Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Wild Speculation Thread

rumors or theories abound this time of year so I thought it might be fun to have a thread dedicated to all of the meaningless crap we can read into and crazy theories of where teams might be head (but almost certainly aren't)

To get us started, here's a picture of Joey Bosa's brother at the OSU pro day:

873fa1c9-e0b7-497a-bc15-524b5b8b36b8.jpg

It turns out the Robert Nkemdiche train is getting derailed fast due to character concerns and the marijuana issue. All the way to the second round even.

Don't have a legit source or anything, but one quick google lands tons of links discussing it.

It turns out the Robert Nkemdiche train is getting derailed fast due to character concerns and the marijuana issue. All the way to the second round even.

Don't have a legit source or anything, but one quick google lands tons of links discussing it.

He was already late first-early second

Unless someone takes a flier on him in the first. He disappointed on the edge, didn't show the top athleticism consistently in the middle, and he was not a hustle player at all. Teams were already luke warm on him.

He's 21 years old, and has all pro potential. Imo you draft a player based on potential, and he's got some of the highest of any player in this draft. I get the concerns, but, eh.

He's 21 years old, and has all pro potential. Imo you draft a player based on potential, and he's got some of the highest of any player in this draft. I get the concerns, but, eh.

I disagree, potential is definitely not the end all be all. You have to consider things like work ethic, character, and just overall risk...you're job is on the line especially when your team is picking in the top 10.

• Upvote 1

I disagree, potential is definitely not the end all be all. You have to consider things like work ethic, character, and just overall risk...you're job is on the line especially when your team is picking in the top 10.

I think character issues aside Nkemdiche has to fall into the right spot to be successful. Looking purely from a talent standpoint Nkemdiche is either a huge playmaker or a nonfactor. There is usually no in-between. He's an extremely talented guy but it only shows in burst. I don't know if San Diego would be the right fit for him. He'd be much better as a pure 4-3 DT pass rusher IMO.

• Upvote 1

When you reach a certain level of athleticism and overall ability, you are doing yourself a disservice in passing on a guy.

Simply put, he's too good to not at least be above average. We are talking about a guy who, at worst, is an above average player, and at best is one of the best linemen in the league. In a draft where there aren't that many players with superstar potential, that's huge.

Off the field he had one incident that would give people reason to pause, but this isn't a pattern thing. He's not constantly getting in trouble, this was a one time thing where a 21 year old college did something stupid.

I think character issues aside Nkemdiche has to fall into the right spot to be successful. Looking purely from a talent standpoint Nkemdiche is either a huge playmaker or a nonfactor. There is usually no in-between. He's an extremely talented guy but it only shows in burst. I don't know if San Diego would be the right fit for him. He'd be much better as a pure 4-3 DT pass rusher IMO.

The Chargers played a 3-4 defense last year that had more similarities to a 4-3 then an actual 3-4. The 5-tech would often slide in and rush on the outside gap of the guard, or heads up. If anything, it's almost perfect for Robert.

Also, when you have an elite talent who can be a legit playmaker, the great coaches change their scheme to accommodate the talent.

Again, I can understand the reasons why he'd slip but I don't agree with them. And I think this whole, "production" stuff is far too exaggerated and isn't really a true reflection his abilities (Not a criticism of you, but this whole process in general).

When you reach a certain level of athleticism and overall ability, you are doing yourself a disservice in passing on a guy.

Simply put, he's too good to not at least be above average. We are talking about a guy who, at worst, is an above average player, and at best is one of the best linemen in the league. In a draft where there aren't that many players with superstar potential, that's huge.

Off the field he had one incident that would give people reason to pause, but this isn't a pattern thing. He's not constantly getting in trouble, this was a one time thing where a 21 year old college did something stupid.

The Chargers played a 3-4 defense last year that had more similarities to a 4-3 then an actual 3-4. The 5-tech would often slide in and rush on the outside gap of the guard, or heads up. If anything, it's almost perfect for Robert.

Also, when you have an elite talent who can be a legit playmaker, the great coaches change their scheme to accommodate the talent.

Again, I can understand the reasons why he'd slip but I don't agree with them. And I think this whole, "production" stuff is far too exaggerated and isn't really a true reflection his abilities (Not a criticism of you, but this whole process in general).

I looked into the Chargers scheme a bit and saw some of those explanations on how it was more of a 4-3 than an actual 3-4. If that's the case then I can see the fit well. It was a broad statement about having to fit the scheme, and I wasn't nearly educated enough to make the call on if the Chargers were a good or bad place to go. Why I said I just wasn't sure. If the Chargers do rarely run a legitimate 3-4 then I can see it running smooth.

The criticisms on his actual production are just a baseline grade by myself. I judge players on their ability to produce coming out of college and I feel like I've hit the mark on that more than I've missed it. When you factor in a guy with Nkemdiche's potential it's a lot tougher to judge how the guy will pan out over the next few years in the league. If he didn't give it 100% in college that's coming out on the grade sheet, even if he would give it 100% in the pros. He is still #2 on my big board if I remember correctly, but as I said he has to go to the right situation to live up to that.

Yeah but when a similar prospect like Buckner is on the board..... who did produce more and who also is a high level athlete and isn't a red flag off of the field (I think Nkem's problems off of the field are a bit overblown but look at Josh Gordon)? :shrug:

FTR, I do like the Nkem pick overall.

Browns coach Hue Jackson raved about Cal QB Jared Goff at the NFL Owners Meetings.

"He can make all the throws. For a big guy, he's more athletic than people think. He has quick feet. He obviously has a quick release," Jackson said. "What I've seen on videotape to go along with the workout is he has tremendous poise in the pocket. He's a young man that can keep his eyes downfield when people are bearing at him and, to me, that's an unbelievable asset. Because a lot of people can't do that." The Browns are expected to take either Goff or North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz with the No. 2 overall pick.

Per Rotoworld.com:

One NFC executive said "Don't be surprised if a team like the Eagles makes a really strong move up the board" for North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz.

The Eagles made the Titans a huge offer last year in an effort to trade up for Marcus Mariota. That made sense given Chip Kelly's ties to Oregon. This does not. It would be a total head scratcher for Philadelphia to pursue Wentz after investing $57 million on Sam Bradford and Chase Daniel earlier this offseason. To land Wentz, the Eagles would probably have to leapfrog either the Browns or 49ers, who are both looking for new starting quarterbacks. Philadelphia acquired the No. 8 pick in the draft in a trade with Miami earlier this month. GM Howie Roseman has made plenty of bold moves this offseason but trading up for Wentz would top them all. Mar 23 - 6:59 PM

Source: NFL.com

Why resign Bradford if you're gonna try to make that leap? Just silly IMO. Worst case scenario if you can't get Wentz or Goff just settle for Paxton at #8.

Even if they can't get Wentz there isn't too many ways they can mess this draft up.

NFL.com's Gil Brandt called North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz's campus workout "one of the best Pro Days I've ever witnessed."

Brandt compared Wentz to Joe Flacco and noted he threw "two 55-yard passes that were as pretty as I've seen." Wentz completed 63-of-65 throws with one drop and one overthrow, per Brandt's account. The general feeling is Wentz is a virtual lock to go to Cleveland with the No. 2 overall pick, though that assumes another team won't trade up to No. 1 to leapfrog the Browns. And it also assumes the Browns have graded Wentz as No. 2-overall-pick caliber.

MMQB's Robert Klemko reports Penn State QB Christian Hackenberg blamed coach James Franklin for the sharp decline in his play as a sophomore and junior during his interviews with NFL teams.

Hackenberg looked like a first-round pick under Texans coach Bill O'Brien as a freshman, but he struggled mightily behind a terrible offensive line under Franklin the last two seasons. "Despite the fact that it’s probably true, you don’t want to hear a kid say that," an anonymous scout told Klemko. Hackenberg looks the part at 6'4, 223 pounds with good athleticism, but he is a slow processor with terrible awareness and inconsistent accuracy. He will likely come off the board on day two.
Source: MMQB

Don't know why everyone is upset that Hack would say that. If it's true it's true. He shouldn't undersell himself because he was ready to do more complicated shit than his coach understood.

The NFL doesn't want players calling out their coaches. If it happened in college, why wouldn't it happen in the pros? Even if it's true, you tell the scouts what they want to hear.

• Upvote 2

Ya, if you are quick to shift the blame at the college level... I wouldn't be the most comfortable when everything hits the fan in the pros. What is the excuse going to be when he plays poorly in the NFL? Who will he blame? How will you respond? Those are huge questions -- especially for the potential face of your franchise.

• Upvote 2

It's unfair for Hackenberg to shoulder the blame for one of the most atrocious lines out there and a coach who failed to utilize him right. If teams are scared of him they aren't confident enough in themselves.

Perception is reality, Cherry boy.