oochymp

Super Bowl L

20160201__NEWTONPANTS-0201~1.JPG

Now leaning more towards betting Denver ML more than ever now....

God those things are hideous lol.

Deion gave him another pair too, in case he was looking for one because somehow they are sold out. I will never understand fashion trends lmao.

Matchups and Prediction

QB: :panthers: No question at all. Cam Newton is significantly better than Peyton Manning, who was one of the worst QBs in the NFL this year. Cam is going to be MVP for a reason.

RB: :panthers: Jonathan Stewart is a great runner when healthy, and the Panthers run game is the best in the NFL. Denver's run game took awhile to get going and CJ Anderson/Ronnie Hillman are simply not as good as J-Stew.

WR: :Broncos: Panthers wideouts are not the reason this team has gotten this far. They are great in combination but they lack in individual talent. Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders alone make this Broncos group better.

TE: :panthers: Greg Olsen is the second best tight end in the league, behind only Gronk. Owen Daniels is a serviceable starter. There's no contest here. I think I might take take Carolina's 2nd TE, Ed Dickson, over Owen.

O-Line: :panthers: The Broncos O-line is, well, pretty bad. Carolina's has been excellent this year in both phases.

D-Line: :Broncos: This is the closest matchup by far. The Panthers have the edge in the middle with Short and Star, but the Broncos will use Ware and Miller on the outside rushing. In essence, Short and Star are cancelled out by Von and Demarcus, and Malik Jackson and Derek Wolfe are better players than any combination of CJ, Jared Allen, and Kony Ealy.

LB: :panthers: Another close matchup. But Luke Kuechly, Thomas Davis, and Shaq Thompson are simply too good of a overall threesome. Danny Trevathan and Brandon Marshall are fantastic, but simply not at the same level.

Secondary: :Broncos: The Broncos have Chris Harris and Aqib Talib in the secondary as starting corners. While I would take Josh Norman over either of them, the Panthers second CB, (Cortland Finnegan? Robert McClain?), is nowhere near his counterpart's level. And then in the backend of the secondary, while Roman Harper/Tre Boston and Kurt Coleman have been great for the Panthers, Darien Stewart and TJ Ward are simply better players for Denver.

Coaching: :panthers: To me, this comes down to Mike Shula vs Rick Dennison. Wade Phillips has been a fantastic defensive coordinator, but Sean McDermott has been an equally impressive coordinator in his time in Charlotte. Gary Kubiak and Ron Rivera are both good head coaches- I don't think they'd be here if they weren't- but both have flaws. Ron seems to have lost his aggressive edge, and Kubes is starting Peyton Manning over Brock Osweiler. So the tiebreaker here is Shula vs Dennison. For all the flak I've given Shula in previous years, he has put it together in a big way this year and is definitely a major factor in the Panthers #1 scoring offense.

Special Teams: :Broncos: McManus has a great leg for a young kicker, but this basically comes down to the fact that Gano has missed several XPs and we've had four FGs blocked. That's a big concern and the Broncos ST have no such concern.

Denver has a fantastic defense, no doubt about that. A lot of Broncos fans keep pointing to 2013, and saying they are the Seahawks. This is not a good analogy. Seattle in 2013 did have the #1 defense and they were going against the #1 offense, but Denver had the 22nd ranked defense, and Seattle actually had a top-10 offense that year, which is something most people forget. (They were 9th. Not that they would have needed to score a point in that particular game.) If anything, Carolina is more like Seattle in this scenario, with the #6 ranked defense and #1 ranked scoring offense.

Carolina's defense is ranked 6th in the league, but there is a substantial gap between them and Denver in terms of yards per game. The equalizer is the Panthers incredible rate of forcing turnovers. (48 in 18 games, or just over 3 per game). They had the most turnovers forced in the league, and were #1 in takeaway/giveaway ratio. This directly played into Carolina being the #1 scoring offense.

Denver's offense is led by Peyton Manning, he of the noodly arm. While Peyton has a fantastic group of WRs to throw to, look for Carolina to take the ball away multiple times due to his inability to fit the ball into tight windows any longer. In order for Denver to have any shot in this game, CJ Anderson and Ronnie Hillman absolutely must get going against a ferocious Panthers interior. It might be better to try some sweeps and off-tackle runs to try to get their run-game going to take pressure off Peyton.

Carolina's offense is led by Cam Newton, who is one of the most ridiculously difficult players to defend in the NFL. If there is any one team that has the talent to do it, its Denver. Von Miller is going to have to play the game of his life to contain Cam. The Panthers offense has rushed for over 100 yards in 31 straight games. Their (previously much maligned) offensive line has been a huge part of that. I don't see that streak snapping, even against Denver. It's too hard to completely shut down Carolina's run-game.

The Panthers are the more complete team, and balanced teams should win more often than teams who are only great on one side of the ball. Any given Sunday still applies and the Broncos beat a lot of teams people said they wouldn't be able to in order to get to this point. But if both teams show up and play their best football, Carolina wins by multiple scores. Anyone who overlooks their opponent in the Super Bowl deserves to lose... but I really don't think this Carolina team will do that.

:panthers: 27

:Broncos: 13

Interesting little tid bits here...

When-under-pressure-1024x273.png

One-loss.png

So pretty much what this is saying is get pressure on Cam...and which Denver is more than capable of...and he'll be a rather mediocre QB for a little bit. It'll be an interesting game for sure, and for some reason I think Denver wins simply because of their defense.

that's interesting, but it doesn't include his rushing stats when pressured, also this chart is interesting:

One-loss.png

but the fact that most of the weeks don't line up makes me question it, week 12 they played @ Dallas, week 14 they played v. Atlanta, and week 6 they played @ Seattle, though they did play @ Atlanta week 16 and v. Philly week 7, which just makes it more confusing

Newton is the second best QB in the league when blitzed this year. The key is to get pressure on him without blitzing, which is basically impossible if the Panthers are going max protect, which they have been a lot.

The issue though, is still not Panthers O vs Denver's D. Denver will slow them down. The issue is the Broncos O vs the Panthers D. Peyton Manning threw 9 TDs to 17 INTs. He was second in the league in interceptions despite missing six games. Just don't see the Denver offense scoring enough to keep up, even with a Panthers offense that probably won't get to their scoring average of 31 points given the defense they are playing against.

Edited by Thanatos19

:panthers: 37

:Broncos: 20

Edited by Wolverines Need to Die

Gold. Just fucking brilliant, lol.

As much as I would enjoy watching Peyton succeed to culminate one of the better quarterback careers I've ever witnessed, I cannot envision a scenario in which Denver wins this.

:Broncos:

It just seems you are asking way too much of the Denver defense. It's quite impressive they were a #1 seed and beat a mostly healthy NE. For them to sustain success like that, like I said, you are asking the defense to play near perfect, allowing only a couple scores at most. Should Carolina ever get ahead I think it's over, because Peyton is not a quarterback that can lead a comeback anymore. For them to win they need defensive miracles such as sack-strips and INTs against a team that is very hard to do so against, and some special teams spark as well.

:panthers:

From Carolina's perspective, their work is cut out. I think they'll stop the run quite easily given who they have at LB and DT. The main concern they have is their #2 corner not getting burned to bits by Emmanuel Sanders and well, Peyton's 40 year old arm should make not getting beat deep not too big of an issue. This will be the biggest maturity make-or-break moment of Cam Newton's life. He'll need to play smart and expect that he is going to have to take sacks and throw the ball away at times, patiently waiting for his moment to get a glimpse of opportunity to make a big offensive splash under the most intense of lights.

-------------------------------------------------

At the end of the day, I think we'll be talking about a game that started out toe to toe, and while Denver set the tone defensively making it hard for the Panthers to score initially, all those extra little things Cam can do that Peyton can't made it that much more difficult of a day for Denver's defense to play as well as Carolina's will be able to against a brilliant, classy, but slightly disabled at this point QB.

:panthers: 26 :trophy:

:Broncos: 13

Edited by BC

I cannot envision a scenario in which Denver wins this.

Denver blowing out Carolina now imminent.

Upset city.

:Broncos: 23

:panthers: 20

Denver blowing out Carolina now imminent.

If we lose, I hope its by blowout. I can't handle another 3 point SB loss.

I apologize in advance if that happens because I will be one emo motherfucker for a couple of weeks.

While I can definitely envision a scenario in which Denver wins this, I agree with most of what BC said. Denver's D is going to have to play completely out of their minds and come up with some key turnovers inside the redzone or returned inside the redzone, (or just all the way to the endzone), in order to win this.

Edited by Thanatos19

Carolina pretty much got this.

Edited by Wolverines Need to Die

(AP) -- The most trying season of Peyton Manning's storied career could end up being his most rewarding. After 18 years in the NFL, it might also be his last.

For Cam Newton, his breakout fifth season may have signaled he's ready to take the torch from a guy like Manning and become one of the league's next great quarterbacks.

Though the imposing defenses of Manning's Denver Broncos and Newton's Carolina Panthers expect to play significant roles, the outcome of Super Bowl 50 could very well be determined by two stars - drafted No. 1 overall 13 years apart - at the opposite ends of their careers on Feb. 7 in Santa Clara, California.

"Oh, wow," said Newton, who turns 27 in May. "Playing 'The Sheriff.'"

It's a nickname Manning has quietly carried for years and is probably accurate. He's ruled the NFL for almost two decades and is its only five-time MVP.

Less than two months shy of 40, he'll be the oldest quarterback to start a Super Bowl while trying to become the first starting signal-caller to win the Lombardi Trophy with two teams.

"The big thing is we've got to win," said John Elway, the Broncos' general manager and executive vice president of football operations who quarterbacked the franchise to its only Super Bowl titles after the 1997 and '98 seasons. "It's going to be a tremendous add to Peyton's legacy, but also the Broncos' legacy, too."

Leading Denver to a record-tying eighth Super Bowl appearance, Manning said recently "I'd be lying if I said I'm not thinking about" this being his final season. When he greeted New England coach Bill Belichick at midfield after a 20-18 win in the AFC championship game, he was overheard saying "hey listen, this might be my last rodeo."

Perhaps that's why it was important for not only Manning to get back to the league's biggest game for a fourth time, but for his teammates to help get him there.

He was named MVP when Indianapolis beat Chicago in the Super Bowl following the '06 season, but he threw two touchdowns and three interceptions while losing his next two trips. His first with Denver two years ago was an embarrassing 43-8 loss to Seattle.

"I wanted to do it for Peyton," said linebacker Von Miller, who recorded 2 1/2 sacks and an interception in the conference title game.

Evening his Super Bowl record would be tremendously gratifying for Manning, who has endured plenty during a maddening 2015 campaign.

He was sidelined six weeks with a series of injuries, relegated to backup duty for the first time in his career and has vehemently denied a report linking him to the banned drug HGH that the league is currently investigating. Manning's nine touchdown passes and 67.9 passer rating through 10 regular-season games were also career lows, and the 17 interceptions were his most in four seasons with Denver.

An ailing body has prevented him from unleashing the deep ball like he once did, but he's just as prepared and intelligent while serving as more of a game manager.

"My role has been different and my contributions are different," said Manning, who threw two touchdowns against New England and hasn't been picked off in the postseason.

"But I'm fortunate and grateful that I have the opportunity to contribute still, in some way. And it's a great honor to be going back to the Super Bowl."

And one Manning's teammates appear ready to do anything for him to win.

"God couldn't have written the story any better for Peyton," defensive back Chris Harris Jr. said. "He gets hurt. Then they said he got HGH. And he loses his spot. He comes back. We're on our way to the Super Bowl. I can see a beautiful ending for Peyton."

A Panthers defense that led the NFL with 39 takeaways and forced seven of its nine postseason turnovers in a 49-15 rout of Arizona in the NFC title game might have something to say about that.

So too should Newton, the ringleader and catalyst of a team that lost once in the regular season and outscored Seattle and Arizona 55-7 in the first half during these playoffs. Carolina lost in its only other Super Bowl appearance, 32-29 to New England after the 2003 season.

"I keep saying it: We're not finished. We're not finished," Newton said.

The favorite to win his first MVP award, Newton went 30-31-1 in four seasons before setting career highs for touchdown passes (35) and passer rating (99.4). The 6-foot-5, 245-pound former Heisman Trophy winner threw a career-low 10 interceptions and rushed for 636 yards and 10 touchdowns.

"Super unique," Denver defensive back Aqib Talib said. "I've never seen anybody who is that size. He can sit in the pocket and throw it, and then he can run, run wide out. He probably could play any position in the NFL that you wanted to.

"He's definitely a unique player."

That's high praise coming from a member of a defense that led the NFL in average yards allowed (283.2), sacks (52), has yielded 34 points and 568 total yards in two playoff games, and hit Tom Brady 23 times in the conference title game.

Discipline might be the key to stopping Newton, who threw for 335 yards with two touchdowns and a pick and also rushed for 47 and two scores against the Cardinals.

"You can't rush timid because if you do that, he's one of those pocket quarterbacks that can get the ball deep down the field," said Broncos defensive end DeMarcus Ware, who has 1 1/2 sacks in the postseason. "You have to be able to get pressure on him, but you have to be decisive on how you're rushing. You can't be a wild rusher."

Newton threw two touchdowns but was intercepted twice and sacked seven times while Manning totaled 301 yards through the air to win their only previous meeting, 36-14 at Carolina on Nov. 11, 2012.

Newton's supporting cast, however, is more refined this time around.

Tight end Greg Olsen had a career-high 1,104 receiving yards in 2015 and has 190 with a touchdown on 12 catches in the playoffs. Jonathan Stewart has averaged 5.0 yards per carry while gaining 189 and scoring twice in the postseason.

Luke Kuechly led Carolina with 118 tackles and fellow Pro Bowl linebacker Thomas Davis (105) is expected to play despite undergoing surgery on a broken forearm. In his fourth season, Josh Norman has blossomed into one of the NFL's top lockdown corners.

"Do what you've done," said Panthers coach Ron Rivera, who won a Super Bowl as a player 30 years ago with the Bears. "Some of my experiences in coaching, you get to certain experiences like the playoffs, and sometimes you get a little bit of panic. Am I doing enough? Should I do more? Should I change this?

"I told our coordinators, 'We're going to stick to what got us to where we are.' We'll emphasize that to the players and make sure we keep our personality."

While Miller and Ware anchor Denver's stout defense, the Broncos likely need to get going with a ground game that's averaged 3.6 yards per carry and totaled 129 in the playoffs. Including the postseason, however, Carolina has allowed an average of 73 rushing yards in the last four games.

Manning also would like to get Demaryius Thomas more involved considering the sixth-year receiver has just six catches for 52 yards in this postseason. He caught nine for 135 against the Panthers in 2012.

After failing to win their last two trips to the Super Bowl, the Broncos also aren't satisfied with just getting there.

"You're the AFC champion, but now, to me, it's like what have you done for me lately?" Ware said. "I'm looking forward to the next game."

Win one for the PeyPey.

Edited by Vin
  • Upvote 1

It'll be 16-20 Carolina leading with a few minutes left and Denver having to drive down and win the game by a touchdown.

Denver 23

Carolina 20

Shocker

Literally don't care. I will update you all as if I am watching it or not tomorrow (later today). Meh.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I've pored over every scenario, stayed awake wondering if there was a way we could contain Cam Newton and Johnathan Stewart... and I couldn't think of anything. Stewart is basically Marshawn Lynch, he'll get you three yards when you need three yards, which makes second and third downs easy for Cam to either get 4 yards on a run or 40 on a pass, and he'll just have this option every single play. If the Panthers come in to this game the same way they came into every other game this season, they will put points up on our defense, and we can't be trusted to match that same output.

I'm sorry, you can't reverse jinx your way out of this.

Reverse jinx, nothing. The Panthers have no excuse to lose today.

Either you are fooling yourself or just trying to reverse jinx shit. Denver is a better team than you give them credit for and is more than capable of pulling off the upset.