought Carolina would win. Denver was at home and New England was favored to win lol. The majority of fans out there believed that game was going to be a blowout.

I know you love to play the "Carolina gets no respect" card, but it doesn't apply here. The predictions going into championship weekend weren't the same...at all.

2) I wouldn't say it's entirely false. Of course the balanced team usually wins, but the team with the better defense usually wins, too. Most of the time they go hand in hand. I already stated that it's a little different in this case since Carolina's defense is really good.

3) Denver is #1 in overall defense. Seattle's defense is great, but I still think Denver will be the best defense they have faced this season.

1) I think you missed the point here. My point is that New England's problem in Denver stemmed from only having a pass game. It was amazing it worked as long as it did, frankly. Their offensive line is the second worst in the league at pass blocking. Carolina? #4. Everything the Broncos did to New England will not work in the same way against Carolina. What Denver did to NE is irrelevant because NE is such a different team than the Panthers offensively.

The predictions that I saw on NFL was about 60% Carolina/40% Arizona. Denver was about an 80-20 underdog. I'm not saying NE wasn't expected to beat the Broncos ass, because they were; just that I feel like it doesn't really matter.

2) New England beat Seattle because their offense scored 14 points on the #1 defense in the league in the 4th AND because their defense made a goal-line stop when it mattered. Balance > Purely defense, which is all Denver has.

3) Perhaps, but Carolina has played 4 teams this year in the top 10 in defense and has won all those games by an average of 10 points.

Regardless, I do think Denver can slow the Panthers offense, what I question is whether Old Man Peyton can put up literally anything against Carolina's defense.

What Denver did to NE is irrelevant because NE is such a different team than the Panthers offensively.

but what Denver did to NE was so much different from what they did the rest of the season, so it's going to be really interesting to see how Denver defends against Cam Newton, because it might also be something we haven't seen from them

but what Denver did to NE was so much different from what they did the rest of the season, so it's going to be really interesting to see how Denver defends against Cam Newton, because it might also be something we haven't seen from them

Oh most certainly. Wade Phillips is too good of a DC to go in with the same plan. One of my friends, (Panthers fan) was like, "If Phillips tries that rush against Cam, he will kill them with his legs."

It's like, Well, d'oh? But he's not going to do that.

Wade hasn't done well against mobile QBs, according to Fart, so we'll see. I'm betting Denver D vs Panthers O is a slugfest. Its the Broncos offense that is completely outmatched.

Cam obviously isn't a thug and anyone who thinks he is a thug is without a doubt an idiot and very likely a racist.

Honestly who gives a flying fuck? He's a football player who likes to celebrate. Nobody gives a shit if there wasn't media hype around the THUG shit.

I am so glad Byron Bell is gone, lol.

Brilliant pass blocking, I don't think he knew what was happening until Cam hit the turf, and then he got in his stance lol.

That was in 2012 lol. No bearing whatsoever.

It's still got damn hilarious.

What I take into the game is, looking back through the end of the season:

NE was supposed to destroy us.

Cincy was supposed to destroy us.

Pittsburgh was supposed to destroy us.

NE was supposed to destroy us again.

Playing the obvious underdog is exactly how I want the guys to feel going into the superbowl.

PertinentHighlevelFlickertailsquirrel.gi

Not shown: Tony Carter's superman pose.

Edited by theMileHighGuy

vV561Zd.jpg

Denver had 45.9 percent of its offensive and defensive snaps from free agents this season, the highest percentage for any Super Bowl team since 2006. The Panthers surprisingly come in second at 37.8 percent

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/14650837/how-denver-carolina-gambled-free-agents-worked-nfl

Edited by Zack_of_Steel
  • Upvote 1

I really don't know who told you that a Steelers squad minus AB and D-Will were "going to destroy you". The Broncos were touchdown favorites in the playoff game. Seen several Denver fans pulling that card and its just plain false.

Note that when they had AB, they did in fact win the game. Even in Mile High. And if D-Will and AB are in that game, they probably do win a second time as well.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

1) A lot of people were saying Arizona was going to beat Carolina too. Both these teams have been underappreciated all year given their records. The issue with New England is that they were completely one-dimensional. They had the pass game, but absolutely zero run-game. If the Pats have Dion Lewis, or even LeGarrette Blount, and could have any sort of run-game whatsoever, they win that game.

Would you disagree that while the Panthers looked good, the Cardinals completely shit the bed last weekend? That was not the Arizona team we saw all season.

I'd argue it was. The Cards were very up and down.

Just moreso up than down, but they were very capable of playing like that. Their D-line gets no pressure against good teams and their O-line gets destroyed by a good team.

Thus their issues with Seattle, St. Louis, and Carolina. Pittsburgh and San Fran was more them just playing poorly. The Car/STL/Sea games were about a physical D-line and O-line imposing their will on the Cards, (not so much the O-line for the Hawks, but you get my point).

Carolina would beat Arizona 9 out of 10 times. They simply don't match up well.

For the record, if Seattle had beaten us, they would have handled the Cardinals nearly as easily. They might have had some issues on the offensive line side of things, but they would have murdered the Cardinals when Seattle was on defense.

Carolina would beat Arizona 9 out of 10 times. They simply don't match up well.

Probably true, but most of the games would not be 49-15

1) I think you missed the point here. My point is that New England's problem in Denver stemmed from only having a pass game. It was amazing it worked as long as it did, frankly. Their offensive line is the second worst in the league at pass blocking. Carolina? #4. Everything the Broncos did to New England will not work in the same way against Carolina. What Denver did to NE is irrelevant because NE is such a different team than the Panthers offensively.

The predictions that I saw on NFL was about 60% Carolina/40% Arizona. Denver was about an 80-20 underdog. I'm not saying NE wasn't expected to beat the Broncos ass, because they were; just that I feel like it doesn't really matter.

2) New England beat Seattle because their offense scored 14 points on the #1 defense in the league in the 4th AND because their defense made a goal-line stop when it mattered. Balance > Purely defense, which is all Denver has.

3) Perhaps, but Carolina has played 4 teams this year in the top 10 in defense and has won all those games by an average of 10 points.

Regardless, I do think Denver can slow the Panthers offense, what I question is whether Old Man Peyton can put up literally anything against Carolina's defense.

I'm fine with your 2nd and 3rd points. Nothing more needs to be said really.

You're missing what I'm saying though about my first point. You're analyzing the matchup trying to break it down on the football field - which is fine - but I'm not trying to do that. Similar to MHG's post above, I'm looking at the underdog factor. Denver should have been blown out a couple times now according to the majority, but they keep winning. My prediction is that the same thing happens in this game.

That's the beauty, or some would say ugly side, of sports. Fans, experts, and analysts can make all of their predictions based on statistics, matchups, etc, yet in the first five minutes of a game all of that can be completely thrown out the window.

I'm fine with your 2nd and 3rd points. Nothing more needs to be said really.

You're missing what I'm saying though about my first point. You're analyzing the matchup trying to break it down on the football field - which is fine - but I'm not trying to do that. Similar to MHG's post above, I'm looking at the underdog factor. Denver should have been blown out a couple times now according to the majority, but they keep winning. My prediction is that the same thing happens in this game.

That's the beauty, or some would say ugly side, of sports. Fans, experts, and analysts can make all of their predictions based on statistics, matchups, etc, yet in the first five minutes of a game all of that can be completely thrown out the window.

Fair enough. As a fan I am very much nervous, to be sure. The Panthers do have the better overall team, I think, but that does not mean they will win. Denver is more than capable of pulling the upset.

It's the only way the Broncos would get into the endzone.

It's the only way the Broncos would get into the endzone.

Don't rule out a safety

• Upvote 2

After the Broncos plane landed in California, one of the comments said

"It'll be the last time they touch down until they are back in Denver."

20160201__NEWTONPANTS-0201~1.JPG

Now leaning more towards betting Denver ML more than ever now....

from ESPN on Twitter (for some reason the link stopped working):

CaOWdyAUsAAJzjm.jpg

considering there are only 8 of them currently playing that's an interesting stat

Edited by oochymp

Fun Fact: The Panthers have gone 17-1 this season.

• Upvote 1

Fun Fact: The Panthers have gone 17-1 this season.

yeah, I pretty much ignored the record against part of that, I just think it's interesting that they will have played five of eight Super Bowl winning QBs, then again, assuming I'm counting right, they've played 16 different teams this year (14 different in the regular season + two new teams in the playoffs since they played Seattle in the regular season) so I guess it's not that far off of the expected value, though they did play all four of the NFC's Super Bowl winning QBs