Sign in to follow this  
Bangy

Incredible pro day puts German Moritz Boehringer on NFL radar

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000649267/article/incredible-pro-day-puts-german-moritz-boehringer-on-nfl-radar

The hype train surrounding Moritz Boehringer was chugging along at a nice pace entering his pro day on Thursday. After an incredible workout in front of NFL scouts, that train is now in full runaway mode.

In a matter of hours, the wide receiver from Germany went from someone most outside the hardcore NFL scouting community had never heard of to a player some scouts now believe could be taken as high as the fourth round in the NFL draft.

Officially at Florida Atlantic's pro day, Boehringer ran a 4.43-second 40-yard dash, had a vertical of 39 inches, a 10-foot-11 broad jump, a 4.10-second short shuttle, 11.15-second 60-yard shuttle, and a 6.65-second three-cone drill that had scouts on the ground doing double-takes at their stopwatches, shaking their heads, and laughing. He also had 17 lifts on the bench press. All of these marks would have landed inside the top five among all wide receivers who tested at the NFL Scouting Combine in February. And his 40, which was run on grass, is about the equivalent of a 4.39 on turf -- a time that would have tied for second among receivers at the combine.

What makes the performance even more remarkable was that Boehringer did it at a height-weight combo (he measured 6-4 1/2 and 227 pounds on Thursday) resembling an NFL tight end. There just aren't many historical comparisons for a player testing like he did at that size. Two of the more recent, better comps might be Devin Funchess and Dorial Green-Beckham -- 2015 second-round picks by theCarolina Panthers and Tennessee Titans.

In the field drills, Boehringer caught every pass thrown his way despite some adventurous tosses by the quarterback. Scouts were curious if he had ever faced press coverage so they asked a couple of the defensive backs there to press him at the line of scrimmage, and he had no problems releasing. At least two teams wanted to see his blocking techniques as a tight end. And when he was coached up, he was able to immediately make corrections.

"I came here today knowing what I needed to do," the ultra-quiet Boehringer said in perfect English after his pro day. "But I didn't realize there was going to be so many people watching me."

Following his workout he was plastered in the locker room with questions from scouts who were getting their very first exposure to him. The Patriots,Packers, Vikings, Broncos and Chiefs appear particularly interested.

Chiefs GM John Dorsey, receiving a report from his scout on the ground at FAU, called Boehringer's agent, Kyle Strongin, in the middle of the workout and requested a visit. The Vikings scout -- who met with Boehringer Wednesday night and had introduced himself so Boehringer would remember him after the draft in his pitch to join Minnesota as a free agent -- was suddenly reassessing that plan Thursday, understanding the receiver would now likely cost his team a draft pick, maybe even a mid-rounder.

What complicates matters for NFL teams in trying to put a proper grade on Boehringer is that his evaluation is all projection. The level of play, even in Germany's top league where he dominated last season, is so far below the college level in the U.S. that all tape on him has little value aside from Madden-level entertainment.

• Upvote 1

Even watching his highlights though, the route tree he runs appears pretty limited. You rarely see him make any hard cuts and I think NFL DBs are going to destroy this fellow, early on at least. He's going to be a project who is going to see some success running fades and deep crosses until he can develop more. Intriguing tho.

I fully agree with you JD. Although the German leagues are one of if no the best in Europe. It is still below the levels of the NCCA.

The guys definitely has the psychical traits you would look for at the combine but he will be a project. That said I can see a team picking him up with a late round pick for sure.