Sign in to follow this  
Sarge

Mexican Supreme Court: Marijuana is a Human Right

The Mexican Supreme Court just declared marijuana a fundamental human right. In so doing, the court paved the way for nationwide cannabis legalization.

The court voted 4 to 1 against prohibition of marijuana. The court also determined that a person cultivation of marijuana is equally a human right.

Specifically, the Mexican Supreme Court ruled that marijuana prohibition “violates the right to free development of one’s personality.”

The Drug Policy Alliance stated on Wednesday, in a press release, that “this vote by Mexico’s Supreme Court is extraordinary for two reasons: it is being argued on human rights grounds and it is taking place in one of the countries that has suffered the most from the war on drugs.”

Hannah Hetzer, the Senior Policy Manager of the Americas for the Alliance, explained that “Uruguay became the first country to legalize marijuana, Canada is expected soon to follow suit, medical marijuana initiatives are spreading throughout Latin America and the Caribbean, and marijuana is legal in a number of U.S. states. Now with this landmark decision out of Mexico, it is clear that the Americas are leading the world in marijuana reform.”

Earlier this year, Mexico legalized medical marijuana for a patient, after her parents’ rights to treat her with cannabis, for herLennox-Gastaut Syndrome was granted with cannabidiol medication.

Mexico has been plagued with gang and cartel violence due to the illegality of marijuana and other drugs, which have been forced to the black market. Many suggest that legalizing marijuana will help reduce this crime by cutting off the revenue of the cartels. Do they have a point?

http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/11/mexicos-supreme-court-rules-is-a-human-right/

Thoughts?

Edited by Sarge

Pot should be legal, but something about calling it a "human right" seems incredibly melodramatic.

• Upvote 2

I don't think I'd say it's a human right. Much like it's not a human right to drink alcohol. The legalization itself is fine though.

How is it not a human right? If no one is being hurt but the user, it is indeed a right. We have just been denied rights in the name of morality for so long that we don't recognize them anymore.

How is it not a human right? If no one is being hurt but the user, it is indeed a right. We have just been denied rights in the name of morality for so long that we don't recognize them anymore.

A human right is a basic right that cannot be taken regardless of what happens. Freedom of speech is a human right, for example. If you consume marijuana and operate a vehicle or heavy machinery you should be stripped of your right to it, much like it is with alcohol.

• Upvote 1

But is there a fundamental right to hurt yourself? You might think so (and a lot of people would agree with you) but you are making that baseline assumption which a lot of people would disagree with.

It's my fundamental right to act as I please barring any sort of injury to another and face the consequences in my personal life as a result. The government should not be in the business of protecting me (or anyone )from myself.

• Upvote 1

A human right is a basic right that cannot be taken regardless of what happens. Freedom of speech is a human right, for example.

If you consume marijuana and operate a vehicle or heavy machinery you should be stripped of your right to it, much like it is with alcohol.

This has nothing to do with actions that may harm others though. Just as in your free speech example; if I use speech to incite a riot, I shall be punished.So too will I be punished if using any substance in a manner that would be a potential threat to someone's health or property.

Do you view the ability to consume alcohol as a human right?

Do you view the ability to consume alcohol as a human right?

It falls under the same inalienable right to live my life as I please.

I'd argue you have to distinguish what is a right and what is a privilege. A privilege can be taken away. A right is much more unbending.

Negative. We've surrendered our rights in the name of many things: safety, morality etc. The government does not grant rights though. They are inherent in your birth.

This should be applied to women.

This should be applied to women.

Lol. Everyone knows women aren't human. Edited by GA_Eagle
  • Upvote 2

Of course it's Mexico, of all places, that says a drug is a right.

Negative. We've surrendered our rights in the name of many things: safety, morality etc. The government does not grant rights though. They are inherent in your birth.

They government doesn't grant rights? In a world without government protection of rights I could break into your home and kidnap your family because it's my "right" and nothing would happen. The government protects basic human rights like the right to life and liberty. I wish you could say you were entitled to do whatever you want from birth, but in modern society it's just not the case.

I like how GA is saying that we are all given rights that shouldn't be infringed upon unless we hurt other people or their right. And then people try coming at him with "What If" scenarios involving hurting other people... lol, Reminds me of this video.

It's amazing how little people change in 30 years, isn't it?

• Upvote 1

They government doesn't grant rights? In a world without government protection of rights I could break into your home and kidnap your family because it's my "right" and nothing would happen. The government protects basic human rights like the right to life and liberty. I wish you could say you were entitled to do whatever you want from birth, but in modern society it's just not the case.

My argument does not apply to your scenario as involves harm to another. Life, LIBERTY and THE PURSUIT of HAPPINESS are the inalienable rights set forth in one of our most important government documents. The use of substances if you choose to falls under both of those capitalized rights.

We surrender parts of our rights but the government does not give them to you. You are born with them and we chose to surrender them in generations past. If we desire them back, as a state or nation, they are ours.

I'd argue the reason we have rights themselves is because of a stable government that protects them. Humans aren't born with rights. We've established the idea of rights and reinforced them. You think somebody in a third world nation who has their village destroyed thinks about how they were born with rights? It's a human concept.

• Upvote 1

Just so I'm clear. You don't think a person has rights unless they are bestowed by a governmental body?

That's kinda against what a human right actually is. They are rights that you have just because you exist as a human. That's why the UN (regardless of how effective the organization is) goes into countries that are infringing on people's rights in a horrific manner as matter of enforcing international law.

edit

I think we agree that one of the highest functions of a government would be protecting the rights in question. Protecting individual rights, and ensuring they are not infringed upon by another individual or entity is one of the main reasons we give government it's power, at least ideally.

Edited by GA_Eagle
  • Upvote 1