Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Jaylon Smith expected to miss entire 2016 season

Per Rotoworld.com:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Norte Dame LB Jaylon Smith is expected to miss the entire 2016 season.

It rules him out as a first-round pick. Smith is dealing with nerve damage in his knee/ankle. He's expected to redshirt as a rookie, but might never make a full recovery. A top-ten talent, Smith led Notre Dame in tackles the last two seasons. Feb 26 - 5:54 PM

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

JaylonSmith Good news: no more knee brace & walking. Bad news: wearing an AFO, indicates nerve issue. Too bad. Nerve doesn't turn on like a light switch. Very slow sunrise. May never get to high noon. Nerve- Good news: reported no nerve damage at surgery. Bad news: using AFO brace on left leg means nerve not fully functional. We can only hope that Jaylon Smith peroneal nerve "wakes up". What a shame for this great talent. Has to now recover from ligaments & nerve.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/703393985625100289

:(

Edited by CampinWithSquatCobbler

Finally, those in attendance when Jaylon Smith weighed in yesterday tell me his injured leg looked terrible when he stepped on the scale. Smith struggled moving the leg as well as controlling the leg. I was told it was a glum mood and there was a lot of sadness for Smith from the scouts and coaches on hand. From one source I heard, "I felt like crying for the kid." There are a number of teams who think Smith could fall into the draft's last day.

http://walterfootball.com/combine2016rumors_tony.php#iTL1UxZkhBBfqsTK.99

Yep, late round pick is very possible. Nerve might never wake up. Speaking as someone who's dealt with nerve injuries, one of which still has never woke up (nothing serious like Smith's with a limb though) it's maddening man.

This is messed up. Not really unexpected, but still messed up. Coach Kelly didn't sugar coat it when it happened, saying that it was significant. If it was your run of the mill ACL damage or something along those lines...the game before the off-season...he most def would not have classified it as such a bad injury.

I knew it would be bad. But Jaylon choosing to go pro gave me a small bit of hope that he knew it wasn't too bad. All I can say is in this day and age there is new technology and freak athletes who do the impossible. Jaylon is most def a freak. A kid from Indiana that I've seen play in HS. Breaks my heart.

Edited by butta54

Seems like every year 1 of the best defensive players in the draft get hurt.

2016 Jaylon Smith

2015 Ifo ekempru olmo CB

2014 Aaron Colvin cb

Edited by WeaponX20

Ifo ekempru olmo

If+that+happened+to+me+my+priority+would

The CB from Oregon b4 his injury was projected a top 15 pick

The CB from Oregon b4 his injury was projected a top 15 pick

Ifo ekempru olmo

If+that+happened+to+me+my+priority+would

• Upvote 1

The Philadelphia Daily News' Les Bowen reports Notre Dame LB Jaylon Smith's (ACL, LCL) medical recheck revealed he is still dealing with a "drop-foot problem."

Foot drop is the inability to lift the front part of the foot causing the toes to drag along the ground while walking. The issue suggests Smith is still dealing with nerve damage after tearing his ACL and LCL in the Fiesta Bowl. Already not expected to play in 2016, the problem at the very least casts doubt on Smith's ability to make a full recovery. It would be surprising if he came off the board in the first round.

:badass: