oochymp

March Madness

That Cuse comeback was amazing. It was funny how UVA beat the press consistently but weren't adept at making decisions on the fly in transition. Cuse gains the lead, immediately sits back in the 2-3 and Virginia forgets everything they were doing for the 30 minutes before that point to beat the zone. Craziness. What a game.

Virginia only had Perrantes going for them offensively. Defensively they were doing a great job taking away Cooney, but the turning point of the games was when Gill and Toby for Virginia both got in foul trouble. Roberson had a crazy amount of offensive rebounds and he was just a monster on the boards.

Malachi is streaky and he had a great time to go on fire, but it was interesting to see us bring out the press that confused UVA.

I guess I already clinched the TGP pool? :coffee:

If Oklahoma wins the Natty, I'll win my money pool which should be between $700-800. Best worst case scenario, I still come in the top 3 for a money spot, and I get to see my favorite team (UNC) win a National Championship.

Overall, this maybe the best tournament I've seen. No other postseason comes close to the NCAAT. NFL, NHL, NBA, etc none compare to college hoops in March.

Overall, this maybe the best tournament I've seen. No other postseason comes close to the NCAAT. NFL, NHL, NBA, etc none compare to college hoops in March.

:mjlaugh:

:mjlaugh:

NFL playoffs? I mean the games are pretty hit and miss now. Not what it used to be. But still my 2nd favorite postseason behind the NCAAs. NHL playoffs? It gets really watered down and dragged out lasting 2 entire months. I mean sure there's some great series, but there's also a handful of series that are shitty and end in a sweep or 5 games. Same shit goes for the NBA, except the NBA is awful in general to begin with and I can't be bothered with tuning into a game until it's the Finals. MLB playoffs? Actually, the MLB playoffs have been decently entertaining to me in recent memory despite the fact that baseball is way low on the totem pole for me. MLB does have a nice playoff structure (minus dumb play-in games) with it only lasting about a month.

• Upvote 1

NFL playoffs? I mean the games are pretty hit and miss now. Not what it used to be. But still my 2nd favorite postseason behind the NCAAs. NHL playoffs? It gets really watered down and dragged out lasting 2 entire months. I mean sure there's some great series, but there's also a handful of series that are shitty and end in a sweep or 5 games. Same shit goes for the NBA, except the NBA is awful in general to begin with and I can't be bothered with tuning into a game until it's the Finals. MLB playoffs? Actually, the MLB playoffs have been decently entertaining to me in recent memory despite the fact that baseball is way low on the totem pole for me. MLB does have a nice playoff structure (minus dumb play-in games) with it only lasting about a month.

Yeah but you could also say that a lot of these games have been blowouts. I do sort of agree though, NHL, NCAA, and MLB have the best playoffs IMO. NHL = #1 for me though

for entertainment value, sure, the NCAA Tournament is near, if not at, the top, but in terms of determining a champion I'd say the NCAA Basketball Tournament is probably the worst

for entertainment value, sure, the NCAA Tournament is near, if not at, the top, but in terms of determining a champion I'd say the NCAA Basketball Tournament is probably the worst

How so?

How so?

it's way too prone to fluky runs and about half of the teams involved have no business competing for the National Championship

take this year for instance, we've got a team right now that went .500 in their conference (good enough for tenth out of 15 teams) but got hot at the right time and is now two wins away from being the NCAA Champion, in what world does that make sense?

it's way too prone to fluky runs and about half of the teams involved have no business competing for the National Championship

take this year for instance, we've got a team right now that went .500 in their conference (good enough for tenth out of 15 teams) but got hot at the right time and is now two wins away from being the NCAA Champion, in what world does that make sense?

Because fluky runs and teams getting hot at the right time doesn't exist in other postseasons? lmao

Look at SB 46. You had the 9-7 Giants that looked like dog shit for most of the year beat a Patriots team that had the worst defense of all time. Giants and Pats were far from being the top two teams that season. And it wasn't that long ago that the 8th seed 2012 Kings won the Cup.

I tell you what, the NCAA tourney has LESS fluke championship runs than other sports. The champion is almost always one of the elite teams that season.

Let's look back...

2015: Duke (35-4), 1 seed

2014: UCONN (32-8), 7 seed

2013: Louisville (35-5), 1 seed

2012: Kentucky (38-2), 1 seed

2011: UCONN (32-9), 3 seed

2010: Duke (35-5), 1 seed

2009: UNC (33-4), 1 seed

2008: Kansas (37-3), 1 seed

2007: Florida (35-5), 1 seed

2006: Florida (33-6), 3 seed

2005: UNC (33-4), 1 seed

2004: UCONN (33-6), 2 seed

2003: Syracuse (30-5), 3 seed

2002: Maryland (32-4), 1 seed

2001: Duke (35-4), 1 seed

2000: Michigan State (32-7), 1 seed

Outside of 2014 UCONN (and they didn't even have double digit losses) and borderline 2011 UCONN, one of the top dogs wins the tourney, year in and year out.

Who gives a shit that Syracuse made it to the Final Four? 3/4 teams are elite and each held the #1 ranking at some point.

• Upvote 1

FWIW, I don't think the NFL playoffs are a great way to decide a champion either, or anything with a single-elimination format, but at least with football you have the excuse that series would take way too much time. I think the lack of true underdog winners says more about the lack of parity in NCAA Basketball than it does about the tournament. There's such a huge gap between the top 10-15 teams and everyone else that while many of those top teams will get knocked off well before they should one of them is still most likely to come out on top. Now look how they've done it, take UNC for example, the only remaining 1 seed in this year's tournament, the highest seed they've played is 5 seed Indiana, and look at how Syracuse made its run, they played teams seeded 7, 15, and 11 before their matchup with UVA. Sure, beating UVA took a great game and I don't want to take much away from that, but they had a cake walk thanks to Florida Gulf Coast eliminating 2 seed Michigan State and 3-seeded Utah losing to Gonzaga. At least in the NFL if you're gonna make a run from a low seed you're going through a gauntlet.

FWIW, I don't think the NFL playoffs are a great way to decide a champion either, or anything with a single-elimination format, but at least with football you have the excuse that series would take way too much time. I think the lack of true underdog winners says more about the lack of parity in NCAA Basketball than it does about the tournament. There's such a huge gap between the top 10-15 teams and everyone else that while many of those top teams will get knocked off well before they should one of them is still most likely to come out on top. Now look how they've done it, take UNC for example, the only remaining 1 seed in this year's tournament, the highest seed they've played is 5 seed Indiana, and look at how Syracuse made its run, they played teams seeded 7, 15, and 11 before their matchup with UVA. Sure, beating UVA took a great game and I don't want to take much away from that, but they had a cake walk thanks to Florida Gulf Coast eliminating 2 seed Michigan State and 3-seeded Utah losing to Gonzaga. At least in the NFL if you're gonna make a run from a low seed you're going through a gauntlet.

First you were saying there's often too many fluky runs in the NCAAT and now you're claiming there's a lack of parity? What is it, dude? LOL.

And Syracuse's road to the Final Four was a complete anomaly. You're trying to make it sound like any low seed that reaches the Final Four, usually gets by without playing a high seed.

7 seed 2014 UCONN played a 10 seed, 2 seed, 3 seed, 4 seed to get to the Final Four and beat a 1 seed and 2 seed to win it all.

First you were saying there's often too many fluky runs in the NCAAT and now you're claiming there's a lack of parity? What is it, dude? LOL.

different points, though I can see how my comments are a bit confusing so let me see if I can clarify:

The format itself is set up to create fluky runs, it's hard to deny that when the cinderella performances are a huge part of the draw (at least if you believe the advertising). That said, as you correctly pointed out, those fluky runs typically fall short of actually winning the championship, which is typically taken by one of the blue bloods and typically one that had a really strong season. However, the fact that the champion is typically a strong team has more to do with the lack of parity in college basketball than it does with the format of the tournament itself.

Simply put, I think there's more credibility in a champion who came out of a battle among the top 16 teams, constantly facing top-tier opposition than one who survived a cluster of 68 in a format that's designed to promote the success of mediocre teams in an atmosphere that encourages and celebrates the success of those mediocre teams even if the eventual champion is still typically a top 16 team.

Edited by oochymp

Oochy is simply salty his team got bounced by mine :smug:

my team didn't make the tournament this year :disgust:

in all honesty tho, if we end up with a Villanova v. Syracuse national title game I will probably pretend it's not happening

my team didn't make the tournament this year :disgust:

in all honesty tho, if we end up with a Villanova v. Syracuse national title game I will probably pretend it's not happening

Who is your team?

And no worries, Villanova vs Cuse would restore one of the better former Big East rivalries where we'd take care of business ;)

Who is your team?

Georgetown, which should explain the Villanova/Cuse hate

Georgetown, which should explain the Villanova/Cuse hate

I always liked you...

Can't say the same now :disgust:

Hell of a season.

I will never forget it. Short of a championship..but against all odds we prevailed and lost to the soon to be champions of UNC

Once again, nobody got the champion right (though I suppose we knew that before yesterday) we had six brackets in the top half of ESPN brackets (mine was not one of those) and our top bracket, BJGE (Phil?) ranked in the 95th percentile, well done overall

if anyone cares (which I'm sure they don't) I won the Second Chance group (of the four entries made) but nobody picked Villanova there either

CfP61d6WwAMZxF-.jpg

• Upvote 1

In. On another note, Northern Kentucky has a shot of getting in the tourney tonight. This is their first year being eligible since coming to D-1. :notbad:

• Upvote 1