Sign in to follow this  
Sarge

Sueños y Aventuras en Colombia

This is awesome, Sarge. I enjoy watching travel shows and learning about other cultures, but hearing it firsthand from a friend is infinitely better.

The more I read the more I wish I had stuck with Spanish after 5 years of it in school. I was to the point where all I needed was fluency and a larger vocabulary. Hopefully if I pick up a text book it'll come screaming back to me.

• Upvote 1

This is awesome, Sarge. I enjoy watching travel shows and learning about other cultures, but hearing it firsthand from a friend is infinitely better.

The more I read the more I wish I had stuck with Spanish after 5 years of it in school. I was to the point where all I needed was fluency and a larger vocabulary. Hopefully if I pick up a text book it'll come screaming back to me.

In addition to the text book, I also recommend downloading DuoLingo for your phone.It's a grammar app that you can use to learn any language. On its own, it won't make you fluent. But it will help you review most of the grammar you learned in the past.

I also suggest watching TV shows in Spanish. There is a great one that is free on YouTube called Extra. I show the English version to my students in class often. This show was made to target people who are learning a language. It uses simple, but natural, speech. It's kinda like an extremely-watered down version of Friends. Think about what Friends would be like if it was purposefully made as a language instruction show. Here's episode 1 in Spanish, if you want to give it a try.

The only potential issue is that it's in the Spanish from Spain. As you know, it is a bit different from the Spanish in Latin American, but it's definitely worth watching for beginners and intermediate students of Spanish regardless.

I also advise listening to music in Spanish. This song won Song of the Year at the Latin Grammys just about 3 weeks ago.

That guy, Carlos Vives, is a God here. You can't go anywhere during the day or night without hearing his songs blasting from the radio. I would compare his popularity here with Michael Jackson's popularity in the U.S. in the 90's. He's that big. He's just not an international sensation like Michael was.

Edited by Sarge
  • Upvote 1

Americans dont realize how much America actually sucks.

Said the American.

• Upvote 1

Wait wait. What happened with the lady friend?

Nothing bad happened between us. I told her I wanted to go to another city, and that she could come live with me there if she wanted. But we both knew that wasn't going to happen. Colombians don't just leave their families like that.

Two weeks until I leave for Manizales. I don't really have as much left to say as I thought.

It should be no surprise that futbol (soccer) is the most popular sport here. It is truly a staple of life here. I would say there is only one thing more beloved here than soccer: dancing. I don’t know though. That’s a stiff competition.

Anyway, futbol pervades every aspect of life here. When the national team plays in the Copa America or a World Cup qualifier, entire cities go nuts. The traffic is awful when everyone rushes to get to their favorite bar with their friends and family to see the game. My friends and I always made reservations a few days in advance to be sure we had a spot at our favorite hangout.

Most young boys here want to be the next James Rodriguez. Other than famous singers like Carlos Vives and Silvestre Dangond, James is the most beloved national hero in Colombia right now. Young people can be seen playing futbol anywhere where there is enough space. It’s fun to walk through one of the many big parks on a Saturday morning and watch the young people play futbol. Sometimes I even jump in myself for a few minutes, but I can’t keep up anymore. When Colombia’s team plays a big match, the city becomes a sea of yellow. I think there are people here who make a living solely by selling the national futbol shirts.

Talking about futbol might be the easiest way to strike up conversation and make friends. Even at the bars at night, groups of guys often kind of ignore the girls to talk futbol. In between dance sets, the guys pour drinks and shoot the shit about James, what’s going on in the world of futbol, and when and where the next pickup game is.

However lots of girls love futbol, too, and not just because they want to fit in with the guys. Girls futbol is really popular here. They enjoy sitting with the guys and drinking a beer and watching the game. They often swear at the refs when something bad happens as much as the guys do. It’s a sexy sight to behold.

I don't really have much else to say unless anyone has any questions. On to Manizales! :towel:

I really hope it's just because of the holidays, but I am having second thoughts about leaving. I hope I'm not making a big mistake. I'm going to miss my friends and the people I've met here a lot... and I kinda still miss my ex who would still totally take me back...

I really hope it's just because of the holidays, but I am having second thoughts about leaving. I hope I'm not making a big mistake. I'm going to miss my friends and the people I've met here a lot... and I kinda still miss my ex who would still totally take me back...

Go with your heart man, it always knows whats best for you. Don't rush into a decision in the heat of the moment either, you will almost always regret it.

My mind says go, my heart says stay.

And now my ex wants to see me...

Edited by Sarge

Yep. I'm really happy about it, and so are my friends.

And so is she. We hadn't seen or spoken to each other in over a month, but when she came over today, we picked up right where we had left off.

I feel so relieved. When it came down to it, I am sure I would have regretted leaving.

Yep. I'm really happy about it, and so are my friends.

And so is she. We hadn't seen or spoken to each other in over a month, but when she came over today, we picked up right where we had left off.

I feel so relieved. When it came down to it, I am sure I would have regretted leaving.

Like I said. Always stick with your heart, you can never go wrong then.

I just realized we weren't friends on Facebook. Sorry Matt, IIRC a while back I was in the process of trimming my friends list down, and at the time I was in a pissy mood and my mindset was "I'm never gonna see these guys in real life anyway" and removed some TGP folk lol. That's my bad. I sent you a request...if you can find it in your heart to forgive me. :/ lol

I'm happy for you, man. Sounds like you made the right decision. I'm curious, do your friends in Colombia watch the European leagues such as the Premier League or La Liga? Or do they just stick to watching the Colombian league and international games?

• Downvote 5

He just wants pictures of hot Colombian women, don't do it Sarge!

• Upvote 1

I'm happy for you, man. Sounds like you made the right decision. I'm curious, do your friends in Colombia watch the European leagues such as the Premier League or La Liga? Or do they just stick to watching the Colombian league and international games?

I heard that they do but that they generally avoid watching shit teams like Liverpool. :laserface:

They watch everything here. if it's soccer, they watch it. Well, except for the lolMLS.

Now that you're a TV star, will you still visit TGP on occasion?

I'll see if I can fit it in my schedule. ;)

Won't lie to you Sarge. You seemed very natural and fluid on camera. You may have a future there. You did an excellent job projecting your topic too.

• Upvote 2

I might get a chance to do that again in the near future.

My school wants me to do an online lesson for their website, too. :panic:

I'm going to start taking salsa dancing lessons next week.

Just had my first salsa lesson. Definitely wont be my last.

Looks like my life is headed for another (awesome) change.

17156045_10154402475300886_6042706597237

Me with world champion salsa dancer Nilson Castro! He's from Cali, a city far away in the south of Colombia. It is considered the capital of salsa. My instructor was able to convince him to come by our studio and give us a lesson. It was so awesome!

Sometimes I pinch myself to see if I am dreaming. A year ago I was getting ready for this trip, but I had no idea what would eventually happen. Going on TV, meeting and dancing with a world champion salsa dancer... I swear I am never leaving this place. I've had more fun and more amazing things happen to me in less than a year here than I did my entire adult life back home.

Edited by Sarge
  • Upvote 2